Reason 12 TOMORROW!!!!!!!! Excitement level readings??????

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Reason 12’s out in 5 days

I’m excited
54%
I’m not excited
29%
I don’t care
17%

Total votes: 228
MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2021

Billy+ wrote:
26 Aug 2021
currently V12 is worth €$£0.00 to me.
Hahahahahahahahaha. You don't say.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Skimrok

26 Aug 2021

is that official 5 days it drops yeah I'm intrigued what 12 looks like :thumbup:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

Billy+

26 Aug 2021

MrFigg wrote:
26 Aug 2021
Billy+ wrote:
26 Aug 2021
currently V12 is worth €$£0.00 to me.
Hahahahahahahahaha. You don't say.
That's exactly what I'm saying, not one feature is on my wish list.
The only real interesting update is CMBv2, but again was never in my top 5.

I'm still holding out hope that they will do something that I will buy it for but even then I'm waiting to see what happens with the next few months with point releases etc, vst3 isn't being released until later will this be included for perpetuals?

I'm definitely going to watch what happens over the next few months :thumbs_up:

Social Exodus

26 Aug 2021

Billy+ wrote:
26 Aug 2021
QVprod wrote:
26 Aug 2021
I don’t think they’ll need to increase the price to make R+ more attractive. Only R11 suite owners have a lesser value when subscribing. If you’re one who cares about owning all of the RS racks, the current total of everything is about $1,603. Plus endless presets and the current Reason version included. If you’re one with the Pokémon “gotta catch em’ all” mindset, $20 a month sells itself as an incredible deal.

I think some forget this and compare buying just Reason outright to R+ and of course the math won’t add up if you do that.
I have purchased way more than that over the years.

The amount is minimal for subscription but if I started creating in V12 using sub and wanted to stop subscription for any reason I wouldn't be able to access the v12 projects without then buying a license so it doesn't matter how many ways I look at it subscription just isn't for me and if that truly means just not buying anything from RS then so be it (shame but it's the only real option)
This, exactly. I love using Reason for it's visual appeal in working, but I simply cannot abide a subscription model and since I rarely sample or combinate (new word!) stuff there's no draw to R12 perpetual either. I've bought a shit ton of REs over the years and have R11 Suite which will keep me busy until approximately 2031 anyway.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

QVprod

26 Aug 2021

Billy+ wrote:
26 Aug 2021
QVprod wrote:
26 Aug 2021
I don’t think they’ll need to increase the price to make R+ more attractive. Only R11 suite owners have a lesser value when subscribing. If you’re one who cares about owning all of the RS racks, the current total of everything is about $1,603. Plus endless presets and the current Reason version included. If you’re one with the Pokémon “gotta catch em’ all” mindset, $20 a month sells itself as an incredible deal.

I think some forget this and compare buying just Reason outright to R+ and of course the math won’t add up if you do that.
I have purchased way more than that over the years.

The amount is minimal for subscription but if I started creating in V12 using sub and wanted to stop subscription for any reason I wouldn't be able to access the v12 projects without then buying a license so it doesn't matter how many ways I look at it subscription just isn't for me and if that truly means just not buying anything from RS then so be it (shame but it's the only real option)

I'm actually sat playing with pandas new device and although I would normally have just purchased it I can't actually bring myself to invest until RS shows what's going to happen to people in my position.
By no means am I saying the subscription route is for everyone. I’m sure RS understands that hence the perpetual option still exists. If you’re concerned about having to stop paying for Reason then I think it’s clear the subscription isn’t your best option. Upgrade to 12 the normal way or stay on 11.

I don’t see how that affects you buying Lectric Panda’s new device. It’s not Reason 12 only

BumCuddle

26 Aug 2021

bxbrkrz wrote:
26 Aug 2021
Popcorn + game of thrones season 8

DaveyG

26 Aug 2021

avasopht wrote:
26 Aug 2021
There is a near 0% chance of them forcing people onto Reason+.
No, they won't force us. They will just gently herd us towards it by making the perpetual licence users feel like they are travelling second class. :D

plaamook

26 Aug 2021

Hard to feel excited about this one.
This whole release has been a garbled mess.
R+ people sitting in first class with all the new toys kinda dents the sense of cohesion.
Sub model giving many people the creeps
Lack of attention to the more pressing aspects of Reason.
We'll see what's in the actual release but at the mo I'm sitting this version out.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

owlymane

26 Aug 2021

plaamook wrote:
26 Aug 2021
This whole release has been a garbled mess.
R+ people sitting in first class with all the new toys kinda dents the sense of cohesion.
I totally agree with Plaamook.

Also to me, between the disastrous R+ announcement, the blurry high-res addition, the clumsy sampler and the poorly updated browser, it seems Reason keeps winning at disappointing me at every release since Reason 10.

Only thing I’m really excited about is the Combinator 2. Crossing fingers for it to be flexible and well designed in terms of knobs and parameters.

Arrant
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2021

I am somewhat excited.
Rack zoom has been my #1 wish for years but the implementation is disappointing and unless I can at least scale the rack window separetely the HD feature is nearly useless for me.
Browser search with its current speed I don’t really like, good in theory but it seems to slow my workflow down.

Mimic is a nice device which I dont’t mind adding to my arsenal, but it doesn’t get me super excited.

Combinator 2 I can’t talk about, it might be great but my worry is this: Combinator patches load slowly already, I guess patches for a bigger combinator will load even more slowly?
Yes, I am all about speed auditioning.

However we now know that VST3 support is coming which is probably the one thing that tips me over into upgrade land. And separate rack window zoom may be on the way as well. So if I’m going to upgrade later I might as well upgrade at release to get the new stuff earlier, right? It’s not going to be a lot cheaper down the road.

I oppose software subscriptions, so I guess I will be upgrading to R12 perpetual soonish.

moalla

26 Aug 2021

I‘m excited for the VST3 feature, wich shell come before Christmas. At all i would say, this update is okay, it brings the missing elements of 11 and two new features...
Yes i paid the 90€ sale price :D for the 12 update and i‘m happy, cause once upon a time, i got reason 8.32 including px7,monopoly,polysix,radical keys, polar, rotor in 2014 and paid since this time more then 1200€ for the best Rack Extensions of external distributors at sales, and i‘m really happy to have such a mess of synth monsters, eq‘s, compressors and fx stuff
Still using Reason10.4 R+ isn‘t interesting for me as sounddesigners and pure reason producer, cause it‘s to limitated in sound mangeling and real pro features!

Yeah and a more slowly loading pimped combinator is a bad prospect :cry: especial we will see how 12 will work on i7 notebooks and macs wich a lot of us users are still using for mobile tasks, for me okay i build up a 7litre 12core amd mini itx box, but for the most users, that‘s not the right way or functional.
Last edited by moalla on 26 Aug 2021, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

bxbrkrz

26 Aug 2021

BumCuddle wrote:
26 Aug 2021
bxbrkrz wrote:
26 Aug 2021
Popcorn + game of thrones season 8
I am watching the latest video from RS. Are the monitors Yamaha HS5s? If so, are they turned ON? Hard to see.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

gullum

26 Aug 2021

Billy+ wrote:
26 Aug 2021

I'm still holding out hope that they will do something that I will buy it for but even then I'm waiting to see what happens with the next few months with point releases etc, vst3 isn't being released until later will this be included for perpetuals?
They would need to add it for perpetuals or the future sale of perpetuals is out the window and 99% new perpetuals users are new users that would not be interested in a subscription. Buying a perpetuals in 3 - 4 months that would not include a full version just not going to work. At least I don't think so

fullforce

26 Aug 2021

helmutson wrote:
26 Aug 2021
gullum wrote:
26 Aug 2021
not excited but will upgrade the way I use Reason does not include lots of synths or CV stuff so combinator for me so far has only been a space holder for amps and FX for my guitars and bass patches not programmed for anything. Apart from hi res graphic there seams to be zero in this upgrade for me
Nearly the same here ... absolutely not exited. Even Hi-Res is only half baked ... so I don't like that too.
Yeah that's a big letdown. I was expecting real time zooming or somesuch.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

plaamook

26 Aug 2021

fullforce wrote:
26 Aug 2021
helmutson wrote:
26 Aug 2021

Nearly the same here ... absolutely not exited. Even Hi-Res is only half baked ... so I don't like that too.
Yeah that's a big letdown. I was expecting real time zooming or somesuch.
Zooming isn't one of their strong points...
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

dvdrtldg

26 Aug 2021

As a loyal Reason user since version 4, I don't feel excited. I feel offended, mocked, insulted, thrown under the bus. Over a decade of my money going to this company, and this is how they treat me?? I resent their high-handed attitude and their contempt for the little guy, the strugglers like me who at the end of the day are their bread and butter. Every time I launch Reason now, I feel like Mathias & Ryan are pissing in my face while laughing, ransacking my cupboard for valuables, and making a move on my girlfriend if I had one. The sense of moral injury and personal grievance has become so weighty that I can barely leave my mum's basement these days. Damn you, Reason Studios, for doing this to me. I was your friend, your pal, your bud. Damn you to HELL

Anyway yeah I'll probably upgrade
Last edited by dvdrtldg on 26 Aug 2021, edited 1 time in total.

guitfnky

26 Aug 2021

not at all, really. I used to be super excited about what they would do with hi res, but then we learned they don’t seem to have taken the opportunity to advance any of the other closely related things they could’ve improved upon along the way, so that’s super meh, at this point. Mimic doesn’t interest me whatsoever, and the new combi sounds promising, but not “I’m giving you $130 for this device that does stuff I can do in other DAWs already” promising. oh, and the faster browser. that’s probably cool for some, but I don’t have any problems with the browser in v11. four features. two of which aren’t features. GTFO*. 😂

still hopeful they’ll throw in some actual improvements, but I’m not holding my breath, so…*
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

stratatonic

26 Aug 2021

Not really excited, no, for Reason 12.

Browser. It may be somewhat faster, but it would be nice to see a waveform preview and a few other things.
Like, from this thread four years ago. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7503499
Grain and Mimic can both visually show a waveform - which is really handy - especially if there is empty space before and you are waiting waiting to see if this is the right file. So why not build this into the browser?!
I'm pretty sure every DAW by now has this. Pretty disappointing that not much has gone into the browser since it was introduced to great fanfare four versions ago.
Imo, for most, opening up Reason 12 and using the browser will be a very similar experience to their previous version.

Zoom. A huge Rack with an engorged transport bar (thanks for the laugh, JP :) ). This is a disappointment. Yet another Reason Compromise. Want a larger than life device in the Rack that's perfect for your needs? Awesome! Well, now your sequencer window is now half the horizontal size of your monitor with the browser open. Oh! Those grey bars are bigger too! Zoom - perfect for the RPP crowd though.

Sampler. I feel like this is yet another half-baked Reason offering. I don't understand the philosophy that Mattias brings up in his blog post: Instead of trying to design the most advanced sampler out there, we focused on making Mimic perfect for ideation—getting something fun and useful from a sample quickly. I mean, can you not be totally cutting edge and deep AND be perfect for ideation? And do RS design on 5k macs because visually Mimic is dreadful with its color scheme. The waveform and markers are virtually the same color and the background where the waveform should be darker for better contrast. Maybe I just need a mac monitor to appreciate the Mimic sample waveform window, but anyone who uses Night Shift or F.lux to adjust color temp will understand what I mean.

Combinator 2: Some folks will groove on designing backdrops in their favourite design program, and adding knobs and sliders to it. I'll likely create Combi stuff exactly as I did in the past. Here and there. It's useful, to be sure. In some ways it will be exactly the same, depending on the complexity, but the Combintaor will definitely LOOK way better.
There will be more Combi FX and Instruments created over time, but they have to be created first by users, so you may not see the impact v2 will have at Reason 12 launch. But it may be huge, depending on who is making the new Combi devices and if they charge money for them. You may even see a revival in the Reason community with the sharing of patches. But with a steady stream of Combinator FX and Instruments - some with VSTs inside - coming out constantly from the community over time, I wonder how will that bode for Reason+?

RS! Are there ANY workflow things coming??? Please. The list is long. Even a handful of useful things, markers, folders, show & hide tracks would be most welcome!

Aquila

26 Aug 2021

I want to get excited. I really do. Mimic looks incredible, and Combi V2 has the potential to change how I set up my rack once again and the hi-res rack is long overdue.

It's just... I dunno. As others have put it in other threads there's no hype. 3 new features are definitely something, but it still doesn't feel like it justifies a full version upgrade, even after remaining on V10. It feels like it's what V11 should have been, but somehow got delayed.

I guess that last point is mainly why I'm struggling to get excited.

Stamatz

26 Aug 2021

I am very excited. I'm on R11-Suite and also paid $3.00 for three months for Companion+.

When my subscription ends, I will updagrade to R12.

So at this point in time, I have the best of both worlds, can use R12 and Mimic, plus Algorithm and Friktion which I don't own plus get all the packs.

All this for three bucks is a steal plus I won't have to upgrade for about another 2 months...lol.

Can' t wait for the 9/1 and I hope they release another beta to Companion+ which showcases the Combi-V2 before the offical release.

Either or 9/1 is right around the corner.
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT,

pushedbutton

26 Aug 2021

looking forward to may 2022
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

loopeydoug

26 Aug 2021

I'm pretty darn excited. I've sat and watched a lot of stuff come along that I have no interest in- Blocks, VST integration, Beatmap(and countless other goofy toys), Hi-res, etc. Finally, MY squeaky wheel is getting the grease. I'm getting a new Combinator. Man, I hope they don't mess it up with the ol' Props Hamstring.

DaveyG

27 Aug 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
26 Aug 2021
I feel like Mathias & Ryan are pissing in my face while laughing.
Actually I think that's the next promo video they are planning.

dvdrtldg

27 Aug 2021

DaveyG wrote:
27 Aug 2021
dvdrtldg wrote:
26 Aug 2021
I feel like Mathias & Ryan are pissing in my face while laughing.
Actually I think that's the next promo video they are planning.
Bring it ON, I've never been more ready

Here's a question: do we know for sure that Mimic, Combi 2.0 and hi res are the only new things being offered in Reason 12? Have the R+ peeps got access to the full release version? Because if not, who can say for sure that Reason Studios aren't sitting on something cool that nobody knows about yet? I'm not saying it's likely, just that I don't know if it's out of the question

craste

27 Aug 2021

I really hope they pull something out the bag like markers or track folders and other ‘useful’ features.

I think most of us on here want better tools to create music faster and easier rather than ‘toys’.

So this is the first time I’ve not felt excited about a release and won’t upgrade.

Nowadays social media is so important, if I want to create house music and search for videos on YouTube it’s all Ableton, if I worked for Reason Studios. I’d create content or give a few free copies of Reason to the influencers on there.

Lucky Date’s even switched to Ableton now on YouTube.

If you want to get into music making you Google tutorials on YouTube and Reason has very little presence on there, RS are missing a trick by not having influencers using their product.
Last edited by craste on 27 Aug 2021, edited 1 time in total.

• Information