Reason latency is making me go nuts and hate it for playing live guitar!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tiker01

23 Jul 2018

I suggest to get in touch with PH support! It might be a quite valuable information regarding performance related issues.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Marco Raaphorst

23 Jul 2018

manuel radioact77 wrote:
23 Jul 2018
Hi,

I always record my guitar (and even vocals) through my Pod Farm software since it has zero latency monitoring. I record with 'dry input' and 'dry outpout' - it's just a way to record with zero latency. It works perfectly. There are probably other ways but this is the way i found to forget the latency issues.
Another work around:
Use something like a Palmer Speaker simulator, using its Filter as direct monitoring and record the unfiltered signal so you can apply cabinet IR later on. Or record both channels for an interesting blend, but only monitor the filtered direct monitoring.

guitfnky

23 Jul 2018

Kategra wrote:
23 Jul 2018

Not a shredder, but when I add inserts FX, some of them are not zero latency and it adds to the feeling that there is lag. Since I also practice with a full hardware analog guitar combo, it makes adjusting to Reason lag kill all the music making vibe.

My problem is, if most of their competition can do it (Native Instruments, Presonus, ImageLine, Avid, etc.) Reason should deliver low latency also.
Maybe it affects only CPUs with more than 4 cores, maybe it's even more specific than just CPU, but it has to be fixed or at the very least Propellerhead should point to the culprit and push for solution.
ah, that makes sense. most of the other stuff I have in my signal chain doesn’t really add much in the way of additional delay.

totally with you though, on the larger point. they definitely need to improve performance for VSTs. I only use a handful, but they definitely hit the DSP a lot harder than any of the REs I use. I’d likely go down to 64 samples during tracking, if they could get VST DSP in line with Rack Extensions.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

jlgrimes

23 Jul 2018

To be honest I tried recording vocals to a project in Reason where I made the track. It was very glitchy.

I did similar in Ableton and it was alot smoother although Ableton had some annoying bugs, the system was smooth with no crashes.

chimp_spanner

23 Jul 2018

Damn I'd really love to know what the difference is between people's setups. It's so sad/frustrating for me to see that people can't even track vocals at low latency when I'm working every day at the lowest sample day, tonnes of live processing, amps, drums, synths. And it's not even a new laptop. It'd be great if we could find a way to do some kind of standardised benchmark, and really get a good idea of everyone's specs, project settings, interface, etc.

guitfnky

23 Jul 2018

IMO, tracking vocals is always best when monitoring the inputs from the interface, not listening through Reason’s processing. it can take a bit of playing around to get that to work well, especially if you’ve got a dense working mix and you’re not using any compression going into the interface, but it’s yielded better results; for me, at least.

for me, the trick was to find the right kind of headphones. a pair of standard Apple earbuds have the perfect response that let’s me hear what I’m singing clearly, even without compression.

it’s especially important because vocals are usually the last thing I add, so I often have to up the buffer to keep everything playing smoothly at that point. trying to monitor through Reason gets to be unworkable at that point.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Marco Raaphorst

24 Jul 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
23 Jul 2018

In any case you should definitely be able to do what I do with your setup. My laptop is something like 5 years old and it's still killing it. Hope you get to the bottom of it man!
One part of the problem I believe is OSX.

selig
RE Developer

24 Jul 2018

Kategra wrote:
QVprod wrote:
22 Jul 2018
There’s something up with your OS and Reason. That’s not normal behavior.
It seems that if I disable multi core audio rendering than It works on 48 sample with some RE on top. So the problem is related to how Reason handles mutiple threading on my PC. I tried with just hyper threading disabled from BIOS - no difference. Still digging but come on! Sudio One nor Guitar Rig has any problem it's just freaking Reason bollocks!
Interesting - I was going to suggest using mult-core rendering for low buffer sizes. It’s the only thing that allows me to use low buffers without crackling, however my testing is not that extensive to date.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

tt_lab

24 Jul 2018

Ever since reason10 upgrade reason is lagging and dsp is filling up fast in mac and in PC.
One of the main reasons I like Reason until version 10 is that you could make music even in a low spec computer. One of my machines is the same as Kategra's i76800k 32Gb Ram. That should move a couple of instances of europa without problems and yet it fills the dsp fast.
I've made a clean install and the problems stil there. I used differen audio interfaces and the same problems persist.
So, to my eyes there is something utterly wrong with reason.
Same experience in my macbook pro. Same in my hackintosh.
BTW my main interface is a Allen Heath zed r16 (firewire)
Last edited by tt_lab on 24 Jul 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Marco Raaphorst

24 Jul 2018

What is absolutely essential imo on Mac is to have the discrete grafics card active when running Reason. When integrated card is active the glitches are a severe issue. I have contacted the Props about this but they told me they never programmed anything in Reason to cause this (were not aware of it even), which is weird since Ableton has made a decision to activate the Integrated card when running Live 10 (unless you're running some Max4Live, special things) to keep the laptop from using too much battery. Which I can understand but for low latency this is a serious issue. So imo gfxCardStatus is THE essential app for Macbook Pro users. You need to switch to the discrete card when using low latency values.

Kategra

24 Jul 2018

I opened a support ticket to Propellerhead; they say that they are aware of this issue is affecting some users and they are currently looking into it.

jappe

24 Jul 2018

Kategra wrote:
24 Jul 2018
I opened a support ticket to Propellerhead; they say that they are aware of this issue is affecting some users and they are currently looking into it.
Did they mention if its specific to reason version or OS version?

PhutureD

24 Jul 2018

Kategra wrote:
24 Jul 2018
Hopefully it will be a free update. What are the chances? Upgraded from 7 and the performance
is poor. holding thumbs.

Kategra

24 Jul 2018

jappe wrote:
24 Jul 2018
Kategra wrote:
24 Jul 2018
No, just that some users experience this issue and they are looking into it.
Feel free to to contact support and give as much details are relevant to your issue if you have one and the details of you computer & interface, OS etc.

Marco Raaphorst

24 Jul 2018

Kategra wrote:
24 Jul 2018
jappe wrote:
24 Jul 2018

Feel free to to contact support and give as much details are relevant to your issue if you have one and the details of you computer & interface, OS etc.
But just to make sure: this is not a recent issue right? I have mentioned this years ago several times.

jlgrimes

26 Jul 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
24 Jul 2018
chimp_spanner wrote:
23 Jul 2018

In any case you should definitely be able to do what I do with your setup. My laptop is something like 5 years old and it's still killing it. Hope you get to the bottom of it man!
One part of the problem I believe is OSX.

You might be right. I was recording on a Mac.

Reason does seem smoother on Windows.

Kategra

26 Jul 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
24 Jul 2018
Kategra wrote:
24 Jul 2018

But just to make sure: this is not a recent issue right? I have mentioned this years ago several times.
I remember it worked OK last year, at least @ 128 samples latency . Now it's a gamble even with 128.

• Information