reason 12 early access

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
QVprod

28 Jul 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
28 Jul 2021
DaveyG wrote:
28 Jul 2021

Don't panic yet! The public Beta programme is ticking along with another version released yesterday so the flakiness is gradually being ironed out.
With only a month to go I'm wondering if the two new devices will not be part of the Beta and will either get released to everyone on Sept 1 or will be available early to R+ subs, which means that those users will effectively be beta testing them for a few weeks ahead of release day. Either way I think we can expect a point update within a month or two of release to nail some of the bugs that emerge.
And there I was thinking + users were going to be privileged with new 12 features 'when they were ready' in advance of the full release on September 1st. Silly me!! :? :roll:
Were they not?

Personally enjoying my early access to being able to actually see the knobs on devices and a faster browser.

david1806

28 Jul 2021

Hi all...

So having Reason+, I got myself updated to Reason 12. I just wanted to check that I have this right - the only two upgrades are the browser apparently works better, and we have the hi-res option. I am not having a moan, just wondering if I was missing anything. Doesn't seem much considering it is v11 to v12 (more like v11 to v11.1....!).

But the other thing is, lordy, v12 is really proper iffy. EVERY time I save a doc, I get the 'Program not Responding' message and it just hangs there for awhile. As long as I don't click on the screen, it does eventually sort itself out. Although I have had a couple of occasions it has crashed completely.

It is definitely v12 - never happened with v11.

No biggie, just wondering what you wonderful people thought or had experienced.... :thumbup:

Also, why I am here, anyone else use Skio...?

Cheers all!!

PhillipOrdonez

28 Jul 2021

You've missed something. There's more coming to Reason 12 than the browser and the graphics.

QVprod

28 Jul 2021

david1806 wrote:
28 Jul 2021
Hi all...

So having Reason+, I got myself updated to Reason 12. I just wanted to check that I have this right - the only two upgrades are the browser apparently works better, and we have the hi-res option. I am not having a moan, just wondering if I was missing anything. Doesn't seem much considering it is v11 to v12 (more like v11 to v11.1....!).
https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog

DaveyG

28 Jul 2021

david1806 wrote:
28 Jul 2021
I just wanted to check that I have this right - the only two upgrades are the browser apparently works better, and we have the hi-res option.
No, you have that wrong. In addition in R12 there will be a new combinator and a new sampler, plus maybe some smaller stuff they haven't mentioned. They are trying to add value to the R+ subscription by offering "early access" to some R12 features but it does seem to be causing a bit of confusion.

On Sept 1 the "full" version of R12 will launch to R+ users and to non-subs users who buy the upgrade. That is the version that will be Reason 12.0 (or whatever). There will then be a bunch of free updates for all R12 users throughout the following year or two before (presumably) R13 lands. I'm assuming they continue their typical release pattern. I guess there may also be some more "early release" things from R13 that are made available to R+ subscribers at some point in the R12 lifecycle but with RS you can neve be sure. Maybe they will have changed their sale model yet again by then. I'm really surprised they have not come up with a R11 Suite upgrade of some sort. It would be easy money I think.

Creativemind

29 Jul 2021

Looking forward to seeing what they've done with this new Combinator. Will we get a teaser d'you think after they're back from their hols?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

fullforce

29 Jul 2021

Creativemind wrote:
29 Jul 2021
Looking forward to seeing what they've done with this new Combinator. Will we get a teaser d'you think after they're back from their hols?
I'm really curious about the sampler. I hope they get it right this time.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

PhillipOrdonez

29 Jul 2021

Yes sampler is what I'm most intrigued about.

slic

29 Jul 2021

I think the sampler is going to be a simple tool for quickly chopping and messing up samples…something like simpler in Live…

helmutson

30 Jul 2021

slic wrote:
29 Jul 2021
I think the sampler is going to be a simple tool for quickly chopping and messing up samples…something like simpler in Live…
probably ... and honestly, R12 ? I'm not impressed until now, but I wish I was ...

VIVIsect

30 Jul 2021

slic wrote:
29 Jul 2021

Personally, this is all I'm asking from it. I'm a Live user and I use Simpler extensively. I've been wanting a suitable replacement to use in Reason forever. Maybe I can soon retire my Vice and Nuance VSTs.

scotward57

01 Aug 2021

I've been slapped around by the mods a few times these past couple of months for stating the obvious. R+ has been a flop as it always was destined to be. Everybody knows that RS has fallen behind the times and to compensate for the lost revenue, first they lie about it telling everybody that record profits came from R11 sales. And now they are trying to convince their loyal customers that giving them 20 bucks a month is a FEATURE!! And wow what a feature, eh! Instead of making it like every other DAW, where you can resize a window at will, they went with some zoom percentage drop down menu that slows down the launch of the app.

The worst part of it is they bought off a bunch of of their customers with the $3 gimmick to jump aboard the R+ train. Now going into August, a full 2 months into the 3 month announcement, they have yet to give the R+ subscribers a promised early release of the new combinator or sampler.

How could RS let this happen?

slic

01 Aug 2021

Paying $20 a month is just an 'option' to access everything instantly without having to spend a lot of money. You can of course still buy Reason, you don't need to use R+ but some people may think the 'option' is a worthwhile addition (Presonus and others have done it already)

''bought off a bunch of of their customers with the $3 gimmick'' is a bit hysterical, it was again just an 'option' and in my opinion a good deal even just to download (and keep) hundreds of sound packs (which keep working after you cancel the subscription)

I'm pretty sure the combination of HD and the Rack will attract a lot of new users, it will also be interesting to see what instruments and FX will be 'standard' in R12 (especially as there is no R12 Suite) - we know for sure there will be a new sampler and improved combiner for everyone 'at least'

guitfnky

01 Aug 2021

using R+ sounds like a good secondary option on paper, if you need to temporarily access more than you have access to with a standard purchased license, but if you ever save your work in R+, you have to assume that will break any compatibility with your standard license for that project. which is kind of a dumb position to put oneself in unless absolutely necessary. I’m sure there are edge situations where it makes sense, but for most people, it seems like just another crappy way to keep people investing in a subscription.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Billy+

01 Aug 2021

scotward57 wrote:
01 Aug 2021
The worst part of it is they bought off a bunch of of their customers with the $3 gimmick to jump aboard the R+ train.
I don't feel brought off, I got some good content

A £1 a month for the content packs is well worth it. I own every device in the subscription service already so £20 doesn't make any sense if V12 had features that I would want I would probably consider paying £1 a month for the content but I would definitely prefer to buy devices.

As for 11 being more profitable I'm not sure, what I would say is that I wouldn't have brought it as standard but suite made it a good value bundle which convinced me to buy 11 (suite)

But standalone DAW features is what I'm after not gimmicks samplers or new combinator ;)
guitfnky wrote:
01 Aug 2021
using R+ sounds like a good secondary option on paper, if you need to temporarily access more than you have access to with a standard purchased license, but if you ever save your work in R+, you have to assume that will break any compatibility with your standard license for that project. which is kind of a dumb position to put oneself in unless absolutely necessary. I’m sure there are edge situations where it makes sense, but for most people, it seems like just another crappy way to keep people investing in a subscription.
First time users are definitely getting an excellent deal for £20 a month especially as it's looking like RS are going for the content and plugin market rather than trying to compete in the DAW market (unfortunately) maybe things will change in a few versions but for now it's very clear who the target audience is and it's not people like me.......

The only question I would have as a subscriber is what happens when devices like PX7 get removed etc, do you still have access to them?
Last edited by Billy+ on 01 Aug 2021, edited 1 time in total.

scotward57

01 Aug 2021

slic wrote:
01 Aug 2021
Paying $20 a month is just an 'option' to access everything instantly without having to spend a lot of money. You can of course still buy Reason, you don't need to use R+ but some people may think the 'option' is a worthwhile addition (Presonus and others have done it already)

''bought off a bunch of of their customers with the $3 gimmick'' is a bit hysterical, it was again just an 'option' and in my opinion a good deal even just to download (and keep) hundreds of sound packs (which keep working after you cancel the subscription)

I'm pretty sure the combination of HD and the Rack will attract a lot of new users, it will also be interesting to see what instruments and FX will be 'standard' in R12 (especially as there is no R12 Suite) - we know for sure there will be a new sampler and improved combiner for everyone 'at least'
Yes I hyperbolic a bit much. But what makes you so sure HD and the rack will attract new users? If a new customer intends for RS to be their main DAW and they absolutely can't afford to pay full price, maybe. But how many potential users are we talking about? Not that many.

I know if I were a new customer, it would be easier to get into something like Ableton or Logic if I owned a Mac already. You go buy your first MIDI controller and LIVE takes the Lion's share of instant MIDI controller integration right out of the box. Reason gets some support but nowhere near the level of integration. You look at the list of supported Remote controllers and it reads like a graveyard of items to be hunted down on reverb.com.

Sure there are hidden treasures, especially for those who've been longtime users. But we're talking about the supposed main purpose of R+, right? To attract new customers, right? What fool would want to invest in a platform that has seen better days?

These are honest questions that RS must contend with because the market demands it. If they fail to do so, then all of them will be begging for jobs. LOL love the hyperbole!!

Billy+

01 Aug 2021

scotward57 wrote:
01 Aug 2021
slic wrote:
01 Aug 2021

Yes I hyperbolic a bit much. But what makes you so sure HD and the rack will attract new users? If a new customer intends for RS to be their main DAW and they absolutely can't afford to pay full price, maybe. But how many potential users are we talking about? Not that many.

I know if I were a new customer, it would be easier to get into something like Ableton or Logic if I owned a Mac already. You go buy your first MIDI controller and LIVE takes the Lion's share of instant MIDI controller integration right out of the box. Reason gets some support but nowhere near the level of integration. You look at the list of supported Remote controllers and it reads like a graveyard of items to be hunted down on reverb.com.

Sure there are hidden treasures, especially for those who've been longtime users. But we're talking about the supposed main purpose of R+, right? To attract new customers, right? What fool would want to invest in a platform that has seen better days?

These are honest questions that RS must contend with because the market demands it. If they fail to do so, then all of them will be begging for jobs. LOL love the hyperbole!!
I would guess that the whole point of Plus and RRP was for users of other DAW's and £20 a month is a much better idea than £1500+ ;)

joeyluck

01 Aug 2021

It sounds like you aren't considering the RRP?

It's not hard at all for me to imagine sales being greater for R11. It brought us Suite which many upgraded to and it brought us the RRP which got many non-Reason users onboard. The audience is larger.

As mentioned, Reason+ is an option whether you are using the DAW or RRP.

scotward57 you seem both upset by the subscription option existing and also eager about early access features. It's hard to figure whether you are a subscriber or not.

guitfnky

01 Aug 2021

Billy+ wrote:
01 Aug 2021
First time users are definitely getting an excellent deal for £20 a month
nah. 😂
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

scotward57

01 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
01 Aug 2021

It's not hard at all for me to imagine sales being greater for R11. It brought us Suite which many upgraded to and it brought us the RRP which got many non-Reason users onboard. The audience is larger.

scotward57 you seem both upset by the subscription option existing and also eager about early access features. It's hard to figure whether you are a subscriber or not.
I have R11 suite and R12 beta. Why can't I be upset and still a loyal customer? Is RS made of glass or something? Maybe some of you mods are. But RS needs to hear the good, bad and ugly, however it comes out. After all, even some of the most loyal reason users who have made something of a YouTube career as a Reason user aren't exactly happy with the direction of RS. Maybe you should go hunt them down and straighten out their bad attitude. LOL - yes it's true I do hyperbolic way too much!!

Billy+

01 Aug 2021

guitfnky wrote:
01 Aug 2021
Billy+ wrote:
01 Aug 2021
First time users are definitely getting an excellent deal for £20 a month
nah. 😂
I guess it's what you want, personally I couldn't spend £20 a month for software service but I already own everything that's included in the service except for the content packs and I'm sure if you was just starting out and the bank of mum & dad is covering the cost then it's cheaper than some of the crap kids waste money on.

cancel Netflix Prime Disney+ and spending a year learning a skill or having fun with some friends for £20 sounds cheap, I spend more on beer or playing snooker in a week than £20 and society is frow away now what's £20 without any commitment for kids these days :lol:

slic

01 Aug 2021

At some point its just an exercise in maths if R+ it is right for you- If you always buy updates and the new devices RS put out it may be a cheaper way to stray up to date (and defiantly a cheaper way to accesses everything!).

Sure, if you ever 'give up' music or just want to stop using Reason you will have nothing to sell, but I hate all that hassle anyway (it's why I lease cars!) and you always loose a ton of money 'updating' anyway as the new version price remains the same- this is the same with all DAWS...you can spend 1000's with all the updates (as I did with Cubase V1-9) and when you come to sell you will find they are doing the latest version on some new user xgrade offer for £150 and you basilcay get sod all for your licence!

OR- you can just stay on V11 Suite (that's what I have) and not upgrade or buy anything new and you are saving yourself 20 a month...that the other option...time will tell how much 'free' stuff and new REs R+ users get and how much you are missing out!

For what its worth, I think they were a bit optimistic asking for £20 a month- something like 12/month may tempt more over to the darkside...but then I think they did a sale anyway for £130 for the year, maybe they will do that every year or offer perpetual licence holders a big permanent discount :-) If you hold a fill licence of 11 or up you get R+ for £8 month, any takers ;-)

QVprod

01 Aug 2021

scotward57 wrote:
01 Aug 2021
joeyluck wrote:
01 Aug 2021

I have R11 suite and R12 beta. Why can't I be upset and still a loyal customer? Is RS made of glass or something? Maybe some of you mods are. But RS needs to hear the good, bad and ugly, however it comes out. After all, even some of the most loyal reason users who have made something of a YouTube career as a Reason user aren't exactly happy with the direction of RS. Maybe you should go hunt them down and straighten out their bad attitude. LOL - yes it's true I do hyperbolic way too much!!
Worth stating to avoid this weird “us vs them” thing that happens occasionally. A mod disagreeing with you is NOT moderation. We keep the forum clean (spam, personal attacks…etc…). We don’t police what you think. :puf_smile:

That aside, I don’t think anyone’s defending the current roll out. It’s to be seen how the rest of early access goes for August. Truth of the matter is, while it goes against what we expect, if we don’t get the new combinator and sampler until Sept 1st, they will have technically still lived up to their word of delivering the new features “as soon as it's available.” :lol: https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/announcing-reason-12

Billy+

01 Aug 2021

QVprod wrote:
01 Aug 2021

That aside, I don’t think anyone’s defending the current roll out. It’s to be seen how the rest of early access goes for August. Truth of the matter is, while it goes against what we expect, if we don’t get the new combinator and sampler until Sept 1st, they will have technically still lived up to their word of delivering the new features “as soon as it's available.” :lol: https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/announcing-reason-12
:lol:

I think they are trying to hard to make Plus work, the fact that you can get access to all the devices and the DAW and the content packs and RRP for £20 a month really is a good deal for new customers and so long as I can still buy a license when I want to keeps me happy, I'm a little pis*ed that I couldn't access the content packs as I own the devices and brought a license but £1 for the content made me less pis*ed :thumbs_up:

I still think that they could offer some kind of middle ground to us that own every thing or prefer to buy rather than rent.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2021

Billy+ wrote:
01 Aug 2021

I still think that they could offer some kind of middle ground to us that own every thing or prefer to buy rather than rent.
R12 upgrade?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information