What category of plugin do you really feel you’ve finally got enough of?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jlgrimes

30 Dec 2020

Reverbs.

The quality of these plugins have improved drastically over the past 15-20 years or so.

Most new Reverb plugins all sound pretty good now (or at least the ones I end up hearing).

Companies like Valhalla are making fantastic stuff at very low prices and after getting a couple of those units, I feel finally satisfied.

Kalm

30 Dec 2020

reverbs. As an effect there's only so many
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

integerpoet

30 Dec 2020

I'm most tired of all the plug-ins providing talent. Every day it seems I see an ad for another one. Even before I launch the app, I already have too much talent of my own. It's a burden, to be honest. Sometimes I wish there were a plug-in which would reduce my talent. I miss music being a challenge.

Karim
Competition Winner

31 Dec 2020

Compressors.
I think I own every single rack extension more than I have with VST's
MrFigg wrote:
29 Dec 2020
So many devices. I’ve been thinking for a while now ...”right I’ve got enough synths. I don’t ever need to buy another one.” But I know that’s not true and I know I will.
But...I truly believe I finally have enough delays/echos. I really do. I’ve got loads. I don’t need or indeed want any more.
Reverbs on the other hand? Man I have so many and I will never have enough. Never ever.

Do you have a particular category of device you finally feel in your heart that you’re done buying?
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

challism

31 Dec 2020

integerpoet wrote:
30 Dec 2020
I'm most tired of all the plug-ins providing talent. Every day it seems I see an ad for another one. Even before I launch the app, I already have too much talent of my own. It's a burden, to be honest. Sometimes I wish there were a plug-in which would reduce my talent. I miss music being a challenge.
Welcome to the forum. I have a musical challenge for you; enter the Speo Tribute synth song challenge. I would love to hear some of your amazing music. Winner gets prizes! viewtopic.php?f=59&t=7520783

---

As for the topic of too many plugins... I feel I have enough effects devices. I've got way too many EQs, compressors, distortion units, delays, filters, etc. I don't feel that there is really anywhere left to go with such devices. There are only so many audio effects. So unless something really creative comes along and changes the game a bit, I think I'm set.

I'm also set for in-the-rack sequencers. Robotic Bean's Sequences and Lectric Panda Kompulsion pretty much cover all the needs I think I have for those.

I sort of feel the same way about players, especially having Static Cling's Delta in my rack, where I can build just about anything I can imagine, as far as a MIDI Player is concerned. Of course, I thought I was set for players, then Pattern Mutator came out and I really wanted it.... and am glad I got it. It's very creative. So, like effects, I'm set for players unless something really creative comes out.

I'm also set for CV utilities. I've got way more than I need and I don't think I there is anything I can't build with what I already have.

That just leaves instruments. And honestly, I'm really happy with the over abundance of instruments available in my rack. But I'm always open to getting something new.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Dec 2020

integerpoet wrote:
30 Dec 2020
Sometimes I wish there were a plug-in which would reduce my talent. I miss music being a challenge.
You could get somebody to plug you hard in the head with a hammer. A brick or a snooker ball in a sock will also work.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Billy+

31 Dec 2020

integerpoet wrote:
30 Dec 2020

Welcome to the forum, what an excellent first post.... :thumbs_up:

Billy+

31 Dec 2020

challism wrote:
31 Dec 2020

I sort of feel the same way about players, especially having Static Cling's Delta in my rack, where I can build just about anything I can imagine, as far as a MIDI Player is concerned. Of course, I thought I was set for players, then Pattern Mutator came out and I really wanted it.... and am glad I got it. It's very creative. So, like effects, I'm set for players unless something really creative comes out.
First off, I am really intrigued by delta but decided to buy Friktion during black week "and still haven't gotten near it" anyway how good is it.

Second, I think I might like Mutator but I can't bring myself to buy it as the steps limit just bothers me. How well does it really work obviously the sale demo makes it look great but when I've seen it used in the real world it's not that impressive.

gullum

31 Dec 2020

I think I have enough of every possible category so it has to be by Kuassa or some new device I did not know I needed for me to buy more RE's

DougalDarkly

31 Dec 2020

Billy wrote:
31 Dec 2020
...I think I might like Mutator... How well does it really work obviously the sale demo makes it look great but when I've seen it used in the real world it's not that impressive.
Shit in, shit out.

loopeydoug

31 Dec 2020

On the subject of reverbs, maybe you folks can chime in. What's the most satisfying Room/Small Space you've come across? I feel it's always been difficult to find a reverb/process that gives me a convincing sense of all my instruments being played in a real space. I've had decent luck with RV7000(with a few special IRs), Overloud's REmatrix, and Parallax Audio's Virtual Soundstage, but I'm always on the hunt for the perfect solution.

Billy+

31 Dec 2020

loopeydoug wrote:
31 Dec 2020
On the subject of reverbs, maybe you folks can chime in. What's the most satisfying Room/Small Space you've come across? I feel it's always been difficult to find a reverb/process that gives me a convincing sense of all my instruments being played in a real space. I've had decent luck with RV7000(with a few special IRs), Overloud's REmatrix, and Parallax Audio's Virtual Soundstage, but I'm always on the hunt for the perfect solution.
I find it quite difficult finding a good reverb, and after using instruments with included reverb getting a whole mix to sit nice can be a real pain, I still can't make my mind up on individual or master and then automation of effects like washouts or massive tails into breaks etc.

integerpoet

31 Dec 2020

MrFigg wrote:
31 Dec 2020
integerpoet wrote:
30 Dec 2020
Sometimes I wish there were a plug-in which would reduce my talent. I miss music being a challenge.
You could get somebody to plug you hard in the head with a hammer. A brick or a snooker ball in a sock will also work.
The snooker ball sounds like a plan. I will affix a contact mic to my skull and share the sample so we can discuss whether it makes a better kick, snare, or tom.

kuhliloach

31 Dec 2020

guitar amp sims are the only remaining category i'm not sick of. That's because of the really great tones the newest plug-ins can get, offering a substantial improvement.

challism

01 Jan 2021

Billy wrote:
31 Dec 2020

First off, I am really intrigued by delta but decided to buy Friktion during black week "and still haven't gotten near it" anyway how good is it.
How good is Delta? It's AMAZING! If you like players and the back of the rack wiring projects, you will probably love Delta. Some think Delta is complicated, but I think it is really straight-forward. I figured it out in a matter of minutes (still haven't looked at the manual). Anyway, it's a dream come true for anyone who wants to basically design their own player because it is capable of doing just about anything you can think of with incoming note information. It can take incoming notes and split them up into different signal chains. Then you can apply all sorts of different MIDI effects (delay, velocity, pitch, chords, mute). You can then merge them back together to Delta's main output, or you can route them to one of 8 different CV outputs (great for sending notes to different devices).

Think of it like Blassoft's Distributor. If you took incoming notes and ran them thru Distributor to 8 different instruments. Let's say all 8 instruments are basically running the same patch, but each instrument has different effects (one has a delay, two and three have different distortions, four has a pitch shifter, etc). And let's say you can set Distributor up very specifically,, and you have 100% control which notes are sent to which device (or it could be completely random). That's basically what Delta is. It's as complex as you want to get, or it's very simple. It pretty much does everything except generate it's own notes and modify the length of the gate (use AutoLatch fo that job).

I know the term Swiss Army Knife gets thrown around a lot, but that is essentially what Delta is. It can cover so much ground and do so many different things. Many other REs serve the purpose of doing one job, and Delta can do that job too. I've used Delta to eliminate my need for Velocity Curve and In-Range, two REs I was going to buy.
Second, I think I might like Mutator but I can't bring myself to buy it as the steps limit just bothers me. How well does it really work obviously the sale demo makes it look great but when I've seen it used in the real world it's not that impressive.
That 99 step limit thing is pretty dumb, yes.... but I don't get how it is a deal breaker for you. Personally, I really don't want more than 64 steps being randomly generated, anyway. The longer the phrase, the greater the chance it won't be as musical (IMO). I find that when using players such as Evolution or Beatmap, I rarely have the steps set beyond 64. I just find anything past that gets too random and unmanageable.

And as was said earlier, garbage in -> garbage out. You certainly must feed it some good notes. I rarely like the results I get from the random button in their entirety. I almost always copy the notes to track and edit what I don't like, build on what is inspiring, or keep what sounds great. You can also stack two, three, four PatMuts (with some clever wiring - MIDI CV Converters wired through CV Switch) and run them in tandem (64 steps on the first, 64 steps on the second = 128 step). Not an ideal solution, but it could give you some interesting results.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

jam-s

01 Jan 2021

I think I've got all kinds of categories covered. Now I'd only need a kind of space-time distortion unit that could squeeze a few extra hours into each day.

• Information