about the attack stage of ADSR

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
samsome

14 May 2020

for Volume envelope

(ignoring Decay Sustain Release)

how can you start a sound during the Attack Stage from middle loudness?

attack always starts from 0 volume? is there a way for attack to start at middle volume instead

also another question
release = reverb basically?

and last question
0 Sustain = means always no release? right?

Thanks!

PhillipOrdonez

14 May 2020

Attack isn't about level, it is about time.

Release isn't reverb.

Loque

14 May 2020

0 Sustain means no sustain. The Release comes always.
Reason12, Win10

Noiserunner

14 May 2020

how can you start a sound during the Attack Stage from middle loudness?
0 Attack
0 Decay
Middle loudness on Sustain and automating the level further on (or LFO etc.)
Release as needed
(MacBook Pro 13", some soft- and hardware)

DaveyG

14 May 2020

From Wikipedia:

Attack is the time taken for initial run-up of level from nil to peak, beginning when the key is pressed.
Decay is the time taken for the subsequent run down from the attack level to the designated sustain level.
Sustain is the level during the main sequence of the sound's duration, until the key is released.
Release is the time taken for the level to decay from the sustain level to zero after the key is released.

While, attack, decay, and release refer to time, sustain refers to level.

EdGrip

14 May 2020

What you're describing is two stages of attack. One that goes to the mid-volume point in 0 time, and the 2nd rising from there to your maximum volume over time. Most synths have a standard ADSR envelope, so it's not possible to do that.
More advanced synths which allow you to design your own envelopes - such as Europa - allow you to make an envelope that does what you want.

Some synths that only have an ADSR envelope allow you to set a heavy curve on A D & R stages. If you set a heavy upwards curve on the Attack stage, it would approximate what you want.

Mich01

14 May 2020

As EdGrip already wrote, you need an envelope with multiple Attackstages. Thor only has traditional ADSR envelopes. But...you can modulate the attackcurve in the mod bus. So you can experiment making a modulated attack-curve, for example by using another envelop.
Have fun
Michel

guitfnky

14 May 2020

there are synths that have curvable ADSR ramps (well, at least one). Behringer Deepmind allows you to start any of the stages at one point and curve it up or down to really tailor the envelope. for example, if you look at the ADSR screenshot above, every stage is represented by a straight line (how most synths work, I think). those can all be curves in Deepmind.

I’m not able to test right now, so I’m not sure if it will work exactly as you’re describing, but if I get a chance later, I’ll check it out.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Futz

17 May 2020

What you are describing is a distinctive feature of Yamaha CS analogue synths. They have an attack level control which sets the volume level where the attack starts.
Any setting higher than zero creates a continuous sound.
Most vsts based on these instruments will have this feature.
And instruments with advanced multi stage envelope editing should be able to pull it off

• Information