Ignition Key bites the dust on Mac - with no plans to fix

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
CaptainBlack

27 Jan 2021

During happier times, I use Reason on my laptop at live gigs. Am I right in thinking that Reason+ requires internet log-in every time? This is a bit awkward when you're on stage. If this is the case, it's a dealbreaker.

kuhliloach

27 Jan 2021

OMG the nightmare continues. I need to uninstall Reason to make room on a MacBook Pro for OS updates. Based on what I am reading here there will be no point in re-installing it afterwards. My investment into Reason is turning out to be regretful.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2021

They removed the option to authorize Balance. How long do you think it'll be before they remove the option to authorize ignition keys?
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

tanni

27 Jan 2021

MrFigg wrote: ↑
27 Jan 2021
They removed the option to authorize Balance. How long do you think it'll be before they remove the option to authorize ignition keys?
that sounds not good for me...hope they will find an alternative for no-internet-PCs

littlejam

27 Jan 2021

hello,

just placing a bookmark here for future reference

my main studio computer doesn't go online
so i am sad about this new news

i would update the ignition key on my laptop
and then take the key to the studio computer

all was perfect

cheers and blessings,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

stillifegaijin

28 Jan 2021

While I'm kinda new to the forum I've been using Reason since the beginning and yes, Mattias, if you're still following this thread, the option to install authorizations on two computers would be super useful and really the only reasonable thing to do if you are dropping the Ignition Key.

I also have a main studio computer and a laptop for live and remote sessions. My studio computer is currently, apparently until I upgrade, using an Ignition Key while my laptop has the authorization. I used to also be able to have an authorization on my Balance also but y'all already killed that. Please don't limit my options even further. There are plenty of programs that allow two authorizations and some, like Arturia, allow 5!

I very much prefer to never rely on online authorizations for daily use.

kurtg

28 Jan 2021

please do not drop the ignition key. I love working offline.

Eurikon

28 Jan 2021

MattiasHG wrote: ↑
27 Jan 2021

Sorry to hear that Toby. I do appreciate your feedback on this. Would a "silent login" like in Reason Rack Plugin (i.e. auto log-in with no log-in window popping up if you saved your password) be helpful? We've talked about doing that for standalone too and I agree that it'd be nice to not have the login prompt every time.

Supporting hardware Ignition Keys eats into development time and authorizing a computer is the same in most scenarios, so when the new macOS proved incompatible with how Ignition Keys are handled we made this call.
Hi Mattias,
fwiw, most of us have 2 computers, usually one for on the road and one fixed. For those that do not want to verify through internet every single startup, there should be an option to authorise 2 or max 3 devices. This would solve most disappointments, at least it would solve mine, as my ignitionkey is also sitting here doing nothing ;)

Cheers
β˜… --------------------------------------- β˜…
β™« https://www.youtube.com/c/Eurikon β™«
β™« https://eurikon.bandcamp.com β™«
β™« https://instagram.com/eurikon_music β™«
β˜… --------------------------------------- β˜…

CaptainBlack

28 Jan 2021

kurtg wrote: ↑
28 Jan 2021
please do not drop the ignition key. I love working offline.
I second this emotion. Or if it is already toast, at least give us another offline option.

Ottostrom

28 Jan 2021

I'm gonna add another vote for allowing us to authorize Reason on two computers!
I understand why you wanna drop the ignition key fully but the fact of the matter is that many of your loyal costumers still use the one they got, and just removing it without giving us another alternative for offline use is kind of a dick move.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2021

Ottostrom wrote: ↑
28 Jan 2021
I'm gonna add another vote for allowing us to authorize Reason on two computers!
I understand why you wanna drop the ignition key fully but the fact of the matter is that many of your loyal costumers still use the one they got, and just removing it without giving us another alternative for offline use is kind of a dick move.
S'what they did with Balance even though that was billed as an Ignition Key in the manual. I'm guessing the code meter sticks will go the same way.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

DecafDreams

28 Jan 2021

28 Jan 2021
Ottostrom wrote: ↑
28 Jan 2021
S'what they did with Balance even though that was billed as an Ignition Key in the manual. I'm guessing the code meter sticks will go the same way.
I really hope getting rid of computer authorisation isn't next. I imagine they have to pay a license fee to CodeMeter for the virtual ignition container that uses. Perhaps we'll all be forced to internet authorisation like the Reason+ people sooner or later....

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2021

DecafDreams wrote: ↑
28 Jan 2021
28 Jan 2021

I really hope getting rid of computer authorisation isn't next. I imagine they have to pay a license fee to CodeMeter for the virtual ignition container that uses. Perhaps we'll all be forced to internet authorisation like the Reason+ people sooner or later....
Solution: Buy Reason "12". Hope the Code Meter Stick is still an option. Authorize that. Never update Reason again. Accept it and go forward with your life :).
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

bxbrkrz

28 Jan 2021

Reason Studios. Get your shit together. 2 authorizations or more is a good business move. I mean, why is this even an issue? This news could viral, and not for any + reasons.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

miscend

28 Jan 2021

Personally I preferred using the dongle and luckily that's still working for me under Big Sur. There are issues with computer authorisation whereby if you update or do a reinstall of the operating system the machine can lose its authorisation. You then have to report that computer as lost. And RS dont like you doing that, you have a limited number attempts before they get exhausted.

jlgrimes

28 Jan 2021

tobypearce wrote: ↑
27 Jan 2021
On Big Sur, Ignition Key is no longer recognised and I have to log on using the internet every time I use reason.
I have two computers, so only one can be authorised via software. On the other one, I'm stuck with online authorisation.

I contacted Reason Studios for support and they told me that they had no plans to fix this, so the ignition key, at the moment, is dead on new Mac OS.

I'm so disappointed by this, and by the response that I got from support. It's a clear step backwards.

The only reason I'm posting this here is in the hope that someone else from Reason will see this, see reason, and get this issue resolved.

P.S. The makers of the codemeter software, WIBU, have already released their own fix for this type of issue so that ignition keys continue to work, but RS use an adapted version of this code so it won't work. The fact that a solution seems very possible, and that RS aren't interested in fixing it? Like I said, I'm disappointed.
Yeah Ignition Key comes in handy when you own multiple Computers.

They need to loosen up on their authorization I think. They currently allow you to use one Machine without online verification or hardware license key. I think if they drop the Ignition Key, they need to up it to two machines as many people have one stationary machine and one traveling laptop.

So many other DAWs and VST manufacturers have much more relaxed Authorization methods (NI, Ableton, Studio One, Reaper, U-he, Synapse). Reason is more like Waves and Antares who either require a hardware dongle or restricts the usage to one machine. I'd say Reason is more lax than those two as it does have plenty of options but the former packages makes Authorizing software a more one time thing and something you completely forget about afterwards. I know some of this is probably due to going the RE route with plugins (I doubt many manufactures would have gotten on board if the copy protection was loose).

ckultur

28 Jan 2021

Another one here using main computer and laptop with Ignition key!!!. I The system worked well as it was !!!!!!. Mathias.. if you drop support for Ignition key.. an OPTION must be given to authorize offline!!!. just IMHO. Please respect your long term supporters/customers.
Rgds
Ckultur

mwdiers

28 Jan 2021

So I don't get what's going on. I don't have an ignition key. I have a CodeMeter dongle that I have used for quite a while, and it contains both my Reason license, and my VPS Avenger license. Even with the latest version of Reason, running on Big Sur, it's working great. No login prompt when the key is plugged in.

EnochLight

28 Jan 2021

ckultur wrote: ↑
28 Jan 2021
Another one here using main computer and laptop with Ignition key!!!. I The system worked well as it was !!!!!!. Mathias.. if you drop support for Ignition key.. an OPTION must be given to authorize offline!!!. just IMHO. Please respect your long term supporters/customers.
Rgds
Ckultur
For perpetual license holders, there has been an option to authorize offline for years. YEARS. Since Reason 6.5 or 7, in fact (can't remember which). Were you not aware??
mwdiers wrote: ↑
28 Jan 2021
So I don't get what's going on. I don't have an ignition key. I have a CodeMeter dongle that I have used for quite a while, and it contains both my Reason license, and my VPS Avenger license. Even with the latest version of Reason, running on Big Sur, it's working great. No login prompt when the key is plugged in.
Yep. Same here (I've got Avenger and all my Rack Extensions on it as well)!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Β Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

miscend

28 Jan 2021

28 Jan 2021
Ignition Key is the Reason branding for the Codemeter USB dongle. They quietly discontinued support for it without informing users with an official statement. Their reasoning being that many computers dont have usb A ports any more and boxed version of Reason dont ship with one.

mwdiers

28 Jan 2021

miscend wrote: ↑
28 Jan 2021
28 Jan 2021
Ignition Key is the Reason branding for the Codemeter USB dongle. They quietly discontinued support for it without informing users with an official statement. Their reasoning being that many computers dont have usb A ports any more and boxed version of Reason dont ship with one.
Yes, I understand that. What I'm saying is that even in the latest version of Reason 11, on Big Sur, my Codemeter dongle is authorizing Reason just like it always has. Nothing broke. No login box. If I unplug the dongle and launch Reason, then I get the login box, as expected.

I know there are two different versions of the Ignition Key. The older one is a custom version that requires drivers maintained by Reason. The newer version is just a stock Codemeter key in a red aluminum case. Internally, it's identical to the CmStick/B that I use with Reason. The newer version can run with the CodeMeter drivers from Wibu, and Reason works just fine with those. Perhaps it is only the old custom key they no longer support?

Of course, the whole USB-A thing is a cop-out IMO. It's not like Pace has released a USB-C version of the iLok, and that's extremely common. I have a USB-C to USB-A hub that contains my iLok, CmStick, eLicenser, and my wireless mouse receiver.

moneykube

28 Jan 2021

tobypearce wrote: ↑
27 Jan 2021
Mattias,

Yes: silent log-in would go some way to addressing the issue.

Allowing two software authorisations would be the better solution, both because it would help Dioxide's use case, and because it would merely restore the situation to the status that it was when you designed the authorisation system in the first place - i.e. offline authorisation of two computers. I understand that you don't want to divert development time to extending the life of Ignition Key.

You mention above that you have taken the decision to move to entirely digital authorisation. In my view, to really make that decision you have to bite the bullet and allow two authorisations; otherwise you're simply removing something rather than fully embracing it.

Thanks for being here for this discussion - I do at least appreciate that Mattias.
+1 ... seems a step backward to remove the ability to run a portable studio not able to connect to the internet... in rural areas the internet is not alway accessible in a large part of the world. 2 authorizations is a must for those that play live or go jam with friends with their 2nd computer. I thought that 2 authorizations, one online and one off line was part of the licenses I have purchased. :exclamation: This backwards compatibility that was boasted of for years seems to have left the building.
Last edited by moneykube on 28 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

miscend

28 Jan 2021

28 Jan 2021

Yes, I understand that. What I'm saying is that even in the latest version of Reason 11, on Big Sur, my Codemeter dongle is authorizing Reason just like it always has. Nothing broke. No login box. If I unplug the dongle and launch Reason, then I get the login box, as expected.
Yes it's been established that the usb dongle is still working in Big Sur for others. But no longer officially supported so there is no guarantees it will continue to work in future updates.

I agree not supporting USB-C dongles is a cop out.

moneykube

28 Jan 2021

28 Jan 2021
extremely agree!
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

cursors

28 Jan 2021

moneykube wrote: ↑
28 Jan 2021
28 Jan 2021
extremely agree!
:clap: :thumbup: :thumbs_up:

• Information