Mimic: New Creative Sampler

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tanni

11 Aug 2021

adfielding wrote:
11 Aug 2021
I think it's pretty darn cool - first time I fired it up I had some ideas going within a couple of minutes, and - without wishing to sound like a cliché - I'm all about instruments that inspire ideas.

I also think it was a smart move to focus on making a creative sampler rather than a big ol' Kontakt-type thing - for one, Kontakt already exists, and secondly I think something like Mimic fits the rack better. It's definitely one of those "I wouldn't have asked for it, but now I've used it, hey, actually it fits my workflow like a glove" devices. I think we've reached a point within Reason where there are so many devices and Rack Extensions that there's always going to be a certain amount of feature overlap on paper, but that doesn't take away from my appreciation if the device encourages new ideas via a different approach. Results are important, but the process is the bit I find the most enjoyable.
full ACK, I like this new sampler, I dont need these 20 GB Libraries, Mimic is a real creative thing and for the fantastic workflow if you working with samples while musicmaking. Nice tool ! :thumbs_up:

fullforce

11 Aug 2021

craste wrote:
10 Aug 2021
Hey peeps, if you haven’t got anything nice to say, don’t say it.
Hey dude, if I want to criticize something about a company that I buy products from, that's my right to do so. Especially if that company (consciously or not) treats potential new (or maybe just current) customers as idiots.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

fullforce

11 Aug 2021

flexluthor wrote:
11 Aug 2021
This would have been pretty cool back when Reason 6 came out. Now though? Come one. No mod matrix. No key detect. Cant even load rex files. Just the typical lazy Reason Studios trash.
Yep. Great hype video though, if you don't know what sampling is.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

fullforce

11 Aug 2021

Marc Swing wrote:
10 Aug 2021
  • No trigger mode "make the sample play in a one shot fashion" (tap my midi controller and have the sample play all the way until the end without having to hold the pad/key down)
  • No sample choke when trigger next sample
Isn't that what mono retrig and mono legato are supposed to do?

fullforce

11 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
11 Aug 2021

While there are more features I hope they add, it does have some great stretch modes with melody, advanced, and vocal that we don't have in other samplers in Reason. And it has a slice sensitivity setting which we don't yet have in Reason's sequencer.
Which is what we should have had 4 years ago. In the sequencer.

ravasb

11 Aug 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
11 Aug 2021
ravasb wrote:
11 Aug 2021
I wonder if it would be possible to use slice mode with all eight slots at once for some unique mayhem that would distinguish this from other samplers I use. I still think it could use returns for the fx. I know I can set up other mix tracks, but one of the only advantages of Mimic is working quickly without a lot of setup.
I think you can
I do not see how to do this in slice mode. There is also no way of automating the slots.

fullforce

11 Aug 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
10 Aug 2021
fullforce wrote:
10 Aug 2021
Can't even reverse per slice. Worthless.
I refuse to believe this. You must be able to reverse per slice.
Are you being sarcastic?

RoryM0

11 Aug 2021

fullforce wrote:
11 Aug 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
10 Aug 2021

I refuse to believe this. You must be able to reverse per slice.
Are you being sarcastic?
No. I don't have 12 yet, I'm communicating that it blows me away that this apparently isn't possible. Not being able to reverse per slice is a bizarre omission.

fullforce

11 Aug 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
11 Aug 2021
fullforce wrote:
11 Aug 2021

Are you being sarcastic?
No. I don't have 12 yet, I'm communicating that it blows me away that this apparently isn't possible. Not being able to reverse per slice is a bizarre omission.
The Renoise sampler is lightyears ahead of this mediocre thing. It's an insult really. But they did it again, conned me into buying their mediocre update.

PhillipOrdonez

11 Aug 2021

ravasb wrote:
11 Aug 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
11 Aug 2021

I think you can
I do not see how to do this in slice mode. There is also no way of automating the slots.
Okay yeah you cannot in slice mode, just tried it. Was getting mixed up with multi mode.

Billy+

11 Aug 2021

fullforce wrote:
11 Aug 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
11 Aug 2021

The Renoise sampler is lightyears ahead of this mediocre thing. It's an insult really. But they did it again, conned me into buying their mediocre update.

How was you conned?

Are you running V12 early access?
That's subscription so you could cancel the subscription...

Or did you buy V11 with the free version 12 in September?

artotaku

11 Aug 2021

fullforce wrote:
11 Aug 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
11 Aug 2021

Well, at least the reverse button is remotable (good for live use) on all of the eight slots. There isn´t any multi-sample device by RS where this has ever been possible (Kong, Umpfs, Octorex, NNXT have reverse functions).

ortxedys

11 Aug 2021

bangaio wrote:
11 Aug 2021
kbard wrote:
11 Aug 2021

You can't be serious. He is an individual and as such he can not cover all the possible grounds and history of music. As a such (an individual) he have the rights to be different then someone else and to create music his own way.

Anyway my point is it's not fair to judge company representative for his subjective workflow ideas and then to impose that picture onto a company itself because he is just a human being.

I could find at least one "major" thing that I am familiar with but you never used it. Does that make you obsolete. No! Just different.

Moreover I think it's just a marketing stunt so a nice way to show or to attract a people to this.

Regards
It’s the same marketing stuff they have used for too long now. They used to put time and effort into promoting a product with clever - funny videos that showed off their new whatever. Now we have Ryan. Kind of prepared and practised but it looks like they have a Youtuber showing off their products. No disrespect to Ryan but it just isn’t polished or professional and just comes across and amateurish and slightly false. It’s like: here is me trying to use this thing and make something that is clearly very well prepped and rehearsed. I don’t really believe him when he says he doesn’t use samplers when he is the product guy for a company who use sampling for their two samplers, grain, Kong, redrum etc. At first look I thought it looks neat then I went back into logic and carries on.
You know you're the only person on here complaining about the video? The amateur claim is funny coming from you. Your nitpicking isn't the general consensus, bub.

fullforce

11 Aug 2021

ortxedys wrote:
11 Aug 2021
You know you're the only person on here complaining about the video? The amateur claim is funny coming from you. Your nitpicking isn't the general consensus, bub.
No he's not.

fullforce

11 Aug 2021

Billy+ wrote:
11 Aug 2021
This.

aeox
Competition Winner

11 Aug 2021

guitfnky wrote:
10 Aug 2021
I'm still in the same boat Ryan was before Mimic--sampling doesn't really interest me.
Same!

But recently I bought a Tascam sound recorder, so I should be able to have some fun with this :D

Billy+

11 Aug 2021

fullforce wrote:
11 Aug 2021
Billy+ wrote:
11 Aug 2021
This.
So you got two major releases for a single payment and you feel conned?

kcm0710

11 Aug 2021

Hello,

Apart from pitch and tempo detection being a request, it would be nice if the amp envelope could be displayed in the sample display like in Umpf, although in Umpf that may not be a amp envelope.
Attachments
Skärmavbild 2021-08-11 kl. 21.32.00.png
Amp enevlope
Skärmavbild 2021-08-11 kl. 21.32.00.png (73.43 KiB) Viewed 2742 times

Creativemind

11 Aug 2021

flexluthor wrote:
11 Aug 2021
This would have been pretty cool back when Reason 6 came out. Now though? Come one. No mod matrix. No key detect. Cant even load rex files. Just the typical lazy Reason Studios trash.
Reason 6? that would've been 2012, were samplers this advanced (and ok not super advanced in some respects) in 2012? now if you'd have said Reason 9 or 10 perhaps.
Last edited by Creativemind on 11 Aug 2021, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

11 Aug 2021

kcm0710 wrote:
11 Aug 2021
Hello,

Apart from pitch and tempo detection being a request, it would be nice if the amp envelope could be displayed in the sample display like in Umpf, although in Umpf that may not be a amp envelope.
+1 for that.

Would love a waveform display and ADSR added and the envelope to be in the waveform in ReDrum too.

PhillipOrdonez

11 Aug 2021

kcm0710 wrote:
11 Aug 2021
Hello,

That would be nice, yes.

dvdrtldg

11 Aug 2021

fullforce wrote:
11 Aug 2021

It's an insult really. But they did it again, conned me into buying their mediocre update.
Just wouldn't be a Reason new product thread without the "This thing doesn't happen to address my particular needs, so I'm going to take it personally" crew

Creativemind

11 Aug 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
11 Aug 2021
fullforce wrote:
11 Aug 2021

It's an insult really. But they did it again, conned me into buying their mediocre update.
Just wouldn't be a Reason new product thread without the "This thing doesn't happen to address my particular needs, so I'm going to take it personally" crew
Just wouldn't be a Reason product if they didn't leave loads of features out. :lol:

Creativemind

11 Aug 2021

Marc Swing wrote:
10 Aug 2021
Oh my bad, I now found how to "make the sample play in a one shot fashion" and "choke when trigger next sample"
Was just gonna post this about 1 shot, increase the release.

raymondh

11 Aug 2021

Being a retro guy I was hoping for more sculpting like analog filter models and DAC/transformer models etc. Any case, looks like an interesting and fun device!

• Information