Is there any way for Kong to trigger NNXT keys??

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Puckboy2000

14 Jun 2015

I want to load a percussion sample and use kong pads to trigger it in different keys. Is that possible to do directly? I think I can do it by toting it thru Tic Tic. But maybe someone knows a direct way??? Thanks.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

electrochoc (PRX-A)

14 Jun 2015

Do you mean like: using the pads as notes? Or using only one pad to get various notes?

In the first case, it would maybe be better to use the NN-19 sampler, so you can play a percussion sample like if it was an instrument...

I'm waiting for your precisions before going into more details...
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

Puckboy2000

14 Jun 2015

Percussion as an instrument. But only one sample so I can play it like an instrument. So loading one hi hat sample in middle C and then having the Kong play certain notes (i.e - one pad to C1, another to A1, another to C2, etc). Thanks.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

electrochoc (PRX-A)

14 Jun 2015

Puckboy2000 wrote:Percussion as an instrument. But only one sample so I can play it like an instrument. So loading one hi hat sample in middle C and then having the Kong play certain notes (i.e - one pad to C1, another to A1, another to C2, etc). Thanks.
OK, I get it!

My first reflex is to recommand you to use NN-19 anyway, because, this way, you can turn any sample into an playable instrument. But I'm guessing that you may want to use a pad controller or something like this with specific pads set to specific notes, and this, with notes not necessarily in the order you'll get on a classic keyboard...

And I see the problem with Kong: the pitch knobs cannot be set to one specific note (which is a serious limitation!).

My solution would be the following, but take note I'm sometimes not the one who will find the simplest solutions! :D

Instead of loading your samples into Kong, create a NN-19 while holding Shift, delete the track associated to it, and then load your sample into the NN-19. Connect the CV-out of one Kong pad to the gate CV-in of the NN-19. Set the release fader of the NN-19's amp envelop to its maximum (127) (important if you want the NN-19 to play the whole sample regardless of how long you press the Kong's pad). Press the pad controlling the NN-19, and you should hear your sample.

By default, the NN-19's sample will be played "as is", its root pitch level. With the Osc section of the NN-19, you will be able to adjust the pitch of the sample to the desired one way more easily than within Kong.

Once there, you can duplicate the NN-19, connect the copies to the different pads and set the copies to different pitch values.

Sure, it's not the most handy setting, and there's maybe a simpler way to get the same result... Let me know if it works well for you: meanwhile, I'll try to think of some simpler ways to achieve that result!
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

Benedict
Competition Winner

14 Jun 2015

I am assuming the reason you want Kong to control a synth is for the MPC style performance thing. If so then leave Kong out of it as it doesn't do what you want (and you be using keys anyway to trigger) and step back and use a physical controller surface as most will let you do exactly what you ask. My P6 automatically maps its 12 pads across an octave when focused on a synth.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

kloeckno

14 Jun 2015

You can use Kong for the Gate CV outputs, merge those and connect to an NN-XT, and use Thors or some other device to output Note CVs. You can easily set up custom scales that way using the modifier knobs on Thor. I've done this before with my Korg padKontrol and it works great. I just use the free CV-8 gateway RE to merge all of the notes together and feed that into any synth or sampler.

Puckboy2000

14 Jun 2015

Puckboy2000 wrote:Percussion as an instrument. But only one sample so I can play it like an instrument. So loading one hi hat sample in middle C and then having the Kong play certain notes (i.e - one pad to C1, another to A1, another to C2, etc). Thanks.
electrochoc (PRX-A) wrote:
OK, I get it!

My first reflex is to recommand you to use NN-19 anyway, because, this way, you can turn any sample into an playable instrument. But I'm guessing that you may want to use a pad controller or something like this with specific pads set to specific notes, and this, with notes not necessarily in the order you'll get on a classic keyboard...

And I see the problem with Kong: the pitch knobs cannot be set to one specific note (which is a serious limitation!).

My solution would be the following, but take note I'm sometimes not the one who will find the
electrochoc (PRX-A) wrote:simplest
electrochoc (PRX-A) wrote: solutions! :D

Instead of loading your samples into Kong, create a NN-19 while holding Shift, delete the track associated to it, and then load your sample into the NN-19. Connect the CV-out of one Kong pad to the gate CV-in of the NN-19. Set the release fader of the NN-19's amp envelop to its maximum (127) (important if you want the NN-19 to play the whole sample regardless of how long you press the Kong's pad). Press the pad controlling the NN-19, and you should hear your sample.

By default, the NN-19's sample will be played "as is", its root pitch level. With the Osc section of the NN-19, you will be able to adjust the pitch of the sample to the desired one way more easily than within Kong.

Once there, you can duplicate the NN-19, connect the copies to the different pads and set the copies to different pitch values.

Sure, it's not the most handy setting, and there's maybe a simpler way to get the same result... Let me know if it works well for you: meanwhile, I'll try to think of some simpler ways to achieve that result!
Thanks. I never considered multiple instances. Might be too much work (for me that is) to tune all the samples and route them all up. I have a low tolerance for the routing stuff. I want to get to playing music as fast as possible.

Puckboy2000

14 Jun 2015

Benedict wrote:I am assuming the reason you want Kong to control a synth is for the MPC style performance thing. If so then leave Kong out of it as it doesn't do what you want (and you be using keys anyway to trigger) and step back and use a physical controller surface as most will let you do exactly what you ask. My P6 automatically maps its 12 pads across an octave when focused on a synth.

:)
Thanks Benedict. That was my first instinct was just to play it on the keyboard. I have done it with the complete drums before. But I was thinking I could get some better grooves and more life out of the pads due due the velocity sensitivity. Also the pads have a roll feature that can do a double hit that I wanted to incorporate. :)

Puckboy2000

14 Jun 2015

kloeckno wrote:You can use Kong for the Gate CV outputs, merge those and connect to an NN-XT, and use Thors or some other device to output Note CVs. You can easily set up custom scales that way using the modifier knobs on Thor. I've done this before with my Korg padKontrol and it works great. I just use the free CV-8 gateway RE to merge all of the notes together and feed that into any synth or sampler.
Hi Kloekno. Your idea sounds very interesting. I follow you up until using the Thor to for the different notes. Can you explain the set up in more detail. I have only used the Thor for regular instrument use only. Thanks.

Kazz

16 Jun 2015

Maybe I missed something, but what's wrong with using the NN-Nano built into Kong if you just want to trigger samples? You can load whatever you want into it..,

Puckboy2000

16 Jun 2015

Kazz wrote:Maybe I missed something, but what's wrong with using the NN-Nano built into Kong if you just want to trigger samples? You can load whatever you want into it..,

I could do that. But then I would have to Pre-tune the samples before hand. I just want to load one tuned sample in a sampler at middle .C. Then play it at different notes like a synth. But rather than just using the keyboard, I want to use midi pads and the kong.

electrofux

16 Jun 2015

First you take the https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... generator/ and set up the knobs to reflect the note numbers you want to trigger. Then you plug the CV Outs into the 8 CV-A Ins of the https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/cv-gateway/.
Then you plug 8 of the Gate Outs of Kongs Pads into the Gate- Ins of the CV-Gateway.
Connect the Gate and Note CV Outs of the CV Gateway to the NNXT.

Not 100% sure if and how you chain CV-Gatesways to access all 16 Kongpads but there should be a way.

nikolafeve

16 Jun 2015

i just make this patch for you

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bxdj3p2ifdry5 ... t.cmb?dl=0

it works here :)
Reason 10 - UA Apollo Twin -  OSX 10.13.6 - MacBook Pro 15inch 2018 - 2.2Ghz Intel Core i7 - RAM 16GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 - Radeon Pro 555X 4096 MB

Puckboy2000

16 Jun 2015

nikolafeve wrote:i just make this patch for you

Thanks! I will have pirate my wife's drop box account to grab it!

Puckboy2000

18 Jun 2015

nikolafeve wrote:i just make this patch for you

Hi Niko.

I downloaded it, but I am a bit confused.
How does the RPG-8 come into play?

If I am hitting the Kong pads on my Midi 16 pad device, it will trigger the gate on the NNXT.
But how are the notes being triggered if I am hitting the pads if the Note CV into the NNXT is coming from RPG-8???

Thanks,

Attachments
NNXT_Combi.jpg
NNXT_Combi.jpg (2.28 MiB) Viewed 2459 times

nikolafeve

18 Jun 2015

Hey Puckboy2000

Assign to good notes to each pad of your controller with its own editor (i assume it's already done), and plug your controller directly in the combinator (not on the kong)
Reason 10 - UA Apollo Twin -  OSX 10.13.6 - MacBook Pro 15inch 2018 - 2.2Ghz Intel Core i7 - RAM 16GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 - Radeon Pro 555X 4096 MB

Puckboy2000

18 Jun 2015

nikolafeve wrote:Hey Puckboy2000

Assign to good notes to each pad of your controller with its own editor (i assume it's already done), and plug your controller directly in the combinator (not on the kong)
Sorry Niko, I am still confused. I am not sure how to assign notes.
Can you assign notes to each pad from the NNXT in the combinator?
I also don't understand how the RPGS-8 comes into play.
I have no idea how to map midi to devices. I just plug and play. Sorry for my confusion and thanks.

nikolafeve

18 Jun 2015

You don't need to care about the rpg8 i wil not explain all the routings (too long, complicated). Just play with your controller directly in the track of the combinator. If you want to change what note is send from your controller (i assume it's already well configured by the factory settings) you will need to change the configuration of your controller directly with editor software provide by the manufacter of your device

Puckboy2000

18 Jun 2015

Thanks. I will try it out.

• Information