Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
gdm41

28 Jan 2021

I am only lurking from time to time in here, cause i switched to studio one (cause of the sequencer). BUT the same has happen with studio one, a few months after i bought S1 professional they offered a subscriptions model, 14,99$ a month for all software and addons/plugins presonous offer. Of course I was pissed, but I could do nothing about it. I had the thought, that even when you bought a full license you don´t own anything. So a subscription model and a full license is basically the same. So I sold my S1 license and subscripted because I dont have to deal with future update prices and is (for me) the best and hassle free solution. But what pisses me off (still), is that you cant sell REs, which is completely against the EU law .
Start lending-> http://www.kiva.org

sprinkles__

28 Jan 2021

Luxuria wrote:
28 Jan 2021
especially these recent updates that have done nothing and even the patch notes don't say what they do anymore!
Oh, you noticed that too?

"Reason 11.3.7 Release Notes

General improvements and fixes

(Only available on Reason Standard and Reason Suite)"

Hmm...sounds a bit subjective. I don't like my technology to be subjectively improved. What 'improvements' exactly? Are they what i would consider improvements? Did you fix the broken scrolling? Did you make it easier to change settings on the fly? Or did you just add some backdoor shart that i don't need but may well shaft me down the line...

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2021

gdm41 wrote:
28 Jan 2021
I am only lurking from time to time in here, cause i switched to studio one (cause of the sequencer). BUT the same has happen with studio one, a few months after i bought S1 professional they offered a subscriptions model, 14,99$ a month for all software and addons/plugins presonous offer. Of course I was pissed, but I could do nothing about it. I had the thought, that even when you bought a full license you don´t own anything. So a subscription model and a full license is basically the same. So I sold my S1 license and subscripted because I dont have to deal with future update prices and is (for me) the best and hassle free solution. But what pisses me off (still), is that you cant sell REs, which is completely against the EU law .
There’s actually some VST devs who allow one transfer and then the license becomes NFR.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

pquenin

28 Jan 2021

I own Reason 11 Intro and love it. I was curious to see what Reason 12 will offer in term of workflow and GUI improvments.
But there will be no Reason 12 Intro. What a pity...
About the Reason+ subscription, I wonder why the RS site only shows the monthly fee, I have found nowhere the annual fee...

sprinkles__

28 Jan 2021

pquenin wrote:
28 Jan 2021
About the Reason+ subscription, I wonder why the RS site only shows the monthly fee, I have found nowhere the annual fee...
Monthly fee means you pay them more, nuff said.

Melody303

28 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
28 Jan 2021
EdwardKiy wrote:
28 Jan 2021
:lol: :clap: So you think that if you work to produce something, sell it and give half of your profit to the market owner, you are his competitor, correct?
You think that two different companies that produce similar products selling to the same customer base aren't competitors, correct?

:lol: :thumbup:
Not while one of the two companies is taking a significant chunk out of the other's profits, they're not.
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

sprinkles__

28 Jan 2021

Oh, so my post has been deleted?

Manbun sops is what i said, and i stick by it.

Anybody tell me which version was the last before the companion backdoor?

Creativemind

28 Jan 2021

fieldframe wrote:
27 Jan 2021
buddard wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Maybe this is a premature assessment, but to me this sounds like the final nail in the coffin for us 3rd party RE developers.

The link to the RS shop is now hidden away in the footer on the front page, so it might as well not exist as far as RS customers are concerned, especially the newcomers.
Unless the Reason+ Companion app somehow highlights and/or lets you browse 3rd party products, the shop will probably be all tumbleweeds from now on...

And who will want to buy fixed RE licenses when they're subscribing to the host DAW?
Maybe this will cause a slight increase in RE subscriptions (if they promote them in any way, that is), but that won't provide nearly enough income to recoup the investment of developing new REs.
And when everyone has access to every Reason Studios RE and ReFill from the outset, they're not likely to buy a competing third party RE.

(Mind you, this development was not communicated in advance to any RE developer before today as far as I'm aware.)

Well, it was fun while it lasted! :?
The fact that the shop is now in the footer instead of the header is really not getting enough attention. In my day job, just changing the wording or visual presentation on a link, without even moving it, can cause thousands of users to either ignore or notice it. Moving something to the bottom of the page is something we generally never do; it would have to be motivated by a major shift in business priorities.

This change will have a significant and immediate impact on RE sales, and I presume Reason Studios didn't just do it on a whim.
Just been to their website, first time in ages and yeah, the Shop is right at the bottom. That should be at the top. Have you e-mailed them Buddard? That's not right. All the hard work developers have put in to rack extensions and the shop isn't immediately visible at the top of their website. So new users will miss that, doubt they'd look down there. It should be to the right of Instruments and Effects - Shop!
Last edited by Creativemind on 28 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

EnochLight

28 Jan 2021

Melody303 wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Not while one of the two companies is taking a significant chunk out of the other's profits, they're not.
If you're making products that sell to the same customer base as RE devs and RS does, either you sell yours (and lose some revenue to RS), or you sell NONE and make zero revenue and RS sells theirs instead. So yes - you are absolutely competing at the same time.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

OverneathTheSkyBridg

28 Jan 2021

sprinkles__ wrote:
28 Jan 2021

electrofux

28 Jan 2021

I am totally confused, honestly. So if i as a Reason suite owner go subscription and fire up Reason can i or can i not use my third Party REs. If i can, can i still buy more REs?

Having Reason+ without the RE shop is just plain dumb. Furthermore having no Intro or free RE host is making the situation for third party devs not easier even if they open up Reason+ again for third party REs. If people buy REs then they want to be able to at least use them in some way in case they stop subscribing otherwise alot less people buy REs.
Having this not sorted out before launch of Reason+ is definitly worrying.

The ignition key thing is also not very encouraging. I just checked my auhtorizations and it tells me a cryptic computer number which is currently authorized, which is probably an older computer that doesnt have my soundcard anymore, so deauthorization will be a huge effort if at all possible.

Also in the last years one business model is followed by the next and the development of the DAW is stalling hard. It is really time for them to get their shit sorted out and focus on development. It is not enough to outsource alot of development and just come up with a new own RE once in a while.

Thats all very messy tbh. I have nothing against offering a subscription model alongside Reason but not like this.

MFW

28 Jan 2021

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
28 Jan 2021
sprinkles__ wrote:
28 Jan 2021

I've got 11.3.6d3, but not sure if there was one after that.
I expected better, but it's just PUF rebranded. Cya.

alipi

28 Jan 2021

JiggeryPokery wrote:
28 Jan 2021

You can't have it both ways. Either Reason is doing well and they don't need subscriptions, or it's actually not doing that well and they think they do. But as I explained in an earlier posts, the ARPU probably —see, this bit isn't fact, this is a hypothesis, the previous paragraphs are facts—won't be that much different over a three-year period for them, but it will have to impact on RE sales because, I'll state this again, subbed users are paying monthly for "free" new content, so their disposable is tied up in that, they're likely to have far less income available on better REs from us.
From the latest public annual report from summer 2020 for the year 2019 they mention flat revenue (-1%) compared to 2018 and that they expected growth because of the launch of Reason 11. Roughly $10M revenue and 20% margin. They mention that Verdane Capital owns almost 70% since 2017, the founders own the rest. The plan according to the report is R&D investments, better marketing and new revenue streams to boost growth. To me it looks pretty good, but I guess investors demand more. So both those statements could be true, not bad, but not according to expectations.

easyrider

28 Jan 2021

Do you think it’s worth picking up Suite upgrade while I still can from a third party seller?

EdwardKiy

28 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
28 Jan 2021

You think that two different companies that produce similar products selling to the same customer base aren't competitors, correct?

what two companies? RE developers are basically self-managed Reason employees with extra terrible loose contracts. If they make a bad product and it doesn't sell - reason risked nothing, invested nothing. if they make a good product - reason gets profit having invested nothing, risked nothing. if there is an immediate need for a product that isn't there - they can always make it themselves. Reason scaled up and expanded without having to pay salaries or training personnel or even taking a risk with developing a RE that can turn out to be unpopular.

Wavecademy

28 Jan 2021

I think Reason+ could be a good idea. :puf_smile: The sound packs for inspiring starting points is an interesting idea. It'd be amazing if they added a social element to it like Native Instruments did with Metapop. Something that gives music makers the chance to earn recognition and even win prizes.

:lightbulb: Btw, there's a new Facebook that was created today for anyone that wants to collaborate and share their works in progress using Reason+ sound packs: www.facebook.com/groups/reasonplus/

fieldframe
RE Developer

28 Jan 2021

easyrider wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Do you think it’s worth picking up Suite upgrade while I still can from a third party seller?
If you think you'd use the REs, don't hesitate. It's a great deal, and presumably one that won't happen again.

cymek74

28 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
28 Jan 2021
EdwardKiy wrote:
28 Jan 2021
:lol: :clap: So you think that if you work to produce something, sell it and give half of your profit to the market owner, you are his competitor, correct?

When you go into a food store you don't see them hiding the produce from their suppliers behind the store-branded stuff, and the manager complaining because the customers bought too many brand name loaves and not the in house brand bread, the store is just selling bread and makes money off all sales. Imagine Tesco's complaining that they hit record sales with McVities Digestives and feeling shit because Tesco Digestives stayed at the same sales level as usual. How are they competitors?, the RE Devs don't run shops that sell all the Re's and keep the profits of their own and 30% from the others, and can charge different prices than the Reason shop, if Reason made $10 million in sales off Evolution Sequencer, would they feel terrible because Pattern Mutator only made $50,000 in sales? (silly numbers to make a point).
Last edited by cymek74 on 28 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.
Reason 12, Bitwig 4, Win 10 :recycle: :reason: :re:

sprinkles__

28 Jan 2021

28 Jan 2021
MFW wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Cheers lads

zoidkirb

28 Jan 2021

Luxuria wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Isn't it strange that every time a lackluster feature or version comes out they use the same rhetoric that "If we get more users onboard, then we can work on making the DAW better and provide more frequent updates." It's the same trick that's been brainwashed in people's heads and I feel sorry for the people who actually believe it.
I feel that too and it's been going on for a while. I don't see companies like Sternberg and Ableton going thru a constant need for reinvention . They just put their heads down and try to churn out consistent software improvements, rather than focusing on their next big scheme.

Focus on the core product and the users will go out into forums and their communities and evangelize for free. At the moment it's the exact opposite happening. I've never seen even close to half the outrage on any Steinberg or Ableton forum for a release or an announcement. Is it just Reason users being unusually picky compared to other DAW users?

moneykube

28 Jan 2021

sprinkles__ wrote:
28 Jan 2021
28 Jan 2021
MFW wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Cheers lads
I have 11.3.7.... 11.3.8 was for a bug in preferences for French users... not doing a 1GB download for that !
But I suppose if you want companion you will need 11.3.8 now , as I don't think we can pick and choose updates.
Last edited by moneykube on 28 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

sprinkles__

28 Jan 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Is it just Reason users being unusually picky compared to other DAW users?
It's more that it's Reason users airing their sense of being given the short end of the stick, yet again, when their requests are still being ignored and for years Reason has been in a kind of functional coma.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

28 Jan 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Luxuria wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Isn't it strange that every time a lackluster feature or version comes out they use the same rhetoric that "If we get more users onboard, then we can work on making the DAW better and provide more frequent updates." It's the same trick that's been brainwashed in people's heads and I feel sorry for the people who actually believe it.
I feel that too and it's been going on for a while. I don't see companies like Sternberg and Ableton going thru a constant need for reinvention . They just put their heads down and try to churn out consistent software improvements, rather than focusing on their next big scheme.

Focus on the core product and the users will go out into forums and their communities and evangelize for free. At the moment it's the exact opposite happening. I've never seen even close to half the outrage on any Steinberg or Ableton forum for a release or an announcement. Is it just Reason users being unusually picky compared to other DAW users?
Ultimately Reason 12 is going to be a major decider in what happens moving forward. I feel like it needs to address a clear majority of the workflow issues and have an amazing GUI rebuild. It has to be the release that says to the long time customers "Im so sorry I came home last night at 3am smelling like liquor and whores, please dont leave me."

rcbuse
RE Developer

28 Jan 2021

cymek74 wrote:
28 Jan 2021
If Reason made $10 million in sales off Evolution Sequencer.....
MoneyPanda3.jpg
MoneyPanda3.jpg (94.23 KiB) Viewed 3600 times

cymek74

28 Jan 2021

rcbuse wrote:
28 Jan 2021
cymek74 wrote:
28 Jan 2021
If Reason made $10 million in sales off Evolution Sequencer.....
MoneyPanda3.jpg
LOL, Yip, but I did say "silly numbers to make a point", it was more like $20 million Panda wasn't it?
Reason 12, Bitwig 4, Win 10 :recycle: :reason: :re:

• Information