Why does putting an eq on my mono track convert it to Stereo?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
craste

24 Dec 2019

Am I doing somthing wrong?

When I add a Fabfilter Pro Q 3 Eq to my mono Kick drum it changes it to stereo - and we don't want that do we!

According to the Fabfilter website the eq adapts when it knows its mono or stereo and follows suit.

Obviosley I don't want the kick drum in stereo. Anybody else come across this?

I have panned it to the left on the output in Kong, so its own channel and its mono until I inseret the Fab Filter EQ - is this a bug? When I insert a Reason Stock Mclass EQ it stays as mono.

Other than uplugging the right channel on the insert effect (at the back of the rack) is there anything else I'm doing wrong?
Fabfilter.JPG
Fabfilter.JPG (375.73 KiB) Viewed 640 times

EpiGenetik

24 Dec 2019

craste wrote:
24 Dec 2019

When I add a Fabfilter Pro Q 3 Eq to my mono Kick drum it changes it to stereo - and we don't want that do we!

According to the Fabfilter website the eq adapts when it knows its mono or stereo and follows suit.

I have panned it to the left on the output in Kong, so its own channel and its mono until I inseret the Fab Filter EQ - is this a bug? When I insert a Reason Stock Mclass EQ it stays as mono.

Other than uplugging the right channel on the insert effect (at the back of the rack) is there anything else I'm doing wrong?
Fabfilter.JPG
I'd just pull the right-hand side plug if it was auto-routing like that. If the plugin has it's own detection then it will sort itself out anyway, but you don't need Reason doing unnecessary processing. Reason, has no way of knowing that a stereo VST will act as mono when only getting the left channel, so if the plugin is stereo it will set up a stereo insert, and once the setup is done it won't be checking that it has stayed that way. So, ultimately, just pull the plug :D

O1B

24 Dec 2019

Stereo - or Dual Mono? ...looks evenly Dual Mono to me, from that pic.

Put the Fab 3.0 Freq Spectrum in "Stereo" setting ... if it perfectly overlaps - then, id put my money on Dual Mono
craste wrote:
24 Dec 2019

Fabfilter.JPG

Kalm

24 Dec 2019

Probably due to Reason by default wire any return stereo in the inserts section unless manual patched. Take an audio track and throw Retro Transfer on it and you'll see the back sends mono but returns stereo. Fabby probably picks this up since its sending out stereo and those are output meters. Try removing a cable while holding SHIFT - or - hold SHIFT when you create a device. Doing this bypasses Reason's default routing and you have to manually make adjustments.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

• Information