Coarse Remote Override Mapping: A Real Drawback to Live Twiddling

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jonheal

12 Jul 2017

My shtick is to use Reason pretending I am tweaking a collection of real hardware devices in front of me. My “euroid” experience. I use a BRC-2000 almost exclusively for this activity. As most probably know, there are 128 possible values in the range of motion of knobs and sliders on Reason devices, but that by holding down the SHIFT key, you can get much smoother and more granular range of possible values. This increase in resolution cannot be applied to Remote Mapped controller knobs, however. At least not on the BCR-2000

I assume that internally, Reason is employing NRPN trickery to squeeze 14-bit resolution out of what would otherwise be an 8-bit range.

The BCR-2000 can be programmed to allow its rotary encoders to make use of this 14-bit range. Unfortunately, Reason performs a SysEx wipe on the BCR-2000 every time it starts up (to load the custom remote map), so there appears to be no way to get NRPN settings applied to the BCR-2000’s encoders after the fact.

This is a real drawback for live knob twiddling, especially if you are attempting to turn a knob slowly. The stair stepping audio is very obvious and really detracts from the experience.
If there is another controller with endless encoders that can take advantage of 14-bit resolution in Reason, I would probably abandon my beloved BCR-2000.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Raveshaper

12 Jul 2017

Look into getting the Livid Code.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

Ostermilk

12 Jul 2017

Is it possible to get the custom codec (or remote map) to upload the required SysEx to do what you want at launch time, (I said launch not lunch btw). or at least nobble the current reset request (in the codec or map).

Not that I'd know how to go about it but there's likely some Sysex wizards around here that could come up with something.

jonheal

12 Jul 2017

Ostermilk wrote:
12 Jul 2017
Is it possible to get the custom codec (or remote map) to upload the required SysEx to do what you want at launch time, (I said launch not lunch btw). or at least nobble the current reset request (in the codec or map).

Not that I'd know how to go about it but there's likely some Sysex wizards around here that could come up with something.
Maybe so. Now awaiting wizards ...

jonheal

12 Jul 2017

I opened the Behringer.remotecodec in a text editor and it is compiled code, so wizardry definitely required.

artotaku

12 Jul 2017

Behringer.remotecodec is a exe or dll on Windows. You´d have to reverse engineer and patch it (assembler/machine code) which may be an interesting endeavour for educational purposes but most likely not what you want to do ;-)

Another option may be to write your own codec.

Last but not least - if the Behringer codec sends sysex MIDI to the controller during initialization you could intercept the MIDI message with BOME or another 3rd party MIDI tool as a man in the middle via virtual MIDI port and send something completely different to the controller.

jonheal

12 Jul 2017

artotaku wrote:
12 Jul 2017
Behringer.remotecodec is a exe or dll on Windows. You´d have to reverse engineer and patch it (assembler/machine code) which may be an interesting endeavour for educational purposes but most likely not what you want to do ;-)

Another option may be to write your own codec.

Last but not least - if the Behringer codec sends sysex MIDI to the controller during initialization you could intercept the MIDI message with BOME or another 3rd party MIDI tool as a man in the middle via virtual MIDI port and send something completely different to the controller.
This is something I won't be tackling. :) If a genius out there wants to plop a solution into my lap, I will take it, but until then, I guess I will either put up with ragged value changes, or wait until I hear about a controller that supports higher precision in Reason. I checked out the Livid Code, but it is discontinued, and I am not terribly interested in a non-supported product. Plus, I looked in its Lua codec and its rotaries were specified as min=0, max=127. Maybe that is not cut in stone, but like I said, I'm not going down that path.

• Information