Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
swamptooth

30 Sep 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
29 Sep 2017

I completely agree it got inspiration from eXpanse suppose it could not do the full inspired rear without issues.

Grain on the other hand.... 100% Proton so much so I am wondering if Proton was alpha for Grain!

The sound is fking awesome despite the shitty quality of FB can't wait to try it out!
I see Europa as more like a cross between z3ta+2 and absynth and grain to me is almost a dead ringer for padshop.

AttenuationHz

30 Sep 2017

Youtube version posted?

It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

EnochLight

30 Sep 2017

Psuper wrote:
30 Sep 2017
Serious question for those who genuinely excited for the new synths. Do you believe Europa or the other synths in 10 is any better than the hundreds of options we already have?
After watching the livestream, I'd say yes - I do believe that Europa brings something new and fresh to Reason's native rack.
Psuper wrote:
30 Sep 2017
New synths just aren't something reason 'needs'. I can do anything I need with a combinator and stock stuff -
I'm not sure how you can make that claim after watching the livestream on Europa. It is literally impossible to do the stuff that it does "with a combinator and stock stuff". But if you're able to, I'd say your missing a market possibility then. Make some Refills and sell them!
Psuper wrote:
30 Sep 2017
- I'm not even taking into consideration the multitude of RE's or VSTs that do it better.
"Better" is a subjective claim, though. If you prefer to stay in Reason's rack, then Europa is clearly better. If you already own Serum, Avenger, etc - and prefer to work in VST in Reason, then clearly the value won't be there for you. I own both Expanse and Proton, and I'm willing to reserve judgement until release. Seems logical to compare, though.
Psuper wrote:
30 Sep 2017
I watched much of the livestream and read all I can about this 'upgrade' and am thoroughly unimpressed. Regardless of my desire to see workflow improved with the GUI and performance, I'm honestly curious why there's excitement to spend $130 on more of the same -- I don't see it.
They haven't even gotten into Grain yet, but the Europa livestream certainly demonstrates that it's a capable synth. Whether or not it brings value for you, is of course up to you. I already own Serum, Avenger, Expanse, and Proton - but Europa (and so far what has been shown with Grain) looks pretty cool. Not to mention the 3 Gigs of new loops/sample content.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EdGrip

30 Sep 2017

Psuper wrote:
30 Sep 2017
Serious question for those who genuinely excited for the new synths. Do you believe Europa or the other synths in 10 is any better than the hundreds of options we already have?

New synths just aren't something reason 'needs'. I can do anything I need with a combinator and stock stuff -- I'm not even taking into consideration the multitude of RE's or VSTs that do it better.

I watched much of the livestream and read all I can about this 'upgrade' and am thoroughly unimpressed. Regardless of my desire to see workflow improved with the GUI and performance, I'm honestly curious why there's excitement to spend $130 on more of the same -- I don't see it.
It's a synth which is 10 years more advanced than Thor, and competitive with current wavetable VSTs; and a granular synth, which Reason hasn't had up until now. So if "anything you need" would happen to include granular synthesis, currently, you'd be stuck.
Mainly this update is about bringing the software up to date for newcomers. If you are young and excited, and completely new to electronic music production, this update means you can buy Reason and not have to look elsewhere for synths for a while. It adds to the built-in toolbox. It makes Reason capable with no need to make excuses for itself - or its 10-year-old synths - in a world where Serum and co. now exist. The whole MO of Reason is that you don't have to add stuff.

If you've already built up a collection of modern synth plugins - this update doesn't offer much to you. But it offers a lot to someone starting out. Does that all make sense?

Creativemind

30 Sep 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Sep 2017
It's pretty interesting that some people here assume that EVERYONE is super disappointed with the new upgrade. Yet looking at the "will you upgrade" poll right now 57% says yes. 25% says no and 19% are unsure. Apparently a clear majority are happy enough to upgrade. It's likely that more people will upgrade after the point update(s) as well.

Different opinions and criticism are worth hearing for sure, but the tone and attitude in a few of these comments are absolutely horrible. I just don't see how that is necessary to get your point across.
What I would just like to say to that, not that I'm saying it isn't accurate but I clicked yes on that poll simply because I'm coming from 8.3 and from 8.3 to 10 seems worth it and I think (fingers crossed) Propellerhead will give us some decent point updates through the months after release. I'm still disappointed with this upgrade though, but Europa and Grain look fantastic and glad that with my leap, I will have Pulsar, Radical Piano and Synchronous in my arsenal as well. Just sad they focussed on one aspect in a significant update but then again, we don't know what exactly will be in 10, it isn't released yet.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

aeox
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2017

EdGrip wrote:
30 Sep 2017
Psuper wrote:
30 Sep 2017

New synths just aren't something reason 'needs'. I can do anything I need with a combinator and stock stuff -- I'm not even taking into consideration the multitude of RE's or VSTs that do it better.

It's a synth which is 10 years more advanced than Thor, and competitive with current wavetable VSTs; and a granular synth, which Reason hasn't had up until now. So if "anything you need" would happen to include granular synthesis, currently, you'd be stuck.
Mainly this update is about bringing the software up to date for newcomers. If you are young and excited, and completely new to electronic music production, this update means you can buy Reason and not have to look elsewhere for synths for a while. It adds to the built-in toolbox. It makes Reason capable with no need to make excuses for itself - or its 10-year-old synths - in a world where Serum and co. now exist. The whole MO of Reason is that you don't have to add stuff.

If you've already built up a collection of modern synth plugins - this update doesn't offer much to you. But it offers a lot to someone starting out. Does that all make sense?
👌

Creativemind

30 Sep 2017

MarkTarlton wrote:
26 Sep 2017
EnochLight wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Some people keep mentioning "the engine". I wonder if they believe Reason runs on petrol and pistons?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

On a serious note, no really - what is this "engine" people keep talking about? :?
not sure, but this is an interesting pop up screen :)Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 11.15.24 AM.png

GRIFTY

30 Sep 2017

i really wish chords&scales would get a "humanize" knob/button. having every note in a chord start at the same exact time sounds so robotic and cold to me

AttenuationHz

30 Sep 2017

GRIFTY wrote:
30 Sep 2017
i really wish chords&scales would get a "humanize" knob/button. having every note in a chord start at the same exact time sounds so robotic and cold to me
Can always copy to track and apply ReGroove! A shuffle knob would be nice though!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Psuper

30 Sep 2017

EdGrip wrote:
30 Sep 2017
Psuper wrote:
30 Sep 2017

Sure I get that. As a "never bought this software before" perspective its a 'new' product 10 versions in. However any seasoned app will have that same attractiveness regardless when you are coming into something you've never toyed with before.

And I agree, I've a collection specifically because we all do - some things Reason does great, some not at all - REs and VSTs are something anyone even remotely interested about making music will have, making the upgrade moot for many of us.

Reason 10 is for new users for sure. Certainly not for those of us who have been asking for an interface redesign, smoother workflow, etc for 10 years. We have plenty of "sounds synths and samples". And while we all want more, those are at the bottom of the list. And for $130 "upgrade"? Hard sell for the current user base; far too many other offerings giving far more for the price if you already have Reason.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

electrofux

30 Sep 2017

Finally heard the stereo stream and i like what i heard. Matthias pulled out some nice patches there.
I have quite a few Synths, probably too many, but i look forward to Europa nevertheless. Native Synths still have quite a few advantages over Res btw. As they said in the video there will most likely be tons of patches in the future and it seems to me Europa is pretty versatile when designing sounds. Also if it behaves like other propllerhead synths i expect alot of voices, they hinted on its cpu effectiveness at least.
I was sceptical regarding the update being "just" content but i think that is just fine for me.

Sure, if i would own a ton of samples, serum and the like, radical, proton etc. then i would maybe wait for the next update and probably even be a bit pissed. But hey, that update came alot earlier than previous ones. Now they have ticked the content from the todo list, maybe they get to workflow stuff and do it right too (waiting for 10 years for some features aswell).
Last edited by electrofux on 30 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Creativemind

30 Sep 2017

Skybot wrote:
27 Sep 2017
I'm really excited about Europa (and Grain), finaly the first Propellerhead synth with Unison and Unison Pan Spread, unbelievable that we had to wait 17 years for this. I always missed that in Thor, at least a Pan Spread for the Multi Osc, i still hoping for a Thor 2.
Thor 2.....with you on that one! :puf_smile:

QVprod

30 Sep 2017

Psuper wrote:
30 Sep 2017
What synths do you own that do more that Europa? Afaik, the only commercially released synths that functionally compare to it are Expanse, Zebra, Serum, and maybe Codex.There's also Falcon but thats an entirely different beast more comparable to the sound capabilities of Reason 10 itself than any single synth. All of them (excluding Codex) at normal price cost more (some considerably more) than the $129 you'd pay for the Reason upgrade. If you already have any of those synths mentioned then I can understand not being impressed, or if you have zero knowledge of synths at all. There really aren't hundreds of options like Europa and it's capable of sounds that aren't doable with Reason's stock Instruments. It's interesting you could watch the live stream and think so.

Personally I wouldn't say that I'm "excited" about Reason 10, but after the live stream, I'm definitely interested.

Creativemind

30 Sep 2017

per-anders wrote:
28 Sep 2017
nbot wrote:
28 Sep 2017
From latest 8. Does it make a difference?

Edit: I just saw your answer. I'm guessing what counts is when you upgraded to 9, correct?
The difference is simply. If you pay for an upgrade then you'll get Reason 10 for free. If not (i.e. if you have 9 you get 9.5 for free anyway) then you won't.

I actually wish us 9.x users could pre-order so we're not all feverishly trying to buy this on the release day when the servers are on the very of collapse from all the visitors.
That would be cool but shouldn't matter what version you're on to pre-order and upgrade.

Creativemind

30 Sep 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
29 Sep 2017
My mind is already racing at the possibilities, and this is before Grain (which I think is gonna be immense).

Can’t wait!
Yeah me neither...looking forward to hearing / seeing Grain in action next week. Can't wait to hear what that Pan Spread knob does to the sound for one.

miscend

30 Sep 2017

Psuper wrote:
30 Sep 2017

Well I guess you could build a spectral filter in a combinator.

miscend

30 Sep 2017

GRIFTY wrote:
30 Sep 2017
I’m guessing when they eventually open up the players to developers we will start getting humanise devices. And even more advanced chorders like a player version of Autotheory.

For now though it’s best to copy to track. Turn off snap to grid in the piano roll and adjust manually.

mind2069

30 Sep 2017

Having reflected more on this, while I still don't consider for the the moment reason 10 as a "true" upgrade.

In the end, whatever we call this release, 129$ is a good price for a europa and grain alone, plus we get other extras devices and samples.

What would be great if is they fix the vst performance issue, I think that alone would please a lot of users

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2017

Creativemind wrote:
30 Sep 2017
TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Sep 2017
It's pretty interesting that some people here assume that EVERYONE is super disappointed with the new upgrade. Yet looking at the "will you upgrade" poll right now 57% says yes. 25% says no and 19% are unsure. Apparently a clear majority are happy enough to upgrade. It's likely that more people will upgrade after the point update(s) as well.

Different opinions and criticism are worth hearing for sure, but the tone and attitude in a few of these comments are absolutely horrible. I just don't see how that is necessary to get your point across.
What I would just like to say to that, not that I'm saying it isn't accurate but I clicked yes on that poll simply because I'm coming from 8.3 and from 8.3 to 10 seems worth it and I think (fingers crossed) Propellerhead will give us some decent point updates through the months after release. I'm still disappointed with this upgrade though, but Europa and Grain look fantastic and glad that with my leap, I will have Pulsar, Radical Piano and Synchronous in my arsenal as well. Just sad they focussed on one aspect in a significant update but then again, we don't know what exactly will be in 10, it isn't released yet.
Yeah I sort of get some peoples disappointment, but at the same time I don't. I mean the last upgrades have had plenty of improvements that I don't really care about or even used, but I've recognized that those things mattered to other people. I've always just thought to myself "I'll skip this one, not for me" and continued pretty happy with what I've got already. I just upgraded from Reason 7 and I was able to make the music I wanted with that. Maybe I'm just naive about all the stuff that could improve but I just don't really notice many of the problems that other people seem to obsess over. Overall I tend to appreciate what I have instead of dwelling over stuff I don't have.

It's just weird to me that people expect to get their personal wishes come true when there's so many different requests bombarding PH at the same time. I don't know how many times I've seen comments saying PH don't listen to their users, yet pretty much everything they have improved I've seen as requests from users, including this content/instrument upgrade. They can't please everyone all the time.

I don't really see why version 10 has to be extra amazing. It's just a number. Who cares really. Treat it like any upgrade and I bet some people would think better of it. I think it's good that they do upgrade versions more regularly rather than then wait too long. If there's not enough reason to upgrade to one particular version just skip and wait until the upgrade cost is worth it. It's not like anyone has to upgrade everytime.

I know people want to criticise in order to get Reason to become a better DAW, which is a valid point, I get it. But some people seem to hate everything about it or at least they sound like they do when they vomit complaint after complaint. They want to change everything, renew everything which makes me wonder if they actually like anything about Reason in the first place.

Personally I'm way more excited about this upgrade then the last the last two, believe it or not. So I guess this is the upgrade for me. It's the instruments I use that has the biggest effect on my music and how I feel about making music. That's the fun part and that's why I do music. It's fun.

Sorry for the long rant :)

pjeudy

30 Sep 2017

Psuper wrote:
30 Sep 2017
any seasoned app will have that same attractiveness regardless when you are coming into something you've never toyed with before.

And I agree, I've a collection specifically because we all do - some things Reason does great, some not at all - REs and VSTs are something anyone even remotely interested about making music will have, making the upgrade moot for many of us.

Reason 10 is for new users for sure. Certainly not for those of us who have been asking for an interface redesign, smoother workflow, etc for 10 years. We have plenty of "sounds synths and samples". And while we all want more, those are at the bottom of the list. And for $130 "upgrade"? Hard sell for the current user base; far too many other offerings giving far more for the price if you already have Reason.
...Europa looks cool and ok ..Propellerheads added a few features, well, you have to, so that you can stand out from the crowd...I watch the stream and I think the demo could have been 10 minutes long... not sure why it had to take an hour and a half!? 10 minutes would have been enough to show the exiting features. But I guess making it longer gives the new computer music user the impression that it's the best thing since...uh SERUM,ZERO,MASSIVE,ZEBRA,Expanse etc... :D

The way I see it ..I'll keep my $129, not buying EUROPA will not stop you from making music...when Propellerheads introduces some more killer DAW features none instrument related then I'll give them my $129 for those new features and I'll still get those new shinny instruments FOR THAT SAME $129... as appose to paying $129 for these instruments now...and another $129 if and when they introduce a killer paid update for a fee. And you know you will want those new features. :P

In a way, I'm glad that others feel that they need to buy this upgrade now! There money will hopefully help fund the REASON updates that others are interested in . :clap:
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

CaliforniaBurrito

30 Sep 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
30 Sep 2017
I don't really see why version 10 has to be extra amazing. It's just a number. Who cares really.
People reacted as if they're calling it Reason X. :roll:

Bobby

30 Sep 2017

electrofux wrote:
30 Sep 2017
Native Synths still have quite a few advantages over Res btw.
Hi, I know this is semi-off-topic, but since we are discussing the upgrade and this synth is included, what are these advantages?

Thanks.

esefelipe

30 Sep 2017

miscend wrote:
30 Sep 2017
I’m guessing when they eventually open up the players to developers we will start getting humanise devices. And even more advanced chorders like a player version of Autotheory.

For now though it’s best to copy to track. Turn off snap to grid in the piano roll and adjust manually.
Or copy to track and just use ReGroove, that’s what it’s there for...
propellerheads.se wrote:Want your music to sound less rigid, less programmed?

Need your drums to move and groove as if played live by actual musicians? If you want your tracks to flow with that loose, yet tight feel, a regular shuffle control just doesn't cut it. That's why we created the ReGroove mixer, Reason's own realtime groove management device.
Don’t even have to select a pre-programmed groove. Just edit the Groove lane to bring up the Tool Window and crank up Random Timing.

EdGrip

01 Oct 2017

Daft as it sounds, two of my requests were a dark theme and comprehensive scroll-wheel/modifier-key zooming in the sequencer. They must have been very common requests. But they were addressed.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Oct 2017

Bobby wrote:
30 Sep 2017
electrofux wrote:
30 Sep 2017
Native Synths still have quite a few advantages over Res btw.
Hi, I know this is semi-off-topic, but since we are discussing the upgrade and this synth is included, what are these advantages?

Thanks.
I'll quote myself from an earlier comment.

"It's gonna be great having both Europa and Grain as Reason stock synths. That means more info, tutorials, collaborations and refills for the Reason community compared to normal rack extensions. At least that's what I think. The more I think about it the more I feel like adding the new instruments is a great move from Propellerhead."

• Information