Akai MPK Mini Mk2 - Setting Up With Reason 7 Kong Pads

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stephensmattlee

05 Feb 2015

Hello,
I'm having a little trouble trying to set up my Akai MPK Mini Mk2 to work with Reason 7 with the Kong pads.  When I go to initially set up the MPK with Reason in the preferences it doesn't recognise it and I end up having to select a different model for it to work.

Does anyone else know how to get the MPK Mini Mk2 working with Reason properly and also have the pads trigger the Kong Drum Designer correctly?

Thank you

Matt

djfm1983

05 Feb 2015

stephensmattlee wrote:Hello,
I'm having a little trouble trying to set up my Akai MPK Mini Mk2 to work with Reason 7 with the Kong pads.  When I go to initially set up the MPK with Reason in the preferences it doesn't recognise it and I end up having to select a different model for it to work.

Does anyone else know how to get the MPK Mini Mk2 working with Reason properly and also have the pads trigger the Kong Drum Designer correctly?

Thank you

Matt
You just gotta set the pads to the right keys that trigger the kong pads. Use the midi editor for the mini mpk to change the notes for the pads. I think the kong pads start at C1 but I could be wrong.
soundcloud.com/djfm1983

KEVMOVE02

11 Feb 2015

I have the Akai MPK Mini MK1. How's the MK2? Is the knob that much of a game changer?

JamesPat

24 Apr 2015

I have reason 8 and the same problem, however I'm a newbie to music composition, I am trying to learn but I'm going to need a much much more detailed explanation of how to get this to work.

I've looked everywhere, is there someone out there who knows the exact notes the kongpads correspond to? 

I've tried so many things with the mpk editor mk2 and I can't get all the pads to work. I have no idea what notes to assign them to, I've tried so many things, I want to tear my hair out, could someone please help me? 

I just want to use my f.....ing mpk. I can't believe it is so complicated. 

mpkminimark2

28 Jun 2015

hi stephensmattlee, hi JamesPat,

Just seen this thread...

Have you solved your problems with the MPK mini MK2?

JamesPat

28 Jun 2015

Yes I did finally work out, by myself, only took me 12 hours non stop of hair pulling but I got to it, what a nightmare. 

mpkminimark2

29 Jun 2015

Hi JamesPat,

Glad to hear that but, if possible, how did you solve?
Have you written a remote codec for the mk2?
Thank you for your answer.

JamesPat

30 Jun 2015

No I figured out the notes used on the kong pads through the midi keyboard. It was hard to begin with because there was a hole in the midi keyboard where the sounds stopped, but I only realised much later you had to drop an octave on the keyboard to get all the sounds, from there I mapped out the notes.

The other problem I had was that I didn't realise the stupid "akai mpk mini mk2 editor" wasn't writing the mappings to the device, it's buggy as shit and apparently you have to send the program to the device 3 times, dance on one leg, clap your hands, pray to allah, hit the prog button 44 times and only then does it work. 

I've inclued the akai mpk mini editor file as an attachment. Hope it helps.
Attachments
KongpadsconfigJESUS.zip
(247 Bytes) Downloaded 267 times

jam-s

30 Jun 2015

Not to be jerk here, but I just want to add that the key mappings are nicely documented in the manual:

http://cdn.propellerheads.se/Reason8/Ma ... Manual.pdf (page 787)

and the MIDI docs:

http://cdn.propellerheads.se/Reason8/Ma ... _Chart.pdf (page9)

Hopefully these links will spare somebody else the trouble.

sdotk

11 Aug 2015

JamesPat wrote:No I figured out the notes used on the kong pads through the midi keyboard. It was hard to begin with because there was a hole in the midi keyboard where the sounds stopped, but I only realised much later you had to drop an octave on the keyboard to get all the sounds, from there I mapped out the notes.

The other problem I had was that I didn't realise the stupid "akai mpk mini mk2 editor" wasn't writing the mappings to the device, it's buggy as shit and apparently you have to send the program to the device 3 times, dance on one leg, clap your hands, pray to allah, hit the prog button 44 times and only then does it work. 

I've inclued the akai mpk mini editor file as an attachment. Hope it helps.

Thank you so much, I was just about to sit there and spend the night mapping until I found this... You are a life saver :D :thumbs_up:

frm5993

28 Dec 2018

my mkp mini mkii pads of bank a work with kong, but in bank b, pads 5678 are assigned to kong 1234, while mpk 1234 are mapped to nothing. it is not the mpk's fault; they all work with subtractor. i dont understand the solutions you have given.
help, please.

• Information