New laptop advice thread

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Pepin

29 Jun 2015

Theo.M wrote: BRILLIANT! Thank you Pepin!
 May I ask, can i choose different forced resolution other than 1440x900 other than full retina?
Yes, there are five options in the System Preferences:

Those are equivalent to:
1024 x 640
1280 x 800
1440 x 900 (default)
1680 x 1050
1920 x 1200

You could also use a third party app like SwitchResX to force other resolutions.
Theo.M wrote: Also, what cpu speed, and how do you find performance? Yours was the next architecture after mine, so I'd be curious to know even with one "generation" gap if it made a big difference  :)
My machine is 2.7 GHz i7. I rarely have performance issues, but I'm probably not the most demanding user RE-wise. I'd say kHs ONE is the only RE I use regularly where I have to really watch the instance count. If you have any more specific questions performance-wise I'd be happy to answer them here or via PM.
Attachments
pref.png
pref.png (66.79 KiB) Viewed 1014 times

Theo.M

29 Jun 2015

mbfrancis wrote:Help.  Used to be a great thread in the PUF on this but, alas...

I'm running R7 on a 2011 consumer W7 laptop (can get specs tonight if necessary).  With REs, and with me getting more serious about mixing audio, my computer now barely makes it through sessions.  To track, I regularly print submixes/stems to be able to continue.  (If my system freezes while tracking audio, Reason crashes).  My current mix (50+ audio tracks, 1 BusComp, 1 Fet, 4 De-essers) does not run...I have to turn of the REs.  Workflow is awful.   So...I need a new computer.  Won't even think of upgrading to R8 for now.

I'd love recommendations for a new PC laptop.  I can spend up to $1300, although would prefer to spend way less if possible.  Would prefer a name brand I can get at Best Buy (have a $300 credit).  (I've heard a lot of great stuff about ASUS.)  Want to run Reason robustly as outlined above, but also rewire S1.  I don't really understand what RAM is ideal (more is better?)  Seems like I should ideally run files off a remote SSD drive, maybe?  Honestly I just want the thing to work well for the next 3-4 years.  What's annoying is friends are running PT rigs on 5-year old computers no sweat, but I load up a professional production, add a few plug-ins and the thing shuts down.  (Not fair, I know, my current PC is just a general consumer laptop, but still.)

Any help - particularly recommendations of specific models - is truly appreciated.  Thanks all!

[Hopefully this is appropriate to the general board...I'm trying to run Reason after all.  Feel free to move, though.]
Much of the issue is Reason being so hungry and not using hyperthreaded virtual cores for plugins. Every time I turn hyperthread off in logic, i literally get almost half less plugins, same with cubase and S1 and PT when I demoed it. Reason is not efficient software scaling wise.. the on board factory stuff IS ridiculously efficient which is why we never noticed until RE's, on any i7 era chip or even the core 2 era really. But even the on board stuff does not scale well to make most use of your computer. As i have mentioned elsewhere, on a hypothetical 800% cpu usage max, for a quad core hyperthreaded i7, Logic/Cubase/PT/Ableton.. can all use over 500%, some approaching 600%, before they glitch.. Reason is 180-200% and it's pop and crackle city after that. So it's really only using a quarter of the machine's potential. Besides a few anomalies, RE's themselves can be quite efficient these days, as are of course all factory fx and instruments. If Reason itself scaled them well, like other DAW's do, we wouldn't probably be here saying we need new machines. It's actually Reason's (well prop's) fault LOL. Cruel but fair.
I am still of the firm belief that reason itself needs a serious engine efficiency overhaul :)
I can say from my own experience that if i wasn't using Reason (and RE's) I would not need the computer upgrade and be asking for something else instead. Hope you find something awesome and decently priced - sorry I can't help much with Window's boxes though.

Please post your specs tonight though as maybe my little brand new condition 15" samsung ivy bridge 2.3ghz i7 quad would be enough for you. For 50 audio tracks and 4 RE's, it wouldn't be a problem let alone breaking a sweat... if you mean those effects on every one of those 50 tracks, different story LOL.! I haven't removed the SSD from it yet and won't if I sell it, it has 8GB ram (upgradable to 16), 480GB sandisk ssd, 2 usb3, 2usb2, very low dpc latency (always in the green even with wireless on), windows 7.

mbfrancis

30 Jun 2015

Cheers, Theo - It's a Dell Inspiron N7010, Intel Core i5, M450 @ 2.40GHz, 6GB RAM (5.8 usable it says).

To be clear, my system does not run in the situation described (50 tracks + 5 REs)...not only do I want it to run, but I'd like to add more REs to key tracks when required.  I'd like to be able to record and add mix plugs at the same time.  Want to get as big as possible so I don't have to deal with this for a 4 years.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

mbfrancis

30 Jun 2015

mbfrancis wrote:[Hopefully this is appropriate to the general board...I'm trying to run Reason after all.  Feel free to move, though.]
Lunesis wrote:
It's fine, since it has to do with what will run Reason optimally. Theo made a recent post about getting a new laptop in the HW/SW forum but I think both spots are fair game when it comes to getting computer advice for running Reason. I don't want to be a stickler and sometimes it is hard to know where to draw the line. When I think of hardware, I think of synths, controllers and instruments.

In fact, I think I will give into my OCD and just merge the threads here.
Oh, would really have preferred them separate if possible, Theo's asking about macs, no one will see my question now I fear except the active participants, right?
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

satyr32

30 Jun 2015

This is what it possible with the latest Retina MacBook Pro, 2.2 GHZ:
(With 2.8 GHz, I expect the performace to be about 10 to 15% better)

Number of devices possible, of courese a bit depending on the patch, this is the average:
12 Softube TSAR-1R
15 Etch Red
16 DC-9 Overdrive
18 T2 Phaser
20 C1-L1
20 Steerpike
22 DCAM Bus Comp
22 Synapse DR-1
23 Chenille
25 Softube Tube Delay
26 Polar Dual Pitch Shifter
32 DCAM Chan Comp
33 Audomatic
46 Synchrounous
47 Alligator
49 3Plex
50 Titus
51 Softube Spring Reverb
55 Synapse Ninety Vintage Phaser
58 Pulversiser
58 RE 200 Bass Enhancer
77 Distort Chain
79 Resampler Bitcrusher
92 Glitch
96 Bitspeak
98 The Echo
100+SB Filter Pattern
100+Scream 4
---------------------------- 
Synth, each with Matrix
22 Parsec
25 Additive Oscillator
25 Antidote
26 Korg Monopoly
30 Table Oscillator
31 FM4
31 Revival
31 Tres Mono Synth
31 VK-1 Viking Synthesizer
61 Radical Piano
66 Re-Tron
67 Redominator
100+ Ammo 400R Modulation Oscillators
100+ PX7
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

Lunesis

30 Jun 2015

mbfrancis wrote:[Hopefully this is appropriate to the general board...I'm trying to run Reason after all.  Feel free to move, though.]
Lunesis wrote:
It's fine, since it has to do with what will run Reason optimally. Theo made a recent post about getting a new laptop in the HW/SW forum but I think both spots are fair game when it comes to getting computer advice for running Reason. I don't want to be a stickler and sometimes it is hard to know where to draw the line. When I think of hardware, I think of synths, controllers and instruments.

In fact, I think I will give into my OCD and just merge the threads here.
mbfrancis wrote:
Oh, would really have preferred them separate if possible, Theo's asking about macs, no one will see my question now I fear except the active participants, right?
They will, I will change the thread title to make it more general.

Theo.M

30 Jun 2015

mbfrancis wrote:Cheers, Theo - It's a Dell Inspiron N7010, Intel Core i5, M450 @ 2.40GHz, 6GB RAM (5.8 usable it says).

To be clear, my system does not run in the situation described (50 tracks + 5 REs)...not only do I want it to run, but I'd like to add more REs to key tracks when required.  I'd like to be able to record and add mix plugs at the same time.  Want to get as big as possible so I don't have to deal with this for a 4 years.
Oh ok.. i know exactly that chip, that was the mac i had briefly at end 2010 (same thing) just after the core 2 duo. The win laptop I have will give you approximately 5x processing power.  Even more in daw's that can use virtual cores, but in reason the difference will be huge anyway. If you were using say Cubase, it would be  up to 10x more powerful than yours.

I just got really lucky, i bought it off the shelf 2 years back, still has almost a year warranty, and i took a punt. Has a 1GB radeon 7670 plus intel 4000, has a 750gb mechanical drive stock which i put in an ssd. I used it 3 times, when i went to mums to stay when i was unwell, and one night here testing out all the different windows daw's. That's it LOL. It has been sitting in the studio with a dust cover for 99.99999% of it's life. The battery is literally brand new (only 2 charge cycles). Actually you would be able to verify all this with bios and battery apps anyway 0 first thing i tested when i got home was dpc latency, and it was really surprising - as good as well regarded desktop boards for audio applications.

I could sell it without the SSD drive i bought later for 600 US, ie as it came from factory with the 750gb mechanical drive and a factory reset. It gives me around 15-20% better performance than my mac laptop (ivy bridge is 10% core for core to sandy, then the small speed bump of 100 mhz) - i get 80 vst ambience reverb vs 60 on the mac, so in that case it's 25%, just depends.. so my mac would already be a huge jump for you and this would be even better. I was not really thinking of selling but your post came up and i thought i might be able to help and save you a lot of money. I could add the SSD but i would want what I paid for it otherwise i would keep it as i have use for it, and that was 369 AU - they have dropped since then so I wouldn't bother if I were you.. removal of back case takes like 2 seconds, just like a little battery cover that exposes drive and ram. You could have this at 16 or 32 gb ram for under $50 and 100$ respectively.. anyway just thought i would mention it. As it was out of the factory it's a bargain considering how well it does for audio. What i also liked about it was it has 2xusb 3 on one side and 2xusb 2 on the other which means you can use any usb audio device cause some don't like usb 3 ports.. great little lappy.

5 RE's total would drive me insane.. I feel for you man... whatever you do just be happy and get something that works for you :) Audio tracks themselves are negligible dsp on any chip circa last 8 years - 50 tracks is nothing - that's up to the drive basically anyway.. so bottom line is like me you need more RE performance. I use only RE's on every track so.. i need alot more lol.

plaamook

30 Jun 2015

I also don't like the gloss screens. So I got one of these...
http://www.powersupportintl.com/anti-gl ... a-display/
You can get em on amazon in the UK. Not as hard to put on as people seem to think. I even managed to get the last one from one mac to another. Not quite as nice as the mac matte screens but it gets rid of the stupid glare anyway. Don't get why mac don't offer a matte option. Wank IMO.
Good luck.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

• Information