Midi Foot pedal with Reason - is it possible?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Leighbeater

09 Feb 2018

Hello :puf_bigsmile:

Is anyone using a midi foot pedal with Reason?

I want one mainly to make new track in the sequencer while i am playing guitar etc - is it possible?

How would i go about setting it up?

cheers

PSoames

09 Feb 2018

Yes it is. I use a Behringer FCB1010 (unmodified) footboard for my switching. It's a bit complicated to setup but there are simpler options out there.

To use your footswitch, the simplest option is to;

- Right click "ALT" on transport bar.
- Select "EDIT REMOTE OVERRIDE MAPPING"
- A Dialogue box will appear.
- Ensure "Learn from control surface input" is checked.
- Hit the footswitch
- Press OK

Now everytime you press the switch a new track will appear in the sequencer. If you've selected an AUDIO track in the sequencer, a new audio track will become active and the old one will mute. If you've selected a MIDI lane, a new midi lane within the instrument's track will show, again muting the old.

If you want to over-dub, do the same as above but for DUB instead of ALT.

Leighbeater

09 Feb 2018

Thankyou @PSoames

seems easy enough

I have been watching some Youtube videos of it as well, looks like I can edit the remote maps in Reason as well for the foot controllers

Some of the USB Midi foot controllers are pretty expensive e.g.. the soft step 2

the FCB1010 seems reasonable. What do you mean (unmodified) ?

normen

09 Feb 2018

Theres a modded chip for the FCB1010 available called the FCB UNO (on ebay et al) that makes it a bit more flexible. As it comes from the factory it really only sends Program Change signals afaicr.

Leighbeater

09 Feb 2018

Ok thanks Norman
I also found the Logidy UMI3 MIDI but its only 3 buttons and I would have to get it from the US

I will have to have a think about what i actually need from a foot pedal

ljekio

09 Feb 2018

I use FCB1010 with Reason and dunno why I need to modify firmware it.
I guess it modifying for using with hardware.
Some years ago I upload remote codec for FCB1010 to the old PH forum, repeating it here now.
FCB1010.zip
(15.97 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Remote codec for factory bank of Behringer FCB1010. Using 00, 01 and 02 factory presets.
00 preset: For any control of devices and globally list patches by the 8<->9 buttons, tap tempo by 10 button.
01 preset: Extend any devices control and globally loop switch, auto-quantize and precount buttons.
02 preset: Transport panel (1<->5) and next/previous sequencer's track (8<->9 buttons). New dub and New alt take (6-7 buttons).

Leighbeater

10 Feb 2018

Nice work thanks for posting that again, will be sure to check it out if I get the FCB1010

One thing i am having real fun with at the moment in Reason is Alligator.

Manually opening the gate in different patterns. I am guessing that will be awesome doing that with a foot controller while i play either my guitar or synth in at the same time

normen

10 Feb 2018

ljekio wrote:
09 Feb 2018
I use FCB1010 with Reason and dunno why I need to modify firmware it.
Nobody said you need to mod it to use it with Reason. PSoames explicitly said what he described works WITHOUT a mod.

Oquasec

10 Feb 2018

Got an old korg ps-1 pedal to use for wait for midi when I don't wanna map the transport bar to any pads/piano notes/control surfaces for on the fly jamming.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

• Information