Reason 12 on win 7

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
reusenoise

03 Sep 2021

For many reasons I can't update to a new machine with Win10 untill the end of the year,someone can tell me if R12 work on Win 7?

dusan.cani

03 Sep 2021

They've left the support for Win 7. Unfortunately, Reason 12 doesn't work on Win 7 anymore.

reusenoise

03 Sep 2021

Ok,I Will stay on 11 for the next few months

reusenoise

03 Sep 2021

Ok,I Will stay on 11 for the next few months

ljekio

03 Sep 2021

This is the reason why I am not interested in the new Reason :)

Aosta

03 Sep 2021

Yes I'm still on win 7 the last great non bloatware and activity spying version
Tend the flame

avasopht
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2021

Aosta wrote:
03 Sep 2021
Yes I'm still on win 7 the last great non bloatware and activity spying version
Support for Windows 7 ended on January 14, 2020.

If you want to use the latest development tools from MICROSOFT, you have to use Windows 10.

Microsoft provided free upgrades from Windows 7 and 8 to Windows 10 in 2016 (even for people who had cracked versions).

I've had no issues with bloat or spying (I simply disable the ad-tracking).

Expecting developers to support a discontinued version of an OS is a big ask.

Billy+

03 Sep 2021

I managed to get an old windows 7 laptop upgraded to 10 officially for free fully licensed by performing an upgrade using the media tool and following the instructions here :- https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/softwar ... 0b6aa=True
using this tool :- https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

mbs

04 Sep 2021

no windows 7, huge bummer

Billy+

04 Sep 2021

mbs wrote:
04 Sep 2021
Free windows 10 upgrade work ok for me a couple of days ago :thumbs_up:

Read my previous post.

mbs

04 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
04 Sep 2021
mbs wrote:
04 Sep 2021
Free windows 10 upgrade work ok for me a couple of days ago :thumbs_up:

Read my previous post.
thanks but i had win10 for six month before, a huge pain. finally managed to install win7 on this win10 locked pc and im never using win10 again. nothing but crashes when using premiere pro for example, on win7 it just works. also the win10 looks are terrible, and then all the rumors on spying etc. win7 is the best os ever, so... no windows 7, huge bummer!

Billy+

04 Sep 2021

Well I can't say I blame you for not wanting to upgrade especially if you are happy with your current setup.

I actually moved to Mac because I couldn't stand vista 7 8 or 10 however as I didn't want to upgrade my Mac I dug up an old laptop and upgraded it for a test of R12. I can't stand the os but I'm only using it for the next few weeks and will be quite happy with sticking to R11 until R12 has something a bit more interesting.

SoundObjects

04 Sep 2021

I am using a workaround and is running win7 and win10 on the same PC.

By using 2 SSD disks with respectively win7 and win10 installed
and then using the bios(Asus) menu (F8) to chose which one to boot.

Then running old win7 and new win10 programs on the same PC. :-)
The Universe Is Vibrating

reusenoise

04 Sep 2021

Untill machine upgrade I downloaded FL20 ,I have an old account with lifetime licence update maybe from version 3 or 4 I realized Reason it's a Flintstones daw 😂😂😂

jam-s

04 Sep 2021

mbs wrote:
04 Sep 2021
thanks but i had win10 for six month before, a huge pain. finally managed to install win7 on this win10 locked pc and im never using win10 again. nothing but crashes when using premiere pro for example, on win7 it just works. also the win10 looks are terrible, and then all the rumors on spying etc. win7 is the best os ever, so... no windows 7, huge bummer!
It's OK to run Windows 7, but please don't connect that box to the internet (or even better any network), as it's only a matter of time until it will be doing harmful things to the net.

SoundObjects

05 Sep 2021

jam-s wrote:
04 Sep 2021

It's OK to run Windows 7, but please don't connect that box to the internet (or even better any network), as it's only a matter of time until it will be doing harmful things to the net.
If it's the security on win7 you refere to then I will add
that no online operating system is total secure - not even win10.
Thus no computer should be connected to a network because they
all can do harmfull things if they are eg. trojan infected. ;)

But it is actual possible to make win7 relative secure even now when it's not supported anymore.

No matter operating system I only connect to my DAWs to the net when I have to and
else use some of my other installations online.
The Universe Is Vibrating

jam-s

05 Sep 2021

SoundObjects wrote:
05 Sep 2021
jam-s wrote:
04 Sep 2021

If it's the security on win7 you refere to then I will add
that no online operating system is total secure - not even win10.
Thus no computer should be connected to a network because they
all can do harmfull things if they are eg. trojan infected. ;)

But it is actual possible to make win7 relative secure even now when it's not supported anymore.

No matter operating system I only connect to my DAWs to the net when I have to and
else use some of my other installations online.
Well, in a professional setting you can buy extended security support from Mircosoft for quite some $$$ or you could try to harden the OS with 3rd party tools, but the average user won't go to those extremes and as there are known severe security bugs in Win7 that wont get patched. It's just a leaking vessel drifting on the internet now. So either isolate it from the environment or take flak for being a douche.

aeox
Competition Winner

05 Sep 2021

ljekio wrote:
03 Sep 2021
This is the reason why I am not interested in the new Reason :)
W10 isn't really too bad.

At the same time... I support your choice to use W7 completely. I once was in your same position!

mbs

06 Sep 2021

definition of security is relative. personally will always feel a lot more secure with win7 than win10, and yes it is really up to the user if things are unsecure on the internet or not, and this is the case for any os... security is one of the most misused words in modern times in order to force people to "update" to their newest software and policies which may or may not be in your personal favor. shortly said i dont like to be forced to use specific software, certainly not when already tested it profoundly and found more stability issues etc. in other words if it aint broken dont fix it, thanks. and should i change os just to get a couple of more buttons in a combinator and pay $129 for that. probably not.

rootwheel

06 Sep 2021

dusan.cani wrote:
03 Sep 2021
They've left the support for Win 7. Unfortunately, Reason 12 doesn't work on Win 7 anymore.
Out of interest, what happens if you extract the files from the installer and put them in place manually on Windows 7; does Reason 12 exe fail to load?

I recently bought UJAM's Brute which wouldn't install on 10.11 (their website says they only support 10.13+) but once I manually extracted the files and put everything in place the VST runs like a dream on this older OS.

Perhaps Reason 12 will work in a similar fashion on Windows 7?

dasmode

06 Sep 2021

No. Reason 12 requires dynamic link libraries, which only appeared in Windows 8. This makes it impossible to run on Windows 7.

rootwheel

07 Sep 2021

dasmode wrote:
06 Sep 2021
No. Reason 12 requires dynamic link libraries, which only appeared in Windows 8. This makes it impossible to run on Windows 7.
Not sure what your source is, but Dynamic Link Libraries (or DLLs) have been in Windows since last century.

In fact I've previously 'hacked' unsupported applications to run on older versions of Windows by copying in newer DLLs to the same directory as the application EXE.

Would be interesting to know what error messages are shown when trying to run Reason12.exe from a Windows 7 machine and if there's a way around them...

avasopht
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2021

rootwheel wrote:
07 Sep 2021
dasmode wrote:
06 Sep 2021
Not sure what your source is, but Dynamic Link Libraries (or DLLs) have been in Windows since last century.

In fact I've previously 'hacked' unsupported applications to run on older versions of Windows by copying in newer DLLs to the same directory as the application EXE.

Would be interesting to know what error messages are shown when trying to run Reason12.exe from a Windows 7 machine and if there's a way around them...
He means that Reason is linked to DLLs that only appeared in Windows 8, not that DLLs only appeared in Windows 8.

I misread it the same way at first.

• Information