Reason 9.5 gets rated 10/10 by MusicTech

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
deepndark

10 Jun 2017

Gorgon wrote:
deepndark wrote:
Gorgon wrote:
deepndark wrote:Reason 9.5 rated as 10/10 makes sense already because it melted us together with all the other VST DAWs. We are not outsiders anymore.
No, it doesn't make any sense, and it has nothing to do with being an "outsider". A 10/10 means perfect, and Reason is by no means perfect.
10/10 doesn't mean it has to be perfect already. And please stop thinking your opinion cancels mine.
Lol what? This is called a discussion. I bring arguments. You can respond to those. A 10 out of 10 is the highest possible score meaning a perfect score. Ever been to school? Ever took a test where you didn't make a single mistake? That's a 10. Perfect score. 10 out of 10 is perfect. Reason isn't perfect. Nothing is. Period.
Um, you miss something very obvious here. They rated what was added to Reason 9.5. ... So when they rate Reason 10 in the future it may get 8/10. That's my Feckin PERIOD

pjeudy

10 Jun 2017

There will be no winners on the subject "does REASON 9.5 deserves a 10 out of 10 review score" Everyone will have a different rating/score from there point of view and need from the software. So it's useless to attack one another about this.

Having said that, I would give REASON 9.5 a 7 out of 10. Not 10/10, to me Propellerheads have many many updates and innovations to add to REASON before I can even see my self considering anything near a 9 out of 10 for REASON.

Reason is great fun to route and can do any genre of music out there and every single poster on Reasontalk.com Knows that! so let's all stop pretending that when someone has a criticism of REASON it's because they don't know how fun routing and CV's are and how easy it is to one click sync your RE's...we all on here know the benefits of REASON.

Once I'm done praising the routing options of REASON and the other good stuff ..I then turn my focus to other aspect of REASON that are not related to Syncing your licenses and routing cables..and that's where REASON stays at a 7/10 in my opinion, for my use, for the way I work.

With VST's now in REASON, I think REASON 10 will be more feature focused, I hope (I personally call for a complete REASON rewrite) but if not, more feature are needed in REASON IMO before it can consider a 8- 9/10 let alone 10/10 for REASON.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

AttenuationHz

10 Jun 2017

deepndark wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote:
deepndark wrote:Reason 9.5 rated as 10/10 makes sense already because it melted us together with all the other VST DAWs. We are not outsiders anymore.
By the same merit other DAWs should be rated 12/10 or 15/10 then! We have VST support but not VST 3 support, when other DAWs support vst3, the 10/10 rating is a little bit premature.
But other DAWs ain't Reason. I have tried out some other DAWs but they wouldn't get 12/10 because they don't feel as good as Reason.
You're completely missing the point though are you not! The 10/10 rating is only because VST's were added. I have used other daw's too and you are completely wrong there. Reason has a lot of great advantages over them but it doesn't come anywhere near them in terms of being streamlined. This is one of the reasons why people have been using other DAW's and Rewiring reason into them. The only thing that is needed in Reason (imo) for me to rate it more highly is proper editing tools on the sequencer for audio and for finishing projects. When that is a feature Reason will compete with the likes of ProTools as that is the industry standard. I could live without VST's as I have been doing all these years if those features were added first to pave the way for VST's. Adding VST's first is kind of backward its the difference between what we want and what we need.
pjeudy wrote:There will be no winners on the subject "does REASON 9.5 deserves a 10 out of 10 review score" Everyone will have a different rating/score from there point of view and need from the software. So it's useless to attack one another about this.

Having said that, I would give REASON 9.5 a 7 out of 10. Not 10/10, to me Propellerheads have many many updates and innovations to add to REASON before I can even see my self considering anything near a 9 out of 10 for REASON.

Reason is great fun to route and can do any genre of music out there and every single poster on Reasontalk.com Knows that! so let's all stop pretending that when someone has a criticism of REASON it's because they don't know how fun routing and CV's are and how easy it is to one click sync your RE's...we all on here know the benefits of REASON.

Once I'm done praising the routing options of REASON and the other good stuff ..I then turn my focus to other aspect of REASON that are not related to Syncing your licenses and routing cables..and that's where REASON stays at a 7/10 in my opinion, for my use, for the way I work.

With VST's now in REASON, I think REASON 10 will be more feature focused, I hope (I personally call for a complete REASON rewrite) but if not, more feature are needed in REASON IMO before it can consider a 8- 9/10 let alone 10/10 for REASON.
Exactly. 7 is generous though :lol: I'd probably give it a 6 now that I have used it for a few weeks (was 5/10)

Just to point out also MusicTech have partners that are vendors of software and hardware so you can bet your life that is why it got a 10/10 SALES! ADVERTISING! MARKET SHARES!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

deepndark

10 Jun 2017

AttenuationHz wrote: The 10/10 rating is only because VST's were added.
That's what I said: rating it 10/10 was because VSTs and delay compensation. The value of this update is monsterous and as it was free for Reason 9 owners, then overall it couldn't be better.
AttenuationHz wrote: I have used other daw's too and you are completely wrong there. Reason has a lot of great advantages over them but it doesn't come anywhere near them in terms of being streamlined.
This is my personal opinion, it doesn't make me being wrong about it. Reason is a virtual hardware studio, which looks and acts like a real hardware. Reason has one of the best "I know my tool" value.
AttenuationHz wrote: This is one of the reasons why people have been using other DAW's and Rewiring reason into them. The only thing that is needed in Reason (imo) for me to rate it more highly is proper editing tools on the sequencer for audio and for finishing projects. When that is a feature Reason will compete with the likes of ProTools as that is the industry standard. I could live without VST's as I have been doing all these years if those features were added first to pave the way for VST's. Adding VST's first is kind of backward its the difference between what we want and what we need.
Adding VST was the biggest feature wanted over any other features so change your "we" to "me" please.
Last edited by deepndark on 11 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Oquasec

10 Jun 2017

Reason needs 64bit precision, it's not gonna be a perfect score.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

esselfortium

11 Jun 2017

It was rated 10/10 by MusicTech.

It was rated 8/10 by Kombucha.

That's fine.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

deepndark

11 Jun 2017

My reasons to rate it 10/10:
1) It opened the doors to VST-world, which means we can buy lots of plugins that REs don't cover.
2) Delay compensation is good to have, when you want to hear it more in time.
3) FREE update for Reason 9 owners.
4) Affected me psychologically positively - we don't have to worry missing VSTs out.
5) Because Reason 9.5 proved that Props are on it.

joeyluck

11 Jun 2017

Kombucha wrote:That was little Johnny's test paper that I rated.

I guess I just don't understand why people demand that a 10/10 be recognized as some sort of life- affirming validation on their choice of software. Reason could get a 2/10 review and I makes not one iota of difference to the end user experience. Correction, it makes no difference to me. Others would be devastated, and scarred for life, by the sounds of it.
Actually, this seems to affect you greatly.

You seem to be more bothered by the 10/10 rating because you see it this way.

Also, this is not a competition rating. Publications do have awards for best DAW, in which they have to compare DAWs and somehow choose winners. The pros and cons at that point become different.

These types of reviews are clearly focused on rating the product itself and it's value. No other DAW is Reason with the rack and cabling approach. So no other DAW can ever have a 10/10 in my book if I'm comparing it to Reason. But if I'm an un-biased reviewer, I will review another DAW for what it is and give consideration to what it offers.

Lov2sing

11 Jun 2017

:ugeek: Being I have had Reason since 2.5 and have seen its development I give it a 10 for continuing effort. Yea I like to see them add video, more midi control and a host of other things but it takes time to program new features and keep the integrity of the old. Unless all who criticize can help program the features they want then maybe it would be kind to say; thanks Props. Although since Reason 8 my Mac tells me it's to slow to render most songs, that's on me for hardware that is old does not help get all the progress this version can do. I'm sure those that graded 9.5 have the latest in computer technology so they may see something that we are not seeing. All I'm saying if you're not going to be part of the solution then give them a break and don't be part of a problem. This is IMO and I stick with the grading of 10. Way to go Reason.
We make music for a reason

joeyluck

11 Jun 2017

Kombucha wrote:
joeyluck wrote: Actually, this seems to affect you greatly.

You seem to be more bothered by the 10/10 rating because you see it this way.
Because I see what in which way ? 10/10 is not open to conjecture. Is is a PERFECT SCORE. Just as with little Johnny's school test analogy, should he get 10/10 if he only answered 8 questions correctly?

And in this article, it's a random number pulled out of thin air, with no reference to scoring criteria. I am a certified judge in another hobby of mine, and took over 18 months just to become qualified for such an accreditation. The 'things' (I am keeping this deliberately ambiguous) we judge are based on a very specific criteria of elements that make up the overall score, and each entry is scored within a set of official guidelines, by no less than three judges per category of entry. If (and this has NEVER happened) an entrant were to receive a perfect score, and you were to ask me or the steward how this could be possible, I could very clearly and concisely explain the scoring criteria.

In the case of the MusicTech article, they are reviewing a DAW that is currently available in the market, and they have assigned a 10/10 score. They are not reviewing the update. And for arguments sake, let's say they ARE only reviewing the update, rather than the DAW, then they should specifically state that. Regardless, is it a 10/10 implementation ? Does the update deserve a perfect score ? Is the VST implementation the best possible VST implementation amongst all the DAWS available ?

But if some want to put so much stead in an article in which the closing summary refers to Reason 9.5 as "like the Simpsons meets the Family Guy, only better", then it only illustrates that the article serves a purpose that is nothing more than whimsical junk journalism.
Because of the mere fact that you take so much issue with it. MusicTech feels it is a 10/10. The argument is that everyone is allowed their opinion. I've rated many things in the Propellerhead shop 5/5. Everything from Little LFO, which is a simple free device to The Legend, a $99 beast of a synth. I think you're putting too much thought and energy into this trying to discredit an opinion that you say doesn't matter to you.

AttenuationHz

11 Jun 2017

deepndark wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote: The 10/10 rating is only because VST's were added.
That's what I said: rating it 10/10 was because VSTs and delay compensation. The value of this update is monsterous and as it was free for Reason 9 owners, then overall it couldn't be better.
AttenuationHz wrote: I have used other daw's too and you are completely wrong there. Reason has a lot of great advantages over them but it doesn't come anywhere near them in terms of being streamlined.
This is my personal opinion, it doesn't make me being wrong about it. Reason is a virtual hardware studio, which looks and acts like a real hardware. Reason has one of the best "I know my tool" value.
AttenuationHz wrote: This is one of the reasons why people have been using other DAW's and Rewiring reason into them. The only thing that is needed in Reason (imo) for me to rate it more highly is proper editing tools on the sequencer for audio and for finishing projects. When that is a feature Reason will compete with the likes of ProTools as that is the industry standard. I could live without VST's as I have been doing all these years if those features were added first to pave the way for VST's. Adding VST's first is kind of backward its the difference between what we want and what we need.
Adding VST was the biggest feature wanted over any other features so change your "we" to "me" please.
First off you're still missing the point I made. That's fine you are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to disagree. I did just literally say we all wanted VST! We didn't need them!!!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Gorgon

11 Jun 2017

deepndark wrote: 4) Affected me psychologically positively
Figured as much. :P
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Gorgon

11 Jun 2017

joeyluck wrote:Because of the mere fact that you take so much issue with it. MusicTech feels it is a 10/10. The argument is that everyone is allowed their opinion. I've rated many things in the Propellerhead shop 5/5. Everything from Little LFO, which is a simple free device to The Legend, a $99 beast of a synth. I think you're putting too much thought and energy into this trying to discredit an opinion that you say doesn't matter to you.
He doesn't "take issue" with it. He's explaining why it isn't a 10/10. He's using the same arguments that I've used. 10/10 is a perfect score and Reason is far from perfect. Several features in Reason are so sub-par that they would probably score a 4/10.

Rating things in the shop to give them a good score is quite different from grading software in (internet) magazines. You vote high to negate the spiteful low votes, which is why you vote a 10 on IMDB when you've seen a good movie (but not perfect) or score 5 stars on facebook for a restaurant (which might have been an 8 or a 9).

A 10/10 is a perfect score. Period. And nothing is perfect. Well, maybe Scarlett Johansson.

"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Gaja

11 Jun 2017

If he's scoring 10/10 in a school test does that make him a perfect child? Either the analogy is flawed, or it proves the point that you can score 10/10 without being perfect, no? I accept that you don't rate it 10/10, and I wouldn't give it a 10/10 either, never been too big on the whole vst thing... just saying the analogy you chose wouldn't get a 10/10 rating.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
Cheers!
Fredhoven

AttenuationHz

11 Jun 2017

Gorgon wrote:
A 10/10 is a perfect score. Period. And nothing is perfect. Well, maybe Scarlett Johansson.

Yeah the photoshopped version! :thumbs_up: :puf_bigsmile:

Oquasec

11 Jun 2017

As a guy who was a fanboy since 5, Reason is not a perfect 10 by a longshot.
Producer/Programmer.

Gaja

11 Jun 2017

Kombucha wrote:
Gaja wrote:If he's scoring 10/10 in a school test does that make him a perfect child? Either the analogy is flawed, or it proves the point that you can score 10/10 without being perfect, no? I accept that you don't rate it 10/10, and I wouldn't give it a 10/10 either, never been too big on the whole vst thing... just saying the analogy you chose wouldn't get a 10/10 rating.
It makes him the perfect child in the test that has been performed. He's ACED it, what more could you expect ! Little Johnny's not old enough yet to be in a bell-curve environment. Stop being so hard on the kid. He got a perfect score. :lol: :lol: :lol:
So you agree that he can score the perfect test and it's still perfectly fine for him to, for example, not be able to swim properly, or ride a bike? :lol:
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Jagwah

11 Jun 2017

Something could be given a 10/10 but that is to say that it is simply great for what it is, but also unbeatable for its time.

Bit weird to give a DAW a 10/10, just opens it up to criticism and also lowers the integrity of the person claiming it's so. More likely a bunch of coconuts might have been handed over to influence such a thing. :D

EnochLight

11 Jun 2017

Kombucha wrote:
EnochLight wrote:It's a great review, for sure - and one that I feel earned every star of those 10 stars.
10/10 is suggestive of perfection, and Reason is far from that. There are some basic functions that every other DAW ha had for a decade or more that is missing from Reason. If you want to measure it as what it once was , a "Super Synth Plugin" then yes maybe it deserves 10/10 now. But it's being written of as a DAW, and in this class it is clearly still lacking some basic key features.
Simply put: my wife is a 10. Does she still have things that irritate me? Absolutely. But that doesn't take away from everything else - it's a package deal. So yeah, I feel Reason deserves every star of that 10-star review. Also:
EnochLight wrote:That said, even though I've never found MusicTech or Music Radar reviews to be that biased, they often miss the mark. There's absolutely no mention of the DSP/CPU use that many people seem to be suffering from, which I find odd. Makes me wonder if Andy Jones actually a/b'd other DAW's at all. That single thing is far more important than "the graphic representation of the VSTs in the Rack is small". I mean, seriously? Lol
I mean come on now man - I'm not that unreasonable! :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight

11 Jun 2017

Kombucha wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote: Just to point out also MusicTech have partners that are vendors of software and hardware so you can bet your life that is why it got a 10/10 SALES! ADVERTISING! MARKET SHARES!
Yep, this is the real story we should be analysing. If its a 'cash for comment' piece (as SO MANY MAGAZINE ARE, MARK MY WORDS), then of course it's going to get an implausible score.
In this example, if this were truly the case - Reason would have walked away with a 10-star review many times in the past. But it hasn't. This is the first time I can recall from memory - in many years of being reviewed by MusicTech.

I'm not suggesting that magazine reviews aren't bought and partnerships don't exist. I'm merely suggesting that correlation does not imply causation. Anyway, if this review was actually bought - why was it so poorly written? ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight

11 Jun 2017

Oquasec wrote:Reason needs 64bit precision, it's not gonna be a perfect score.
Oquasec wrote:As a guy who was a fanboy since 5, Reason is not a perfect 10 by a longshot.
It may not be a 10 by your metric, but it most certainly does 64-bit summing in the mix, which is pretty damn precise by any measure! If you're referring to the floating point arithmetic, there is virtually nothing to be gained by going 64-bit FPU aside from doing unnecessary math. Would love to be proven wrong, though.

Oquasec

11 Jun 2017

You can process at whatever rate you like (theoretically) and if the end medium is going to be a 16bit 44.1 cd all you benefit from is the greater accuracy within the realm of internal processing, not recording or converting.
Producer/Programmer.

EnochLight

11 Jun 2017

Oquasec wrote:You can process at whatever rate you like (theoretically) and if the end medium is going to be a 16bit 44.1 cd all you benefit from is the greater accuracy within the realm of internal processing, not recording or converting.
Again, switching to 64-bit FPU from 32-bit FPU will have virtually no affect aside from doing unnecessary math. If you can offer an actual example of improved sound quality, I'm all ears though.

But, I digress. We're about to get this thread derailed. If you'd like to send me examples, we can take this discussion to PM?

AttenuationHz

11 Jun 2017

EnochLight wrote:
Kombucha wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote: Just to point out also MusicTech have partners that are vendors of software and hardware so you can bet your life that is why it got a 10/10 SALES! ADVERTISING! MARKET SHARES!
Yep, this is the real story we should be analysing. If its a 'cash for comment' piece (as SO MANY MAGAZINE ARE, MARK MY WORDS), then of course it's going to get an implausible score.
In this example, if this were truly the case - Reason would have walked away with a 10-star review many times in the past. But it hasn't. This is the first time I can recall from memory - in many years of being reviewed by MusicTech.

I'm not suggesting that magazine reviews aren't bought and partnerships don't exist. I'm merely suggesting that correlation does not imply causation. Anyway, if this review was actually bought - why was it so poorly written? ;)
What makes you think the writer rated it 10? ;)

EnochLight

11 Jun 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:What makes you think the writer rated it 10? ;)
Just a hunch but... perhaps the glaring 10/10 rating in his article? ;)
uhhhhhh.JPG
uhhhhhh.JPG (159.51 KiB) Viewed 1575 times

• Information