A Severe Bone To Pick With Reason Studios

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Kalm

01 May 2020

I look at any sales or rewards an opportunity. If I didn't like their full price I would be looking elsewhere. Sure other companies promote sales and stuff, but if RS wants me to buy, they need to make incentives like everyone else whether it be push more content into their DAW, or half off specials on Christmas. IDK, I just don't complain about a product that I intentionally bought on no merit of a discount.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

QVprod

01 May 2020

They don’t generally do discount codes but they do give away free stuff to current version owners. Synchronous, Pulsar, Drum Sequencer, and Beat Map were all free giveaways that were available in the shop. They also did give discount codes for the bass, drum, and piano REs they rereleased. While they may have said for refill owners, the coupon code was given to everyone.

Besides that, the other way to look at this is that discount codes are less about loyalty to the customer, and more about incentivizing you to spend more money that you otherwise wouldn’t.
1reasonable wrote:
01 May 2020
Just my own thought: Have aloo, at how Waves.com go about their business. You can get fully featured VST plugins for $29. There are “sales” almost all the time.
Trust you don’t want this business model. Waves charges for updates. That’s updates, not new products. That’s how their once very expensive products can now be sold for $29. Stack a few purchases from them together and your maintenance update fee is more than negligible.

kinkujin

01 May 2020

Oh yeah, and btw ... I haven't gotten any music done in all that time and what little I did get done ... it SUCKED!!

djs

01 May 2020

I see every purchase as an investment. I'm glad to support the company and with fork over my hard earn cash without questioning the value and quality of each purchase whether it's an upgrade, extension, or refill. As a Reason user since version 2.5, I've seen the program develop and advance to be a powerhouse DAW, today. I agree that each upgrade costs $, but if producing music is important to you, it'll be an investment and not an expense. Plus software in this day and age is transitioning to a monthly subscription and thankfully Reason has not, crossing fingers. Also, there is no need to upgrade to use the program. It's a option. The tools and features on past versions of Reason are sufficient for an average musician.

KevTav

01 May 2020

djs wrote:
01 May 2020
The tools and features on past versions of Reason are sufficient for an average musician.
I ain't average
Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

KevTav

01 May 2020

Kalm wrote:
01 May 2020
I look at any sales or rewards an opportunity. If I didn't like their full price I would be looking elsewhere. Sure other companies promote sales and stuff, but if RS wants me to buy, they need to make incentives like everyone else whether it be push more content into their DAW, or half off specials on Christmas. IDK, I just don't complain about a product that I intentionally bought on no merit of a discount.
I don't think it's a stretch or unreasonable to get a coupon of some sort, for an upgrade, after being a user for 5 years. Just as a simple nice gesture.

Companies make loyalty gestures all the time. It's simply a business model argument. And I'm stating that I don't think their business model, with respect to coupon codes for long term buyers, is all that great.
Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

Kalm

01 May 2020

KevTav wrote:
01 May 2020
Kalm wrote:
01 May 2020
I don't think it's a stretch or unreasonable to get a coupon of some sort, for an upgrade, after being a user for 5 years. Just as a simple nice gesture.

Companies make loyalty gestures all the time. It's simply a business model argument. And I'm stating that I don't think their business model, with respect to coupon codes for long term buyers, is all that great.
It may not be but that’s the point of my comment. I simply don’t look for it cause honestly, they can run their business like Spectrasonics or Vintage gear resellers where there’s no such thing as a coupon. But the value is off the charts. As long as value is worthwhile it a paying customer because of the initial product.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

KevTav

01 May 2020

Kalm wrote:
01 May 2020
KevTav wrote:
01 May 2020

It may not be but that’s the point of my comment. I simply don’t look for it cause honestly, they can run their business like Spectrasonics or Vintage gear resellers where there’s no such thing as a coupon. But the value is off the charts. As long as value is worthwhile it a paying customer because of the initial product.
I can't disagree with YOU. I just disagree with them on this matter. Also on a personal level.

zoidkirb

01 May 2020

Can't really compare stuff like Waves and Plugin Alliance to a DAW as their 'sale' price is their true price. Their whole sales structure is built on the art of the deal.

Who in their right mind would buy a compressor from p.a for $300 when you know before too long it will be $30.

How much would Reason cost if every included device was charged at $30?

Anyway, I trust they know what they're doing financially.
Personally I wish for better deals too
but I expect financial matters are the one thing they would never take advice off customers on.
Last edited by zoidkirb on 03 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

01 May 2020

Well... First and foremost Reason Studios, has something called Rewards, so you might have a bunch of them and not know it. IMHO, the rewards store is a bit limited. It could at least have all the RS re's included and more devices depending on the arrangement they would have with Developers. Still, a couple of months ago i bought Torsion (call it a different Grain if you will, but it seems a bit more "spookyiissh" and maybe more cinematic) for 19 eur (it was already lower because of a developer's sale, but i cashed in 50 eur). I also bought Umpf Club drums with these. Check them.

There's the free stuff QVProd was talking about included in some releases.

Also... lots of Re's they have made, have loyalty coupons or discounts. For example A-List devices had coupons for previous A-list users, owners of Umpf Club had a big discount on Umpf Disco, the Re's based on Reason refills (drum kits and eletric bass) and so on. Also... Do not forget Reason Suite, has a really low price for previous reason owners (you get Reason 11's upgrade and the whole lot of devices... all to loyal reason users).

Less not forget, the upgrade value is one of the most just in the market (you pay more or less 1/3 for an upgrade, and you don't have to pay cumulative if you jump for 4 to 11, for example)... And in the jist of upgrades, Reason 6 was a Pay What You Want upgrade, and a lot of the bigger improvements in Reason were free in .5 releases which are free for previous owners of that version (combinator at reason 2.5, Rack extensions at 6.5, VST's at 9.5...).

You cannot say the same for other daws (except for the odd FL Studio) but looking at Cubase which was the DAW i used before reason had audio, free or just upgrade plans is not the status quo...
A simple .5 upgrade from 10 to 10.5 costs 60 eur. From 9.5 to 10.5 you're looking at something like 160 eur. From 9, 200. And so on. You can argue Cubase is pretty more expensive than reason, but imho, you can do pretty much the same with both of them, though the amount and quality of sounds in reason at front (specially now with Europa and Grain) surpasses cubase's. Logic is another story (logic is deceivingly less expensive upfront, but you can't run it elsewhere than a mac without hassle, so you gave 200 eur for it but the hardware to run it is at least 30% more expensive than an equivalent pc), but think of how Logic 9 users must have felt when then they knew there wasn't an upgrade path from Logic 9 to X? One of these days you get Logic XI and again... no upgrade. I mean, you might get unlucky and to have all features in a 3 jump span you drop 800 eur. In reason that would be a bit less expensive... Anyway, as long as it's called Logic X you're ok, i guess.

As for, paying 2000 EUR for stuff in the store alone... Well... You have to consider part of that value is going for developers (not Reason Studios) assuming the lot is of other Re's than Reason Studios.
And a lot of Devs do big discounts when you have already purchased other Re's (Rob Papen usually has 10% discount on release, and 30% for previous owners), and a lot of others do similar stuff.

So... All in all, from a more just upgrade path, to Rewards, to a bunch of coupons from either Reason Studios or Devs, a lot has happened the last 10 years.

On a side note... Most times i get a coupon i think of General Ackbar...
(me looking at a new AudioDeluxe izotope promo)

MannequinRaces

01 May 2020

KevTav wrote:
01 May 2020
I am about to upgrade to 11. I want to. Need to.
Wait for R12 and then upgrade to that, instant savings in the form of $129, lol.

Oquasec

02 May 2020

Luckily Reason's piano roll & warping is actually up there with the top daws, even in it's minimalist state.
But it's just not as feature filled as cubase or fl's.
---
The emphasis for this bugger is definitely the rackmount plugin ecosystem.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

03 May 2020

The rewards store is far too limited. I have $75 of rewards points that I've activated, but they're in two separate codes of $50 and $25 and I can't use both of them for a purchase. I was looking forward to buying Torsion as well but I can only use the $50 code. Kinda lame they don't allow you to use all your rewards money at once.

That said, Reason RE pricing and Reason itself is quite a lot of value for what you pay so I'm not too bitter about it.

Ulpu

03 May 2020

Oquasec wrote:
02 May 2020
Luckily Reason's piano roll & warping is actually up there with the top daws, even in it's minimalist state.
---
Why the FL's piano roll is always mentioned as better than Reason's? There are some stuff with FL's pianoroll where I am just "what...wait? this is done so much better in Reason". But then again, I might not know some features in FL's pianoroll...

KevTav

03 May 2020

:exclamation: ETA. I purchased the Reason 11 Suite. Is it worth it. Yes. That is all. :exclamation:

MannequinRaces

03 May 2020

KevTav wrote:
03 May 2020
:exclamation: ETA. I purchased the Reason 11 Suite. Is it worth it. Yes. That is all. :exclamation:
Have fun!

KevTav

03 May 2020

MannequinRaces wrote:
03 May 2020
KevTav wrote:
03 May 2020
Have fun!
I am. I kinda want to do a full review of this entire suite. Way more pluses than minuses. I can say this was worth it based on a few things alone.

Faastwalker

03 May 2020

KevTav wrote:
01 May 2020
Am I an A-HOLE for being angry at this?
Well, it does feel very much like the focus has been on (for some time now) new customers, not existing ones. It wasn't always so. You can't blame the company for pushing hard to attract new users into the fold. But it would be nice, as long term Reason users if a few more 'rewards' might come our way. Beyond that you just have to make your own choice if the upgrade is worth it or not. From 10 to 11 was not for me. So I've skipped it so far.

dvdrtldg

03 May 2020

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
03 May 2020
I was looking forward to buying Torsion as well but I can only use the $50 code.
Can I just say, I was in the same position - a $50 reward code, and I wanted to buy Torsion. So I did, which means it cost me only 19 extra bucks

Do it now. Torsion is fucking insane

OverneathTheSkyBridg

04 May 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
03 May 2020
03 May 2020
I was looking forward to buying Torsion as well but I can only use the $50 code.
Can I just say, I was in the same position - a $50 reward code, and I wanted to buy Torsion. So I did, which means it cost me only 19 extra bucks

I probably will. Now that I've activated the two rewards codes I have 60 days before they vanish, so I'm going to wait to see if any sales pop up in the rewards store. The skeptic in me tells me that nothing in the rewards store will find itself on sale, but we'll see. What kind of things do you use Torsion for?

buddard
RE Developer

04 May 2020

04 May 2020
dvdrtldg wrote:
03 May 2020

I probably will. Now that I've activated the two rewards codes I have 60 days before they vanish, so I'm going to wait to see if any sales pop up in the rewards store. The skeptic in me tells me that nothing in the rewards store will find itself on sale, but we'll see. What kind of things do you use Torsion for?
When products go on sale, they temporarily disappear from rewards! Worth keeping in mind around this time of the year. ;)

Bjørn Felle

04 May 2020

i certainly don’t expect anything for free, but I will not be buying any more full price Reason upgrades. I am sick of getting emails telling me i can save on a discounted full price new copy of a brand new update, but there is no such introductory price on an upgrade to a product i have been using for over 15 years. It’s just a bit galling to be told new users are more important than existing ones

Oquasec

04 May 2020

Ulpu wrote:
03 May 2020
Oquasec wrote:
02 May 2020
---
Why the FL's piano roll is always mentioned as better than Reason's? There are some stuff with FL's pianoroll where I am just "what...wait? this is done so much better in Reason". But then again, I might not know some features in FL's pianoroll...
in reason the utilities menu is where you get all the features.

What reason is missing is FL & Live's performance mode & is missing fl wait for midi feature.
But if your question is can utilities section do everything fl piano roll does... then the real answer is yes.
Last edited by Oquasec on 04 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

antic604

04 May 2020

Loque wrote:
01 May 2020
Just got yesterday a loyalty voucher of 30 bucks from a different company. It was the 2nd this year. And no, it's not Plugin Alliance.
Not to mention that PP is quite something, right? ;)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Loque

04 May 2020

antic604 wrote:
04 May 2020
Loque wrote:
01 May 2020
Just got yesterday a loyalty voucher of 30 bucks from a different company. It was the 2nd this year. And no, it's not Plugin Alliance.
Not to mention that PP is quite something, right? ;)
PP? All those abbreviations...
Reason12, Win10

• Information