Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
stp2015

26 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
26 Jan 2021
stp2015 wrote:
26 Jan 2021
Was trying to find it. I looked at his user profile to see all of his past posts, but seems I cannot show all posts of a given user. Finding the thread is difficult, but I will now spend half an hour just to prove you wrong because I don't like your tone that much..
Tone? It's the Internet. There is no tone - I'm just asking you to back up your statement. Otherwise, people think the world is flat and pigs can fly.
Wow the search is even more difficult than I thought. Try typing "reason 12" in the search bar. Result "reason" and "12" have been ignored in your search haha. I agree with you: extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Will try to provide it.

"It's the internet" is not a good excuse for bad behavior. But no need to argue, you set your own standards, I cannot do anything about your own perception of what feels to me like a condescending tone.
Last edited by stp2015 on 26 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

guitfnky

26 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
26 Jan 2021

I don't like your tone. :lol:
🥲 and I spent so much time dialing it in. 😂
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

joeyluck

26 Jan 2021

stp2015 wrote:
26 Jan 2021
Wow the search is even more difficult than I thought. Try typing "reason 12" in the search bar. Result "reason" and "12" have been ignored in your search haha. I agree with you: extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Will try to provide it.
The forum search is not always the best. You're sometimes better off using another search engine like google to find specific threads and comments here.

stp2015

26 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
26 Jan 2021
yeah, pretty sure Mattias never said anything that could be taken to mean upgrades would be free. there would have been WAY more hubbub over even the suggestion.

my guess is the reference is to when he said they weren’t certain there would be a Reason 12, specifically.
Your tone seems nicer to me :) Yes, I believe - if I recall correctly - his statement that maybe they will not charge for upgrades in the future was in this general context. Really hard to search if the word "reason" and the number "12" get ignored by the search function :D

guitfnky

26 Jan 2021

stp2015 wrote:
26 Jan 2021
guitfnky wrote:
26 Jan 2021
yeah, pretty sure Mattias never said anything that could be taken to mean upgrades would be free. there would have been WAY more hubbub over even the suggestion.

my guess is the reference is to when he said they weren’t certain there would be a Reason 12, specifically.
Your tone seems nicer to me :) Yes, I believe - if I recall correctly - his statement that maybe they will not charge for upgrades in the future was in this general context. Really hard to search if the word "reason" and the number "12" get ignored by the search function :D
the search function on this site can be useful, but just as often it can be really frustrating.

guitfnky

26 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
26 Jan 2021
guitfnky wrote:
26 Jan 2021

Wasn't all that talk in the speculation thread that revealed Frikton?
I don’t recall the thread topic specifically, but I do believe it’s the largest/longest thread on the site, so if that’s the one, then that’s the one. :)

EnochLight

26 Jan 2021

stp2015 wrote:
26 Jan 2021
I cannot do anything about your own perception of what feels to me like a condescending tone.
Condescension is when someone has actual disdain or superiority over someone else. I don't feel that way about you. You're just being asked to show proof of an extraordinary claim. If you feel condescension, that's on you.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

hurricane
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2021

Most of us on this board want substantial updates to Reason the DAW, like how they used to do it in the glory days of Propellerhead. I really hope it's Reason 12 or whatever they want to call it, and I hope they're getting the program up to date with features we've seen other DAWS have for ages, with this companion thing as one of the new features. I don't want JUST THIS companion thing. Unfortunately, that's probably all it's going to be, and whatever it is, I personally don't want to collaborate, I don't need more samples, and I certainly don't need subscriptions to anything. And if it's a companion looper/clip launcher application ala Live with some sort of integrated sample and preset shop like what I think it's going to be, I'm not going to be into that either. But apparently there are all these record new Reason users that aren't as fatigued with the program as I am, so I'm guessing this is going to be aimed at them, not me.

Anyway, I don't have any grand expectations so that means I won't be disappointed, however anything that isn't Reason 12 with substantial updates is going to be something I most likely will not want or have a need for. Therefore, BLAH......
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Mataya

26 Jan 2021

hurricane wrote:
26 Jan 2021
Most of us on this board want substantial updates to Reason the DAW, like how they used to do it in the glory days of Propellerhead. I really hope it's Reason 12 or whatever they want to call it, and I hope they're getting the program up to date with features we've seen other DAWS have for ages, with this companion thing as one of the new features. I don't want JUST THIS companion thing. Unfortunately, that's probably all it's going to be, and whatever it is, I personally don't want to collaborate, I don't need more samples, and I certainly don't need subscriptions to anything. And if it's a companion looper/clip launcher application ala Live with some sort of integrated sample and preset shop like what I think it's going to be, I'm not going to be into that either. But apparently there are all these record new Reason users that aren't as fatigued with the program as I am, so I'm guessing this is going to be aimed at them, not me.

Anyway, I don't have any grand expectations so that means I won't be disappointed, however anything that isn't Reason 12 with substantial updates is going to be something I most likely will not want or have a need for. Therefore, BLAH......
Exactly that.

M

stratatonic

26 Jan 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
26 Jan 2021
Billy+ wrote:
26 Jan 2021
Well they're using the hashtag #iUseReason on the twitter feed!

Maybe the next incarnation is going to be i+Reason or Reason+i lol
iThink we should all just wait until tomorrow. Every+hing will be explained!
nicely done... :)

EDIT: wrong info
Last edited by stratatonic on 26 Jan 2021, edited 2 times in total.

stp2015

26 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
26 Jan 2021
stp2015 wrote:
26 Jan 2021
I cannot do anything about your own perception of what feels to me like a condescending tone.
Condescension is when someone has actual disdain or superiority over someone else. I don't feel that way about you. You're just being asked to show proof of an extraordinary claim. If you feel condescension, that's on you.
Agree with your definition, but there is a difference between feeling condescension, and talking in a way that suggests you feel it. Maybe you don't feel it but still used a tone that - to me personally - suggested that you do. Since I cannot see your feelings I rely on your written word. But can we please let it go now? I have my opinion you have yours, we agree to disagree. We have both made our points, I respect yours, you respect mine hopefully.

Here is the post that I was referring to, in which he alluded to the possibility:

That was not my intention! As a really dumb example: what if we want to give away all updates for free? Then there wouldn't be a Reason 12. I just don't want to confirm or deny that there will be a paid upgrade called "Reason 12". Regardless of if it'll be a number 12 or not, we have tons of cool improvements for Reason in the pipeline. For example, we're hard at work on high-resolution, GPU accelerated graphics. Don't worry, we're not going anywhere.

guitfnky

26 Jan 2021

stratatonic wrote:
26 Jan 2021
guitfnky wrote:
26 Jan 2021

I don’t recall the thread topic specifically, but I do believe it’s the largest/longest thread on the site, so if that’s the one, then that’s the one. :)
Matthias did say on Facebook that they weren't sure if there would be a Reason 12 SUITE
viewtopic.php?p=516831#p516831
Maybe that's the confusion...
he also suggested somewhere here in the forums that there may not be a v12 at all, at least not in the traditional Reason [major version #]. that could have just meant a change to the naming convention, but maybe we’ll find out tomorrow.

aeox
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2021

Any word on what they have been doing with that hardware that could run REs?

KRS Music

26 Jan 2021

I really hopes it's some kind of virtual musician. You know, like an imaginary friend. So you get a starter pack of say a Hendrix, John Bonham and Kate Bush. With a free Jean Michel Jarre for users that have three or more updates under their belt.

stp2015

26 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
26 Jan 2021
he also suggested somewhere here in the forums that there may not be a v12 at all, at least not in the traditional Reason [major version #]. that could have just meant a change to the naming convention, but maybe we’ll find out tomorrow.
Yes, that is the post I copied to my answer above, which I interpreted as meaning that they are thinking about it. He also called it a "really dumb example", but the fact that he discussed it at all seemed a bit funny to me, so I gave it a little bit of credence. Given that now there is something called "Reason+" maybe that means there will be no Reason 12 paid upgrade.

stp2015

26 Jan 2021

KRS Music wrote:
26 Jan 2021
I really hopes it's some kind of virtual musician. You know, like an imaginary friend. So you get a starter pack of say a Hendrix, John Bonham and Kate Bush. With a free Jean Michel Jarre for users that have three or more updates under their belt.
An imaginary friend would be nice. The pandemic has left me lonely... :D

miscend

26 Jan 2021

Who here remembers the build up to the Propellerheads secret announcement that eventually revealed Record? That's what this is becoming.

EnochLight

26 Jan 2021

stp2015 wrote:
26 Jan 2021
we agree to disagree.
That would be great. :thumbs_up:
stp2015 wrote:
26 Jan 2021
Here is the post that I was referring to, in which he alluded to the possibility:

That was not my intention! As a really dumb example: what if we want to give away all updates for free? Then there wouldn't be a Reason 12. I just don't want to confirm or deny that there will be a paid upgrade called "Reason 12". Regardless of if it'll be a number 12 or not, we have tons of cool improvements for Reason in the pipeline. For example, we're hard at work on high-resolution, GPU accelerated graphics. Don't worry, we're not going anywhere.
Link?

That said, when I read that - I do not see them stating upgrades will be free. Not even hinting at it. He's using a hypothetical situation (which is arguably a poor example) to express that he can't confirm/deny that there will be a paid update to a version 12.

I don't think anyone with common sense would think that they would not keep charging for Reason, upgrades or otherwise. They're a for-profit business that has one purpose for existing: to make money selling software. That money has to come from somewhere, no?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

stratatonic

26 Jan 2021

KRS Music wrote:
26 Jan 2021
I really hopes it's some kind of virtual musician. You know, like an imaginary friend. So you get a starter pack of say a Hendrix, John Bonham and Kate Bush.
I just can't imagine what would be the result of that. What a power trio!
Does Kate play bass? Or would that be up to the Reason owner?

KRS Music

26 Jan 2021

stratatonic wrote:
26 Jan 2021
KRS Music wrote:
26 Jan 2021
I really hopes it's some kind of virtual musician. You know, like an imaginary friend. So you get a starter pack of say a Hendrix, John Bonham and Kate Bush.
Kate Bush plays piano so therefore plays bass. Drops mic......

stp2015

26 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
26 Jan 2021
That said, when I read that - I do not see them stating upgrades will be free. Not even hinting at it. He's using a hypothetical situation (which is arguably a poor example) to express that he can't confirm/deny that there will be a paid update to a version 12.
Interpretation of the statement is certainly up for debate. I am imagining me telling my wife the following:

"What if I had a girlfriend and I did not love you anymore? I am not saying that this is the case, but I just don't want to confirm or deny that there will or will not be a girlfriend in the future. Regardless, I think you and me have many great things in the pipeline for the next years!

I think I would end up on the couch or in my own apartment.
EnochLight wrote:
26 Jan 2021
I don't think anyone with common sense would think that they would not keep charging for Reason, upgrades or otherwise. They're a for-profit business that has one purpose for existing: to make money selling software. That money has to come from somewhere, no?
Not charging for upgrades works fine for FL Studio, no? Did you just suggest that they are not "anyone with a common sense" ?
Last edited by stp2015 on 26 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

guitfnky

26 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
26 Jan 2021
stp2015 wrote:
26 Jan 2021
we agree to disagree.
That would be great. :thumbs_up:
stp2015 wrote:
26 Jan 2021

Link?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7516211&p=488371#p488371

here’s the page that quote is on. I agree it is only a hypothetical, but I also agree it’s a really weird way of framing the hypothetical (could just be a clunky explanation of his earlier comment, which makes more sense to me).

KRS Music

26 Jan 2021

KRS Music wrote:
26 Jan 2021
stratatonic wrote:
26 Jan 2021

Kate Bush plays piano so therefore plays bass. Drops mic......
Look, I apologise for that, I was trying to sound all cool and that, with the mic drop thing. I saw someone on Facebook do it, but they had actually read and understood the post they was referring to. So I offer my most humblest apology. I mean, I like your idea that maybe the Reason owner could have a bit of choice as to who plays what. I'd probably tell Kate Bush to focus on you know, the middle bit of the piano and maybe throw some electric on after the fact. Obviously I'd just tell Bonham to do what he wanted, and Hendrix? I'd stick him in the control room and tell him to have a blast, I can take care of guitar thanks mate. Obviously I'd have to subscribe to Eddie Kramer as well as I think he really understood Jimi.

I need to get out more.

joeyluck

26 Jan 2021

Who here remembers when this logo and trademark was discovered and many people were referring to it as "ReRack Extension" and then speculating what it could be? Speculation threads like this always remind me of that 😂

• Information