Reason 12 messed up all my custom Remote codecs

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
electrofux

01 Sep 2021

I have quite a few custom codecs for my Launchpad Pro/Mini, Livid Base, dedicated to different devices like Step Note Recorder, Thor etc. My Main Codec has 30k lines of code.
Apart from a few bugs they work nicely in Reason 11 suite.

In Reason 12 however they dont work anymore! It started with my Livid Base Codec for Mixfood Knock spitting out an error when i tried to install it. It had to do with the Drum slot that is currently selected in the Rack device and that should also show up as a red pad on my Livid Base. For some reason the codec didnt get the Drum Slot reported anymore and dropped an error, so i digged deep into this.

I found out for some reason Mixfood Knock reports different values back to the codec in Reason 12.
In Reason 12 it reports the values 17,29,40,52, for the first 4 slots when the corresponding remote item is scaled 0 to 127.
In Reason 11 it reports 13,25,38,51

And as far as i can tell this applies to any parameter that gets scaled 0 to 127 which applies to every parameter in any device that has less than 128 values! My codec for the Thor Sequencer has similar issues as does Step Note Recorder.

Have you guys changed anything with the scaling of the remote items?

That would be a huge issue to me at least. You have no idea how many hours i have spend writing down exact values of parameters.

electrofux

01 Sep 2021

It gets even worse:

EG the Mute Button in Mixfood Knock now reports a value of 32 when not pressed and 96 when pressed!
WTF! It used to be 0 and 127.

Nothing works anymore - this bricks any existing bidirectional comunication.

RetouchControl
RE Developer

01 Sep 2021

There were changes made to remote in version 11.3.9. From the change log:
  • Fixed a bug in Remote where controls scales incorrectly between control surfaces and Reason. Stepped controls mapped to knobs/faders and stepped outputs mapped to smooth displays were incorrectly scaled
However, this change seems to have broken a few things like you have discovered. Support acknowledged it's a bug but no timeline on a fix unfortunately.

electrofux

01 Sep 2021

RetouchControl wrote:
01 Sep 2021
  • Fixed a bug in Remote where controls scales incorrectly between control surfaces and Reason. Stepped controls mapped to knobs/faders and stepped outputs mapped to smooth displays were incorrectly scaled
However, this change seems to have broken a few things like you have discovered. Support acknowledged it's a bug but no timeline on a fix unfortunately.
Oh i havent seen that. Thx for pointing that out. At least it is acknowledged a bug. It just bricked pretty much everything on my end. My whole setup just stopped to work. Nothing lights up as it should. Getting errors all over the place.

Whenever i ask if a value on a button is bigger than 0 to light up a pad It doesnt work anymore (why the fuck do simple buttons now have on off values of 32 and 96?). And thats just one thing.
When i have 4 pads that switch the 4 modes of a Filter - doesnt work etc. etc.

And why dont they just revert that fix when the fix does more harm to existing codecs than the cure. I dont even know what the problem was they tried to fix. I mean i had some weird scalings from time to time but those could be fixed easily by hand.

Sad thing is that it was discovered in 11.3.9. and it isnt fixed in 12. They dont do stuff for Remote in years and then they want to fix some supposedly none issue and brick the whole thing? I dont know.

Now what should i do? Go into the 30k lines of spaghetti code and rescale a ton of values when it might or might not be changed anywhere soon? And then i have to do it again?

But i guess if you as a professional codec developer dont get any better information, i am fucked here anyways. At least i didnt deinstall my 11 version which still works. This is a sad thing really on a day where i should be trying out the new stuff.

electrofux

01 Sep 2021

Is there a link to the pre 11.3.9 version? i might be stuck with it for a while.

electrofux

02 Sep 2021

My current (working) version is 13.5 suite. I really need this version installed on my new Laptop soon.

Heigen5

02 Sep 2021

electrofux wrote:
02 Sep 2021
My current (working) version is 13.5 suite. I really need this version installed on my new Laptop soon.
Here they are - i.e. old versions. https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason/updates

electrofux

02 Sep 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
02 Sep 2021
electrofux wrote:
02 Sep 2021
Here they are - i.e. old versions. https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason/updates
Thx, but these are the non suite versions- I think i need the suite version. I found 13.4 though.

electrofux

02 Sep 2021

Man, sorry for ranting but i am really banging my head against the wall and need to vent. They didnt touch the internals of Remote for a decade on when alot of remote developers asked for functional changes and now they suddenly want to fix some wrong scaling to smooth something on displays and now everything gets scaled wrongly. They knew it and didnt revert it for R12.

dasmode

02 Sep 2021

https://www.reasonstudios.com/download/reason-lite1135
https://www.reasonstudios.com/download/reason-intro1135
https://www.reasonstudios.com/download/reason1135
https://www.reasonstudios.com/download/reason-suite1135

[quote=electrofux post_id=570559 time=1630575160 user_id=5726]
[/quote]

Version 13.5 will be released only after a couple of years.

electrofux

02 Sep 2021

lol, yeah. 11.35. Thx alot.

artotaku

02 Sep 2021

electrofux wrote:
01 Sep 2021
RetouchControl wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Now what should i do? Go into the 30k lines of spaghetti code and rescale a ton of values when it might or might not be changed anywhere soon? And then i have to do it again?
I can understand your anger but you can´t blame RS for your spaghetti code though ;-)
I haven´t checked my custom codecs yet. I had built a framework to easily configure Remote for MIDI controllers, let´s see what still works...

electrofux

02 Sep 2021

artotaku wrote:
02 Sep 2021
electrofux wrote:
01 Sep 2021

I can understand your anger but you can´t blame RS for your spaghetti code though ;-)
I haven´t checked my custom codecs yet. I had built a framework to easily configure Remote for MIDI controllers, let´s see what still works...
I think i can blame them for what is seemingly an acknowledged a bug and at least not reverting the thing in the next version (which is 12) until they have a proper fix! After 10 years of not touching Remote internals, they decide to fix a supposedly non issue (that existed for 10 years). I dont think it would be a problem to revert it for a couple of months more,

You can have fine code to cover every eventuality but programming different layouts of padcontrollers with colors and stuff and implementing very specific features for certain devices often relies on correct numbers. And if you work years over years with Buttons and Switches that send 0 and 127 and now send 32 and 96 i am not sure if i would have done anything different.

My code is a bit spaghetti but that also refers alot to the sheer size of the code because it has many complex features. My PSQ map alone is friggen huge and Step Note Recorder has hundreds of items. Translating Beatmap Coordinates to a two level 8x8 system was not easy aswell. Making Reason jump quantized to Song Sections in the arrangement view required a few lines of code aswell. I am eg saving the loopmarker settings for different song sections in a mixer device, so that i can recall them on a song by song basis which was very painful to implement.

I know it is a specific thing with me though but i assume other developers have issues here and there too.

But in the end it is a known issue and the situation at the moment is, that you dont know which values are right. So do i fix it know and then have to fix it again or wait and hope they find a solution?
What values are right for new additions? This is not at all satisfying. Especially if you know how (in)active they are on the remote side of things.

When you check you codecs, lookout for parameters that are stepped, items that are referenced as having values of 0-5 or 1-10 etc. If you map these to a rotary on your controller you might run into issues especially when you use remote.process midi for handling that and decide what action happens at which value.

Also what they should have done to fix whatever the problem was the last 10 years or so, is make the scaling definable in the remotemapfile between old and new and not messing around with the scaling absolutely.

RetouchControl
RE Developer

02 Sep 2021

electrofux wrote:
02 Sep 2021
Man, sorry for ranting but i am really banging my head against the wall and need to vent. They didnt touch the internals of Remote for a decade on when alot of remote developers asked for functional changes and now they suddenly want to fix some wrong scaling to smooth something on displays and now everything gets scaled wrongly. They knew it and didnt revert it for R12.
I would recommend you submit a ticket with support, in case you have not done so already. The squeaky wheel.....

electrofux

02 Sep 2021

RetouchControl wrote:
02 Sep 2021
electrofux wrote:
02 Sep 2021
I would recommend you submit a ticket with support, in case you have not done so already. The squeaky wheel.....
Already done. I had a calm neutral tone in it, so i decided to rather have a short rant here for my venting needs, lol. Its such a pain, i couldnt resist. I just finnished the BeatMap layout (super fun and usefull on the Launchpad) after a long programming session and started doing actual music instead of programming. And now everything is bricked out of nowhere.

Do you know what the actual issue was, they were trying to fix with differently scaled values? I am doing codecs for years now and i never stumbled over a real issue in that area. i have a whole Ipad as a Display for Vu meters text and stuff and everything is smooth and cool there.

electrofux

11 Sep 2021

At least Jengstroem in the Remote developer forum reacted to my post and advised me to send a report to a developer email. The support Ticket i sent earlier is being unanswered so far.

The bug they tried to solve in 11.39 was that some stepped remote items covered more ranges than they should. The irony is, i knew this for years and part of my problem is that i needed to circumvent this issue by painstakingly noting down the exact ranges and integrate these numbers into my codecs because their ranges were somehow unpredictable. And now they fix it (most of the time by tiny values) and my codecs go down the drain. If i remember correctly i even reported this somewhere years ago. So in the end i might even be the cause for this.

Though changing buttons from 0 and 127 to 32 and 96 is not at all a good fix tbh.

electrofux

08 Jan 2022

Ticket after Ticket (my current one is stil active), postings in the Dev Forum but nothing happened.

If they at least would revert the button behaviour to 0=off and 127=on instead of 32=off and 96=on (which doesnt make sense as a surprising change after how many years).

• Information