The Combinator v2 Thread

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
scotward57

18 May 2021

Oh I wish Reason Studios Inc. could divulge even just a little info on what type of CV/audio connections are going to be possible with the new combinator.

I want to be able to create combinator templates for each hardware controller that I own.

From there I can either roll my own patch or make preset patches conform to my hardware controller setup without having to use Reason Remote.

I can't wait to see how this all works and how other Reason users will do sound design and create patches!

raymondh

18 May 2021

scotward57 wrote:
18 May 2021
Oh I wish Reason Studios Inc. could divulge even just a little info on what type of CV/audio connections are going to be possible with the new combinator.

I want to be able to create combinator templates for each hardware controller that I own.

From there I can either roll my own patch or make preset patches conform to my hardware controller setup without having to use Reason Remote.

I can't wait to see how this all works and how other Reason users will do sound design and create patches!
Yes - that would be my main use case too! Fingers crossed!

deeplink
Competition Winner

18 May 2021

Here's to hoping the overhaul won't forego the possibility of Remote Mapping and Automation.

Also... will it sit within the Insert section? :P
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

RoryM0

19 May 2021

deeplink wrote:
18 May 2021
Very interesting point. Right now mix channels double up as combinators... will the mix channels be getting a feature upgrade I wonder. Or will the new one - which we know will replace the existing one - now be able to sit inside a mix channel meaning we can put a combinator 2 inside a combinator 1? INTERESTING.

Yonatan

19 May 2021

I hope new combinator will soon be available for R+ so we can start see youtube demonstrations of it. But I would bet on that the sampler would be added before the combi.

Ottostrom

19 May 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
19 May 2021
deeplink wrote:
18 May 2021
Very interesting point. Right now mix channels double up as combinators... will the mix channels be getting a feature upgrade I wonder. Or will the new one - which we know will replace the existing one - now be able to sit inside a mix channel meaning we can put a combinator 2 inside a combinator 1? INTERESTING.
I really hope the new combinator will let you stack combinators inside each other!
I have a lot of FX combis that I wish I could save as part of the patch itself, which is not possible right now.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

19 May 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
19 May 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
19 May 2021

I really hope the new combinator will let you stack combinators inside each other!
I have a lot of FX combis that I wish I could save as part of the patch itself, which is not possible right now.
Come on, really???? You're that lazy? You just have to combine the two combinators and connect 2 cables. 😜

Ottostrom

19 May 2021

mcatalao wrote:
19 May 2021
Ottostrom wrote:
19 May 2021

Come on, really???? You're that lazy? You just have to combine the two combinators and connect 2 cables. 😜
I'm talking about saving a patch with multiple FX combinators connected which all have individual rotary and button bindings so you can't just move the devices themselves out from the combinator..

mcatalao
Competition Winner

19 May 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
19 May 2021
I'm talking about saving a patch with multiple FX combinators connected which all have individual rotary and button bindings so you can't just move the devices themselves out from the combinator..
You can't have combis inside of combis. But combine the combis and the resulting combinator has the effects and devices from the 2 combis. Do this as many times as you want to and then save your patch.

Ottostrom

19 May 2021

mcatalao wrote:
19 May 2021
Ottostrom wrote:
19 May 2021
You can't have combis inside of combis. But combine the combis and the resulting combinator has the effects and devices from the 2 combis. Do this as many times as you want to and then save your patch.
Yes I know, that's why I specifically mentioned that each FX combi also have individual rotary and button bindings which is what makes them manageable to use and I don't want to lose that functionality.

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

19 May 2021

I hope the mix channels and the mixer are updated to allow for more macro controls in v2 patches. I also hope modulation routings can be copied and pasted across identical devices.

I am excited by this announcement. Combinators are the backbone of my workflow and increased CV routing and processing would definitely be welcome. CV outputs on the new Combinator would be great to be able to really treat these things like new devices.

If RS gave users the ability to lock the Combinator, hide the contents and monetize it this could be a visual RE-programming environment in its own right.

deeplink
Competition Winner

19 May 2021

It'll be interesting to see how deep the customizable interface goes.

I've always been of the opinion that I can recreate any VST on the market - at least the idea of any VST - with a certain Character - but I have always been limited by the usabability of such device given the limites macro controls.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

QVprod

19 May 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
19 May 2021
mcatalao wrote:
19 May 2021

Yes I know, that's why I specifically mentioned that each FX combi also have individual rotary and button bindings which is what makes them manageable to use and I don't want to lose that functionality.
Agreed the combining Combinators thing is cool when you don’t intend to tweak. Cool thing about 2.0 is that it’s configurable, but then that’s manual reassigning required.

I have doubts of this changing though.

zoidkirb

19 May 2021

QVprod wrote:
19 May 2021
Ottostrom wrote:
19 May 2021

Agreed the combining Combinators thing is cool when you don’t intend to tweak. Cool thing about 2.0 is that it’s configurable, but then that’s manual reassigning required.

The idea of combining Combinators is already a thing with the way Ableton let's you nest as many racks/groups as you want into one mega rack. You can even have macro knobs from higher levels controllIng knobs from lower levels.
It's really not that much to ask for and I'll be surprised if it's not implemented.

loopeydoug

19 May 2021

scotward57 wrote:
18 May 2021
If you told me I could have per-patch, hardware-specific remote mappings(without any coding) in the Combinator, I think I would die of relief before I ever got to use the thing.

QVprod

19 May 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
19 May 2021
QVprod wrote:
19 May 2021

The idea of combining Combinators is already a thing with the way Ableton let's you nest as many racks/groups as you want into one mega rack. You can even have macro knobs from higher levels controllIng knobs from lower levels.
It's really not that much to ask for and I'll be surprised if it's not implemented.
I'm aware the concept isn't new. The only thing promised is the customizability. If it were a separate device, I might expect different. I'm happy to be wrong though.

zoidkirb

19 May 2021

QVprod wrote:
19 May 2021
zoidkirb wrote:
19 May 2021

I'm aware the concept isn't new. The only thing promised is the customizability. If it were a separate device, I might expect different. I'm happy to be wrong though.
Yes hopefully the decision to built upon the old Combinator doesn't limit the new functionality.

Ottostrom

20 May 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
19 May 2021
QVprod wrote:
19 May 2021

Exactly!
It's like having a bunch of smaller scripts inside a bigger one to make the code more readable.
But even if it shouldn't be too much to ask for I'm still fairly certain that this will not be implemented.

Ermitage

20 May 2021

I would hope they leverage the fact that it's a closed environment so that if you macro a stepped control it'll give you a stepped knob and show the actual values. And for said knobs to be colour coded and with different knob types that correspond to different functions (fx, tone generation, filter etc.)

I would also hope that they've taken cues from Bitwig and implemented a built-in modulation tab with LFOs, MSEGS and so on.

madmacman

20 May 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
20 May 2021
Exactly!
It's like having a bunch of smaller scripts inside a bigger one to make the code more readable.
But even if it shouldn't be too much to ask for I'm still fairly certain that this will not be implemented.
I can already hear the outrage in this forum when the PDC no longer works as expected. :lol:

electrofux

20 May 2021

I dont know about the Combinator within a Combinator thing. As cool as it would be, things would get pretty complicated quickly. And how would it be done graphically. As it is every nested Combinator would cut out some space at the edges.
If the make the new Combinator very dynamical in terms of CV ins and Controlls, i dont think we would need the nesting option that much.

I wonder how they implement the Remote side of things when the number of items is dynamic and of course what the max number of controls is.

sdst
Competition Winner

20 May 2021

be able to put skin on the knobs

or at least different knob designs

you can't make a cute design with the same ugly knobs

Loque

20 May 2021

sdst wrote:
20 May 2021
be able to put skin on the knobs

or at least different knob designs

you can't make a cute design with the same ugly knobs
This is something i am hoping for too. It wont take long until we see some knob and fader libs here... And/Or maybe there will be some kind of build-in lib to chose controller designs.
Reason12, Win10

scotward57

20 May 2021

electrofux wrote:
20 May 2021
I dont know about the Combinator within a Combinator thing. As cool as it would be, things would get pretty complicated quickly. And how would it be done graphically. As it is every nested Combinator would cut out some space at the edges.
If the make the new Combinator very dynamical in terms of CV ins and Controlls, i dont think we would need the nesting option that much.

I wonder how they implement the Remote side of things when the number of items is dynamic and of course what the max number of controls is.
I agree. I remember when I obsessed over trying to build super combis and doing the drag and drop thing or daisy-chaining through the use of the RPG-8 midi to cv converter. Later on I found quite a few combi presets already setup and wired pretty much the way I wanted. I just needed to change device patches within the combi or do minimal programming tweaks.
Nesting became something I rarely ever do or think about.

What I ultimately want is to have one rack host my hardware controller combis, locked to my controllers, then be able to wire or connect to other devices as I see fit. The whole song file, in effect, becomes the super combi.

scotward57

20 May 2021

Ermitage wrote:
20 May 2021
I would hope they leverage the fact that it's a closed environment so that if you macro a stepped control it'll give you a stepped knob and show the actual values. And for said knobs to be colour coded and with different knob types that correspond to different functions (fx, tone generation, filter etc.)

I would also hope that they've taken cues from Bitwig and implemented a built-in modulation tab with LFOs, MSEGS and so on.
That's a good point about the knobs. The video makes it look like there will be different objects and colors. I'm also interested to see what additional sources and destinations become possible. Remaining on my wishlist is to be able to trigger Blocks.

• Information