High resolution Reason is here!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
orthodox
RE Developer

13 Jul 2021

Emian wrote:
13 Jul 2021
Yes but,

orthodox wrote:
13 Jul 2021

We don't really have to switch to R12, we can stay on R11. We have a choice that the perpetual license buyers don't have.
i don't think when Reason 12 is officially out you won't have a choice to use version 11anymore as a subscriber.

People who buy their licenses still chose if they want to upgrade or not....
I was arguing the point that we subscribers were forced to be guinea pigs for R12.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

13 Jul 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
13 Jul 2021
OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
13 Jul 2021

Yep this is where I'm at as well. Also this hi res thing should be an 11.5 upgrade for all the faithful users that should've had this functionality 4 versions ago, not some forked off version for subscription users.
I don't see the Reason + subscribers as the lucky ones here. Basically they have to pay to be beta testers and experience all the early problems/bugs. And then us licence buyers come along once it's all fixed. Sounds fine to me. :lol:
True, I have no problem staying on R11 Suite til this stuff is resolved. But still... I stand by my statement that the GUI portion at least should be an 11.5 upgrade. The fact that it's essentially running in R11 but blocked off from R11 users is off putting.

QVprod

13 Jul 2021

13 Jul 2021
TritoneAddiction wrote:
13 Jul 2021

I don't see the Reason + subscribers as the lucky ones here. Basically they have to pay to be beta testers and experience all the early problems/bugs. And then us licence buyers come along once it's all fixed. Sounds fine to me. :lol:
True, I have no problem staying on R11 Suite til this stuff is resolved. But still... I stand by my statement that the GUI portion at least should be an 11.5 upgrade. The fact that it's essentially running in R11 but blocked off from R11 users is off putting.
But it’s not running in R11. It’s an early access version of R12. You literally have to download a new application. And it’s optional. No one’s forced to be a beta tester.

There’s some overall confusion here. Understandably, as only subscribers are able to see how it works, but conceivably, a subscriber could very well stay on R11 after 12 is released by simply not updating Reason. Updates in R+ work the same way all other updates work. Particularly since a fair amount of subscribers owned R11 outright anyway.

Also, remember that early access is only ONE of the features of Reason +.

Faastwalker

13 Jul 2021

orthodox wrote:
13 Jul 2021
Emian wrote:
13 Jul 2021
Yes but,

i don't think when Reason 12 is officially out you won't have a choice to use version 11anymore as a subscriber.

People who buy their licenses still chose if they want to upgrade or not....
I was arguing the point that we subscribers were forced to be guinea pigs for R12.
Does feel a little like that. After realizing my error in not updating to hi-res in Companion I'm still having issues. Like eventually devices update. But certain parts of the GUI remain low-res. Usually some of the text. It's a bit odd and doesn't seem to rectify itself over time. I tried deleting and adding it again. It comes back the same! And that was with the built in Sweeper Modulation Effect! :? But seems to be happening with a lot of the devices I've tried. Will (beta) test it some more today :clap:

earwig83

13 Jul 2021

I haven't updated yet. Will get R12 perpetual when it comes out. But reading the way they implemented zoom, I'm starting to think developers at RS are really building a crappy Frankenstein of code at this point. Does not sound very promising.

The new browser features are pretty weak by the looks of it. Is it still a single column of devices? annoying! I hope I am wrong.

EDIT: Wanted to add a few more thoughts. Will I be able to search "delay" and it will show all delay devices, even echos? Because it doesn't as of 11. Seems pure logic that each device should be tagged properly. Hope that is fixed.

I really think that company is lazy and milking legacy software at this point. It sucks, had mad respect for nearly 2 decades. I keep trying to defend the platform to my music friend and I keep embarrassing myself when I notice the issues I continue to struggle with understanding.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

14 Jul 2021

QVprod wrote:
13 Jul 2021
13 Jul 2021

But it’s not running in R11. It’s an early access version of R12. You literally have to download a new application. And it’s optional. No one’s forced to be a beta tester.

There’s some overall confusion here. Understandably, as only subscribers are able to see how it works, but conceivably, a subscriber could very well stay on R11 after 12 is released by simply not updating Reason. Updates in R+ work the same way all other updates work. Particularly since a fair amount of subscribers owned R11 outright anyway.

Also, remember that early access is only ONE of the features of Reason +.
Ok, I get what you're saying. I guess it was a communication error; to me it seemed like R+ users were getting a sneak peak before R12 was released but actually the build is indeed R12 itself that they're receiving. Looking forward to seeing how this release plan looks moving forward, but I'm hoping that perpetual license people aren't feeling shorted during the cycle.

QVprod

14 Jul 2021

earwig83 wrote:
13 Jul 2021
I haven't updated yet. Will get R12 perpetual when it comes out. But reading the way they implemented zoom, I'm starting to think developers at RS are really building a crappy Frankenstein of code at this point. Does not sound very promising.

The new browser features are pretty weak by the looks of it. Is it still a single column of devices? annoying! I hope I am wrong.

EDIT: Wanted to add a few more thoughts. Will I be able to search "delay" and it will show all delay devices, even echos? Because it doesn't as of 11. Seems pure logic that each device should be tagged properly. Hope that is fixed.

I really think that company is lazy and milking legacy software at this point. It sucks, had mad respect for nearly 2 decades. I keep trying to defend the platform to my music friend and I keep embarrassing myself when I notice the issues I continue to struggle with understanding.
The new browser features haven’t been added yet.

zoidkirb

14 Jul 2021

I like the new HD look a lot. Even on 1080p/24" it makes a big difference for me. 120% zoom is perfect.
The implementation is kinda weird and clunky though. TBH I'd probably rather just set the size once and re-boot, and everything scales up in one go.
Eventually it would be nice to not have to also zoom into things such as the transport bar. Or at least if that has to, then make it more HD or something.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Jul 2021

QVprod wrote:
13 Jul 2021

Good to know. I was wondering about this. I didn't know if Reason + users got updates automatically or not, if there was a choice by the user or not.

slic

14 Jul 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
14 Jul 2021
I like the new HD look a lot. Even on 1080p/24" it makes a big difference for me. 120% zoom is perfect.
The implementation is kinda weird and clunky though. TBH I'd probably rather just set the size once and re-boot, and everything scales up in one go.
Eventually it would be nice to not have to also zoom into things such as the transport bar. Or at least if that has to, then make it more HD or something.
They just need to modernise that transport bar, make it thinner, HD, loose the mock 3D wave bits....

buddard
RE Developer

14 Jul 2021

QVprod wrote:
14 Jul 2021
earwig83 wrote:
13 Jul 2021

Yes, I think the improved browser is included in the latest preview?

The three features they're highlighting in their marketing right now includes hi-res graphics, application zoom and the faster browser. The browser improvements are also mentioned in the recent blog post:
That's not all though, we've also improved search in Reason's Browser. Gone are the days of typing your search term, hitting enter, and then sighing as Reason crawls through your massive folder of samples, patches and ReFills. We now build a search index from all your locations (you know, the things you keep in your Browser sidebar) and immediately show search results as you type. The results are categorized by type and you can easily switch to searching All Locations at once. No need to worry about where a specific patch is located, searching All Locations will find it. Much like high resolution, this is also a great foundation for us to keep improving Reason's Browser and make it easier to find what you need—or just go exploring.
So all that's missing now for the full scope of Reason 12 seems to be the new Combinator and the new sampler.

northside76

14 Jul 2021

is anyone else having the problem with reason 12? it keeps tell me that it can't find the scratch drive and won't load but reason 12 beta loads just fine.

helmutson

14 Jul 2021

buddard wrote:
14 Jul 2021
QVprod wrote:
14 Jul 2021

The three features they're highlighting in their marketing right now includes hi-res graphics, application zoom and the faster browser. The browser improvements are also mentioned in the recent blog post:
That's not all though, we've also improved search in Reason's Browser. Gone are the days of typing your search term, hitting enter, and then sighing as Reason crawls through your massive folder of samples, patches and ReFills. We now build a search index from all your locations (you know, the things you keep in your Browser sidebar) and immediately show search results as you type. The results are categorized by type and you can easily switch to searching All Locations at once. No need to worry about where a specific patch is located, searching All Locations will find it. Much like high resolution, this is also a great foundation for us to keep improving Reason's Browser and make it easier to find what you need—or just go exploring.
So all that's missing now for the full scope of Reason 12 seems to be the new Combinator and the new sampler.
... and a new (or updated) soundbank !

deeplink
Competition Winner

14 Jul 2021

We were also promised workflow enhancements in the Reason+ blog.

Maybe they consider the faster browser and sync'd previews of Rex Loops as workflow enhancements?
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

DaveyG

14 Jul 2021

northside76 wrote:
14 Jul 2021
is anyone else having the problem with reason 12? it keeps tell me that it can't find the scratch drive and won't load but reason 12 beta loads just fine.
In the advanced settings you can set a new location for it.

Billy+

14 Jul 2021

Deep Schulzz wrote:
13 Jul 2021
Billy+ wrote:
13 Jul 2021

Out of interest does the RAM usage go back to normal after the RE's have been rescaled?
If you close Reason fully and reopen the same project is the RAM usage better?
No, after rescaling is done and opening the project again the RAM usage is extremely high again and the RAM load then gets a little lower.
I guess having more details is going to use more resources no matter what way it's done...

Deep Schulzz

14 Jul 2021

Billy+ wrote:
14 Jul 2021
Deep Schulzz wrote:
13 Jul 2021

No, after rescaling is done and opening the project again the RAM usage is extremely high again and the RAM load then gets a little lower.
I guess having more details is going to use more resources no matter what way it's done...
Yes, that's right. But a project that needed 5,5GB RAM done in R11 now starts with a RAM load of nearly 14GB. Something is absolutely wrong there. And the loading time is at least twice as long. It feels as if Reason loads all devices two times or something. And I have the feeling that the RAM usage only gets lower when scrolling the rack up and down. Both of my music PC are showing this annoying behaviour. For now R12 is not really usable for me. I actually feel like an involuntary beta tester.

DaveyG

14 Jul 2021

Deep Schulzz wrote:
14 Jul 2021

But a project that needed 5,5GB RAM done in R11 now starts with a RAM load of nearly 14GB.
That's crazy. Maybe each RE now comes with a built-in HD video for more future proofing. :lol:

helmutson

14 Jul 2021

Some explanatory words from RS would be very welcome ! (Matthias?)

helmutson

14 Jul 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
13 Jul 2021
13 Jul 2021

Yep this is where I'm at as well. Also this hi res thing should be an 11.5 upgrade for all the faithful users that should've had this functionality 4 versions ago, not some forked off version for subscription users.
... sounds exactly like It feel's at the moment :(

guitfnky

14 Jul 2021

Deep Schulzz wrote:
14 Jul 2021
Billy+ wrote:
14 Jul 2021

Yes, that's right. But a project that needed 5,5GB RAM done in R11 now starts with a RAM load of nearly 14GB. Something is absolutely wrong there. And the loading time is at least twice as long. It feels as if Reason loads all devices two times or something. And I have the feeling that the RAM usage only gets lower when scrolling the rack up and down. Both of my music PC are showing this annoying behaviour. For now R12 is not really usable for me. I actually feel like an involuntary beta tester.
:shock: yikes.

do you have a dedicated graphics card? seems like any additional memory needed for hi res *should* be handled by the GPU. sounds like they’ve missed the mark there.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

epoch

14 Jul 2021

Deep Schulzz wrote:
14 Jul 2021
Billy+ wrote:
14 Jul 2021

Yikes! I hope for those of us still using standard definition monitors we can opt-out of Reason 12 loading all these RAM hungry @2x assets into memory unnecessarily!
Last edited by epoch on 14 Jul 2021, edited 1 time in total.

QVprod

14 Jul 2021

buddard wrote:
14 Jul 2021
QVprod wrote:
14 Jul 2021

Ah you’re right, they did add the faster browser. I have a feeling there’s more though. That’s to be seen.

Noise
Competition Winner

14 Jul 2021

Asking for a friend:

In this folder resides a bunch of PNG's files, for the devices. It's possible to re-edit some of the skins but I wonder if it's morally correct ?
C:\Users\user_name_\AppData\Local\Propellerhead Software\Reason\GraphicsCache\175\

Tip: Convert some Re's to "black edition"
Tip: Community Skin editions :)
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

QVprod

14 Jul 2021

epoch wrote:
14 Jul 2021
Deep Schulzz wrote:
14 Jul 2021

Yikes! I hope for those of us still using standard definition monitors we can opt-out of Reason 12 loading all these RAM hungry @2x assets into memory unnecessarily!
This does seem to vary by computer. I’m having no noticeable issues at all. Even the logging beta felt normal on my system. 2018 Mac mini. 16GB RAM 6 core i5

• Information