Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
aftrshok99

27 Jan 2021

Social Exodus wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Back door to the Shop here:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/brow ... extensions
Try the front door, it's on the bottom of the main page....LOL
Last edited by aftrshok99 on 27 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.
Reason+ / Bitwig Studio 4 / NI Maschine MK3 / Novation Launchpad Mini MK3 / NI M32

EnochLight

27 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
27 Jan 2021
People now have options. It's up to the user to decide the best path, but we simply have more options. So I don't get your argument.
That's because apparently we are "Reason apologists" or "corporate protectionists".

:lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Social Exodus

27 Jan 2021

aftrshok99 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Social Exodus wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Back door to the Shop here:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/brow ... extensions
Try the front door, it's on the bottom of the main page....LOL
Fair enough.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

Loque

27 Jan 2021

MrFigg wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Wonder how many folk actually used the term “perpetual license” until today.
Say "perpetual license" 3 times in a row 🙃
Reason12, Win10

Andy
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2021

certifiedbeatz wrote:
27 Jan 2021
joeyluck wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Here's the thing, folks...

Let's say theoretically that R12 is planned for the summer.

Whether R+ is introduced now or not, R12 would still be planned for the summer.

If a subscription is not for you, that doesn't change what happens in the summer. If R+ isn't released today, nothing happens today and we have nothing to talk about. R12 would be released in the summer.

Are you following?

If anything, a subscription creates an obligation for RS to continue to innovate and update Reason in order to keep it enticing and keep subscribers on board.

So I don't get the outrage. Everything going on in the world and you want to put so much energy into the fact that you think an option of a subscription to software is the end of the world.
The outrage is the monthly cost during this tough times
“You’ll own nothing. And you’ll be happy.”
“Whatever you want you’ll rent.” - WEF

But on a serious note. Yes its true times are tough for some people and if you are one of those people you will simply have to go without certain things until you can afford them. Example certain gear I would love to dump money on but I can't afford them so I have to prioritize. Its just life.

hfw

27 Jan 2021

JiggeryPokery wrote:
27 Jan 2021
selig wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Reason+ IS literally more up to date by giving you every new RE as it is released.
No, Giles, it isn't. They're letting them rent every new RE they release. That's a big difference, and please stop trying to normalise their behaviour as somehow being for new users' benefit and they're doing them some kind of favour. They're not "giving" them anything. You read the sponsorships from some of those song-writers praising all the sounds, and yet it's deeply ironic given that in reality they use about the same number of sounds as they do chord progressions!

But these new users, from what I currently understand, will own nothing. Not even a license. If they stop the subscription after a year they'll have nothing but unopenable songfiles and billions of random ReFills and patches they've been bombarded and bamboozled with three times a week, and possibly, if we're lucky, some third-party RE purchases they bought in a sale for peanuts that they can't even resell (oh but there's always RRP! ). They could go ahead and buy a license and get the product outright, but now they've effectively paid double. And the crazy thing is that's exactly what Reason Studios wants: that is what the long-term financial projections will be predicated upon. There's no other reason to do it, rather than cheat people who don't have £309 or £500 upfront. It's seedy. It's shady. And it's intentional. The excuse might be the old "consistent revenue instead of an upgrade bump every other year", but most of us didn't buy into that cobblers when Adobe tried it. If RS thought they could get away it, full licenses would be gone. Don't think they didn't consider it: unfortunately for them, they know they're not Adobe, and they have lots of competition, most of whom have a far bigger market cap.

Reason is not an essential monthly outgoing. Buy it. Don't buy it. But for christ's sake don't rent it. I mean, look, if people choose this option, that's fine if they fully understand the financial implications. I just fear that many won't. It's the software equivalent of a pre-paid meter. What too many companies now want is a slice of our limited monthly income, and this especially impacts on those with less money, who inevitably end up spending more than those of us who either saved up or had the disposable income for the large initial outlay.

Third party shop revenue from new users will have to drop, because new users' revenue will be tied up in a monthly payment, and they're getting "free" content constantly. Old[er] users aren't buying REs because they've bought most everything they're going to buy at this point. To be fair, last Black Friday was better than I expected, but there's no real incentive to develop an expensive new product: most everything new in the shop (or added to Reason itself) these days, including, sadly, a great deal of Reason Studios' own stuff, is basic reskins of Gorillia Editor modules.
100% - your releases have always been cool, and its refreshing to see you are a cool person too. All the best!

diminished
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2021

I hope all RE devs give away their stuff for free in an act of rebellion to make R+ the financially unviable choice. #ReplaceStockWith3rdParty

Just kidding but only half.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

BonsaiMacKay

27 Jan 2021

MrFigg wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I have always been tempted to say "perennial licence" but never had the incentive. Now I will.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2021

Loque wrote:
27 Jan 2021
MrFigg wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Attachments
42855AC4-7A47-4A62-800D-6248B416A88B.jpeg
42855AC4-7A47-4A62-800D-6248B416A88B.jpeg (49.76 KiB) Viewed 17774 times
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Billy+

27 Jan 2021

MrFigg wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I think it's the first time I've ever heard that term, I think they made fully paid up owners sound dirty some how... amazing what a bit of marketing speak can do to a person...

ScuzzyEye

27 Jan 2021

DecafDreams wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I'm still on 11.3.6 and haven't updated yet. Is there actually any reason to update beyond this version if I want nothing to do with Reason+ or Reason Companion? Does 11.3.7/8 install Companion and also force a Packs icon into the browser sidebar and if so can either of these things be disabled?
If you don't install Companion the only thing that shows up in 11.3.7 and later is a check box in the preferences dialog that says Open Companion on Startup. It's grayed out, so you can't uncheck it, but it also does nothing. No additional Packs folder or anything like that.

Loque

27 Jan 2021

MrFigg wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Loque wrote:
27 Jan 2021

👌😂👍
Reason12, Win10

arnigretar

27 Jan 2021

I care :)
I care because you do! :D

...btw just looked at the props website. damn, hopefully that will change after trying to sell these + subs.
Last edited by arnigretar on 27 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

BonsaiMacKay

27 Jan 2021

JiggeryPokery wrote:
27 Jan 2021
selig wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Reason+ IS literally more up to date by giving you every new RE as it is released.
No, Giles, it isn't. They're letting them rent every new RE they release. That's a big difference, and please stop trying to normalise their behaviour as somehow being for new users' benefit and they're doing them some kind of favour. They're not "giving" them anything. You read the sponsorships from some of those song-writers praising all the sounds, and yet it's deeply ironic given that in reality they use about the same number of sounds as they do chord progressions!

But these new users, from what I currently understand, will own nothing. Not even a license. If they stop the subscription after a year they'll have nothing but unopenable songfiles and billions of random ReFills and patches they've been bombarded and bamboozled with three times a week, and possibly, if we're lucky, some third-party RE purchases they bought in a sale for peanuts that they can't even resell (oh but there's always RRP! ). They could go ahead and buy a license and get the product outright, but now they've effectively paid double. And the crazy thing is that's exactly what Reason Studios wants: that is what the long-term financial projections will be predicated upon. There's no other reason to do it, rather than cheat people who don't have £309 or £500 upfront. It's seedy. It's shady. And it's intentional. The excuse might be the old "consistent revenue instead of an upgrade bump every other year", but most of us didn't buy into that cobblers when Adobe tried it. If RS thought they could get away it, full licenses would be gone. Don't think they didn't consider it: unfortunately for them, they know they're not Adobe, and they have lots of competition, most of whom have a far bigger market cap.

Reason is not an essential monthly outgoing. Buy it. Don't buy it. But for christ's sake don't rent it. I mean, look, if people choose this option, that's fine if they fully understand the financial implications. I just fear that many won't. It's the software equivalent of a pre-paid meter. What too many companies now want is a slice of our limited monthly income, and this especially impacts on those with less money, who inevitably end up spending more than those of us who either saved up or had the disposable income for the large initial outlay.

Third party shop revenue from new users will have to drop, because new users' revenue will be tied up in a monthly payment, and they're getting "free" content constantly. Old[er] users aren't buying REs because they've bought most everything they're going to buy at this point. To be fair, last Black Friday was better than I expected, but there's no real incentive to develop an expensive new product: most everything new in the shop (or added to Reason itself) these days, including, sadly, a great deal of Reason Studios' own stuff, is basic reskins of Gorillia Editor modules.
Wise words as usual, JP.

r2101

27 Jan 2021

so they provided a solution for a problem nobody had? interesting approach. service/rent on a monthly basis is not for me. still i wish them good luck and hope that r12 will be more interesting :)

Auryn

27 Jan 2021

Yeah considering how wildly unpopular the idea of a subscription service was beforehand, this was a pretty dumb move. I thought the reason rack plugin was a big success? Do you really need to make more money that desperately?
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

softska

27 Jan 2021

Glad I looked at this thread, didn't realize ignition key is being discontinued. Even though they had a pretty good track record of supporting legacy hardware, hopefully there's some support of it in foreseeable future like Reason Balance did

sprinkles__

27 Jan 2021

selig wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I'm not saying all ideas come fast, just that no creative I've ever met or worked with was looking for a SLOWER tool to use.
I am looking for a SLOWER trackpad scroll on Macbook Pro. So i literally want a slower tool. Trackpad scroll is unusable since at least Reason 7, so however many years (and hundreds of useless sound pack releases) ago that was, they haven't done a single thing to fix it. If you don't sometimes need to slow things down as a 'creative', i'd suggest you may be missing out. There's a lot of creativity that can't be forced at speed. But when you finally get to the point where you need to go quick quick now now now! then you need something that just works and doesn't hinder the process. Reason is hopeless for that.

Everything about Reason as a DAW is slow in the way you dont want, or just frustrating, like having to remember which menu some stupid option is hiding in. Why is 'preview notes' a preferences option tickbox? Mental. If i want a fast, unencumbered way to make music on a computer, Live wins out for me. Using Live i want to turn off 'preview notes'? That button is mapped to 'p' on my keyboard. I can toggle it about 50 times in the amount of time it takes opening options and finding the tickbox to turn the equivalent feature off in Reason, only to have to do the same thing again to turn it back on. Live is so snappy i can't quite believe how much it gets out of my way when i use it, especially with Push. But Reason, since i bought the v7 upgrade when that version was current my usage has fallen off a cliff, it's just been getting worse since. I upgraded to v11 last year in the sale to get the rack VST. Bought a suite license. How i wish i could just use Reason standalone for my production needs, but i doubt it's ever going to be the way things were when all i had was an ASUS netbook, a broken korg nanokey, some PC speakers and a crack of Reason 3. I made so much music with that setup.

The company formerly known as Propellerheads are making a big mistake. Their business is in decline. It's so obvious, this is a death knell. Once they realise they aren't an essential software package in the way that Pro Tools or Photoshop are, then it will be too late, those vultures want returns on their investment, too bad. Bye bye Reason. We had some fun times.

miscend

27 Jan 2021

selig wrote:
27 Jan 2021
MarkTarlton wrote:
27 Jan 2021
this live stream is not going well, geez I have never seen so many negative comments/dislikes before. This new direction is not for me. I will be staying on Reason 10 with no plans on the current upgrade path.
It's basically the same 3-4 folks copy/paste posting "dislike dislike dislike" over and over again…
I think it's the same people posting negative comments here, on YouTube and other forums. They want the whole world to know their outrage.

kuhliloach

27 Jan 2021

fieldframe
RE Developer

27 Jan 2021

buddard wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Maybe this is a premature assessment, but to me this sounds like the final nail in the coffin for us 3rd party RE developers.

The link to the RS shop is now hidden away in the footer on the front page, so it might as well not exist as far as RS customers are concerned, especially the newcomers.
Unless the Reason+ Companion app somehow highlights and/or lets you browse 3rd party products, the shop will probably be all tumbleweeds from now on...

And who will want to buy fixed RE licenses when they're subscribing to the host DAW?
Maybe this will cause a slight increase in RE subscriptions (if they promote them in any way, that is), but that won't provide nearly enough income to recoup the investment of developing new REs.
And when everyone has access to every Reason Studios RE and ReFill from the outset, they're not likely to buy a competing third party RE.

(Mind you, this development was not communicated in advance to any RE developer before today as far as I'm aware.)

Well, it was fun while it lasted! :?
The fact that the shop is now in the footer instead of the header is really not getting enough attention. In my day job, just changing the wording or visual presentation on a link, without even moving it, can cause thousands of users to either ignore or notice it. Moving something to the bottom of the page is something we generally never do; it would have to be motivated by a major shift in business priorities.

This change will have a significant and immediate impact on RE sales, and I presume Reason Studios didn't just do it on a whim.

joeyluck

27 Jan 2021

Auryn wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Yeah considering how wildly unpopular the idea of a subscription service was beforehand, this was a pretty dumb move. I thought the reason rack plugin was a big success? Do you really need to make more money that desperately?
So I guess you aren't looking to be a sound pack creator then? Seems like an awesome opportunity for patch designers.

Billy+

27 Jan 2021

Auryn wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Worse thing is that it sounds like the plan is as old as V10 release :lightbulb:

Was is that famous saying, fool me once shame on.... :clap:

Auryn

27 Jan 2021

I'd like to add regarding the weekly sound packs: after a while this will just become a huge oblique mass of sounds... after a certain point more is not more, this goes for RE's and plugins, as well as sounds in refills. I've often wondered myself whether I should be releasing refills with over 300 sounds, and whether my customers would not be better served in the long run if I just brutally edited them down to say 50-60 patches that are the absolute best, most essential sounds I've done with that synth.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

nickb523
RE Developer

27 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
27 Jan 2021

So I guess you aren't looking to be a sound pack creator then? Seems like an awesome opportunity for patch designers.
How much could that possibly pay creators? - It must be a pittance if anything at all.

• Information