Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
bpmorton

23 Sep 2017

wow. what a bunch of crybabies. I seem to remember last upgrade they did not show all the improvements at the first announcement. Just relax and wait for more info.

teddymcw

23 Sep 2017

Ya, I would've liked the Reason dollars I spend to go just to programming work flow and other features after the VST release. Yet, Props has some extra credit to spend imho after unexpectedly unleashing the singularity in 9.5.

PurpleMonkeyDishwasher's point about sound being best out sourced is very, very well taken. I'm sure many of us have tons to explore with new VSTs (even just free ones) and recents like Nostromo, Vk-2, Proton, etc. So sure it's disappointing to get hyped over a new version only to hear it gives you more butter when you have jars of butter. But stop filling the forum with mounds of superficial complaining, viewpoints please.

As has been said, they're playing the user / money game by making an attractive product and then hopefully they'll reinvest some of that profit make the product more technical and smooth. Again they have earned some credit and bought some time for me in this last year. Their marketing policy is most frustrating to me. It would only help to say, 'more workflow enhancements coming in updates to this version.' That language doesn't break a code of silence, make bad promises or put unneeded pressure on devs to release anything. It just lets folks like us here know that they are truly listening to the minutiae and plan to act given the resources. Ernst said the strain was always resources, not technical possibility.

Vidplay costs a little money but I hear it can start to satisfy one's scoring needs in Reason. Sorry, I haven't tried, just hearsay.

teddymcw

23 Sep 2017

I'll personally wait until they throw in Layers or something else during the Holidays and then grab the update holding faith that the point updates over the next year or so will give some good stuff. Why wait to play with the new synths if they are as advertised? The dev team is larger now and they've had a better churn rate. That extra capital and competition is good imo, just have to wait as 'powerusers' rather than beginners. (I'm in between FTR.) I don't feel like this is some dictatorial abusive relationship or something, it's more like your spouse coming home after work and trying to please the whole family which is impossible and frustrating but eventually you'll get your special caring time.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2017

God what a whinefest. I know constructive criticism is good and some is valid for sure, but as a whole it's been a long time since I've seen so much negativity gathered in one place.

To be honest, this is the upgrade I've felt most excited by so far and I've been a user for about 5-6 years. I don't care too much about VSTs. I'd much rather get more awesome REs/stock devices. The workflow stuff I'm sure could improve but it works well enough for me as it is. Not a big deal for me. More and more will come eventually.

I want the fun stuff that's gonna inspire me to make new exciting music. I think the new two synths look great. Seems like they're easy to work with and with just enough features for my taste.

The three new sample based REs look nice to me too, like three new ID8s but better and more focused. Sometimes the simplest things are the best imo.

And lastly, I'm most likely in the minority here but I'm even excited about the new sample/drum library as I haven't went out and gathered much of that before.

stephensmattlee

23 Sep 2017

Don’t get me wrong, I was also one of those who dreamed that Reason 10 was going to be a huge step forward with a new visual look and enhancements under the hood but, if I take a step back for a second, we did finally get Vst support not too long ago (which was huge! ... and for free!). That easily could have been the big new feature of Reason 10 but instead they gave us the feature for free.
I’m liking the look of the new instruments with Reason 10, they do look really inspiring.

I know a lot of others has high hopes of what they envisioned R10 to be, but I guess we’ll have to wait a little longer for some of those features (maybe 10.5?).
In the mean time no one is forcing you to upgrade, could hold back and wait to see what 10.5 or 11 brings to the table

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aeox
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2017

stephensmattlee wrote:
23 Sep 2017
Don’t get me wrong, I was also one of those who dreamed that Reason 10 was going to be a huge step forward with a new visual look and enhancements under the hood but, if I take a step back for a second, we did finally get Vst support not too long ago (which was huge! ... and for free!). That easily could have been the big new feature of Reason 10 but instead they gave us the feature for free.
I’m liking the look of the new instruments with Reason 10, they do look really inspiring.

I know a lot of others has high hopes of what they envisioned R10 to be, but I guess we’ll have to wait a little longer for some of those features (maybe 10.5?).
In the mean time no one is forcing you to upgrade, could hold back and wait to see what 10.5 or 11 brings to the table

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that decision was so that VST support didn't overshadow the new synths :) Good call though. The new synths look pretty sweet.

seqoi

23 Sep 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
23 Sep 2017

And lastly, I'm most likely in the minority here but I'm even excited about the new sample/drum library as I haven't went out and gathered much of that before.
No you aren't there is more excitement around update it is likely people does not post in this nonsense thread.

You gotta love how some people live under impression Reasontalk forum is majority and last ford of Reason userbase.

GRIFTY

23 Sep 2017

bruh version 8 brought *THE* new look to reason. don't expect a visual update for a bit, it's modern enough looking imo. What reason NEEDS is a new sampler and some straight up sequencer modernization. oh and a scalable GUI. but there's literally nothing to whine about with this update, i don't think anybody has ever heard a monster synth and said "you know what, no, that's not for me". to the guy on the first page whining about no sample loading in malstrom..... wtf do you think the new synth is? it's a graintable synth bruh, people are literally impossible to please

Reasonable man

23 Sep 2017

I think it depends on who you are/ where your comming from. Obviously there be are alot of guys who work hard to be able to afford a small studio set up and have coughed up for all the VST'S and RE's that all that requires and entails and are dissapointed with this update as it gives them a few new stock synths that are (lets be honest).. very proabably inferior to what they have bought and are succussfuly using already.Then there are the professionals out there that desperatley crave professional workflow enhancements and audio editing options that are standard in other Daws. This update obviously offers them nothing they need.
I'm one of life's losers and penniless ta boot! My (very late) introduction to (music) tecnology was Reason 8 in 2016. Obviously this update is massive for me as i get a bit of wavetable and additive synthesis and Re's for €129 and an option For VST . I am happy about the extra libraries in the other two synths as stuff like Omnisphere or Kontact are impossible as my aleady overloaded macbook couldn't handle them in a proffesional usage scenario anyways.
This update is for the little guy and gives them some chance to at least compete with the hardened pro's as there probably isn't another Daw out there now right now that will provide such a solid library of varied sounds to make professional orientated music with right off the bat. I feel for anyone unlucky enough to have bought R9 in the last month or two though , they should be given a half price deal on R10

EdGrip

23 Sep 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
23 Sep 2017
God what a whinefest.
This. There's a worrying amount of stupid kicking around in this thread too.

Tweak

23 Sep 2017

Creativemind wrote:
22 Sep 2017
For people saying synths are needed and more needed than workflow enhancements. 2 things:-

1) Why not just give us a couple of synths, say Europa and Grain (and maybe throw in Synhcronous too) and then give us other workflow stuff too? not to address one or the other is not covering all bases and satisfying all people imo.

2) If a poll was done on this site particularly which would you like to see in Reason 10 - Just new synths and sounds or lots of core workflow enhancements and new features. I think workflow / features would sail home. As stated by other people in this thread, instruments and sounds are covered vastly with Re's, VST's, Sample Libraries and Refills.

If a third option was added, a combination of 1 and 2, then that would probably be a high contender too, if not win. In fact, I'm tempted start a poll with these options lol!
Spot on! But remember, there would be a bunch of people not taking part in this poll who play a major part in the props plans - potential new buyers of the application. This version is 100% geared to them.

EdGrip

23 Sep 2017

Krell

23 Sep 2017

[/quote]

Spot on! But remember, there would be a bunch of people not taking part in this poll who play a major part in the props plans - potential new buyers of the application. This version is 100% geared to them.
[/quote]

The first rule of business is to look after the customers you have as a priority. Getting new customers in by offering flashy new synths in an impressive looking package is all good and well but you're betting the farm on a maybe whereas giving existing users an improved DAW is a guaranteed income stream. Long time users drifting away because of long term issues (such as non-scalable UI and outdated sequencer) is not going to do anyone any favours.

Perhaps there will be some of these features in 10 but so far no PH staff have confirmed that and actually have been more about defending the content update nature of this release.

And for those accusing us of being negative, we're merely pointing out our opinion, which is a valid and legitimate thing to do. You can't disagree that there's some fundamental issues that need resolving regardless of how excited you might be about a new synth.
Reason 12 // Bitwig 4 // Live 11 // Logic Pro X // Fabfilter // Soundtoys // Arturia // Vintage Hardware

SebAudio

23 Sep 2017

There are only 2 problems with this version :
- it’‘s the 10th so a ´milestone ´ one : ppl expectations are very high
- the marketing headline
They should have made the 9.5 update a paid one with VST and with 10 content, released when everything were ready (so now) with a headline focused on synth/sounds etc.
Then they would have time to make version 10 ‘a big one ‘ (with retina support ;-)

Tweak

23 Sep 2017

Krell wrote:
23 Sep 2017
[/quote]

The first rule of business is to look after the customers you have as a priority. Getting new customers in by offering flashy new synths in an impressive looking package is all good and well but you're betting the farm on a maybe whereas giving existing users an improved DAW is a guaranteed income stream. Long time users drifting away because of long term issues (such as non-scalable UI and outdated sequencer) is not going to do anyone any favours.

Perhaps there will be some of these features in 10 but so far no PH staff have confirmed that and actually have been more about defending the content update nature of this release.

And for those accusing us of being negative, we're merely pointing out our opinion, which is a valid and legitimate thing to do. You can't disagree that there's some fundamental issues that need resolving regardless of how excited you might be about a new synth.
[/quote]

Completely agree. I think the props have missed an opportunity here. What they should have done is concentrate on improving the internals of the application - something only they can do. There's nothing stopping them from agreeing licensing deals with a variety of RE vendors to help add content to a particular release - this is a development free solution, so can be added whenever they please. Look at Radical Pianos for example, added to the bundle by them at no cost whatsoever. I personally cannot understand why they've chosen to create content themselves. We could've had the best of both worlds - new application internals programmed by propellerheads, and new licensed content bundled from third party developers.

Biolumin3sc3nt

23 Sep 2017

I can gripe with the best of em, but holy hell, Don't knock it till u try it! I'm very excited to try the new instruments and put them to the test - then I'll make my opinion

Ixus

23 Sep 2017

I wonder if Propellerhead have a drinking game everytime they announce a new update, drink when people complain about the new stuff. They must get hammered within the hour!

I've been wanting more choir stuff so im looking forward to try that out.

stevan

23 Sep 2017

Reason 10 ? I expect a substancial software enhancement with a major step in functionality or/and GUI.
But there is nothing and this is very dissapointing . At least , I would not very surprized, if they didn't iron
out that ugly graphic problem, coming with R 9.5.1. So, I have to stay on 9.5 :(
This is "just" a bunch of new RE's and some Loops/Sample Refills and in my opinion should they sell that
as a Bundle in the Prop-Shop, but not call it R10 . For the first time since R 1.0 I'll not buying a Reason update.
That means a lot for me, because I'm really a fanboy , but I'll have no real need for these new RE's .
Beside that, I'm very sure these new RE's are worth the 129.- € ... :puf_unhappy:
Last edited by stevan on 23 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Creativemind

23 Sep 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
23 Sep 2017
God what a whinefest. I know constructive criticism is good and some is valid for sure, but as a whole it's been a long time since I've seen so much negativity gathered in one place.

To be honest, this is the upgrade I've felt most excited by so far and I've been a user for about 5-6 years. I don't care too much about VSTs. I'd much rather get more awesome REs/stock devices. The workflow stuff I'm sure could improve but it works well enough for me as it is. Not a big deal for me. More and more will come eventually.
Not at all. Valid disappointment for me. The workflow stuff is the most important thing that needs addressing in Reason. I've been waiting 5 years just for little things like mute / unmute midi notes. I come across so many little things that just hinder my workflow a lot in Reason. Before anyone says, use another DAW, I love Reason and the way it works, just something about it makes me feel more creative, just want these little bugs in it as far as functionality / workflow goes sorted out. I could list them but I'd be here forever.

I just hope these things are gonna be addressed and not shown in the video. Obviously, we'll see. I somehow doubt it though. There's loads of midi editing things for one. The only midi editing things we've had added in 5 years (since 7) is double click with the pointer tool to add and remove notes, shift clicking to select notes (I think), lengthen / shorten notes from the start and slicing notes. There's loads more here...midi chase, note displays, ghost notes etc
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

taddx

23 Sep 2017

That Grain thing seems like hell a lot of fun. Can't wait.

Reasonable man

23 Sep 2017

Europa .........‘shapeshifting synthesizer’, a dynamically-generated wavetable instrument that enables you to apply a wide range of modulation to your waveform. This deep but supposedly accessible synth also offers spectral filtering, harmonics processing and the option to draw your own custom waveforms. Reason users will hope that this could be Propellerhead’s answer to the current wave of ‘supersynth’ plugins that’s doing the rounds.

I remember someone ages and ages ago posted a picture of thor's, Malstrom and Subtractors's sound spectrum and although they are great synths their graphs were filthy (full of artifacts) compared to expensive synths like Serum or Re synths like Paresq which graphs were clear as a bell. Does this mean that Reason's new synths may suffer the same problem? ( to lower cpu levels). I would be gratefull if one of the more experienced/advanced Reason users could help with a probability estimatation here as its not my area! I really could use some qualtiry sounding synths like Expanse and Parseq but cost and these new R10 synths muddy the waters . I have thus far been unable to use any of Reason's stock synths in a prominent way in a production without that slight 'mudiness'..... although in fairness my mixing/production skills aren't of a highlest professional nature as of yet. Thanks.

moneykube

23 Sep 2017

wow... 9 still stutters... so 10 is the answer.?) and then the bugs... jeeez.. fix 9... there is no reason for this.. 3 tracks should not stutter... never happened before... what is the deal with that? huh? poor form props... get it together please... never a stutter from 2.5 on... come on
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

alex

23 Sep 2017

Maybe a "content update only", however big it is, is not what you would expect from a "10" release, I can see that, BUT I agree with those who says that there's a lot of added value in this new version.

As a previous owner of RadPi and Synchronous, I'm still very excited! I welcome the bigger factory sound library and the three soundiron sampled instruments ...

But, and above all, I just can't wait to put my hands on those two new synths, Europa and Grain! :)
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

moneykube

23 Sep 2017

fix 9... before 10... or you lost a customer that has spent much money

moneykube

23 Sep 2017

bye bye... negative bs
Last edited by moneykube on 24 Sep 2017, edited 4 times in total.

• Information