No Auto Save Feature? Lost 4 hours of my life! PISSED OFF!!!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MixerJaexx

03 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
03 Sep 2021
Sometimes ppl think it would be so easy to implement a simple feature, but in reality there is so much stuff to considere and even a simple auto-save can be a nightmare.
That’s also what I’m worried about; something gettin’ screwed up and making things not work right. Like high resolution; Reason 12’s crashed on me multiple times (lot of involving moving the window on screen). Reason 11 and prior didn’t do this. Reason 12 crashes once every 3 hours (or worst) compared to prior versions of Reason crashing once every two weeks (earlier versions crashed even less).

I’m down for Reason 12, I know they’ll fix these bugs… but I don’t want anymore of THIS being introduced.
Mixer Jaëxx
www.jaexx.com

GRB

03 Sep 2021

Auto-backup is a very good idea. I do an initial save with the song probable "title" and then subsequently Saves As... adding 01, 02, 03, etc... whenever I feel I did a major change it deserves to be remembered.

If the last change doesn't work I go back to the earliest version. BTW I agree that the FIRST thing you do is SAVE, you can loose power, get an unwanteed Windows Update or whatever.

Before knowing what ADSR means you need to know what CTRL+S is and use it :)
R12 12.2d36 / Reason+ / R11 Suite - Win10 64bit HP i7 - 32Gb RAM - SSD / Scarlett 2i4 / Novation Launchkey 61 MK3 / Nektar Impact LX61+ / JBL 305 MKII

EnochLight

03 Sep 2021

MrWeston wrote:
01 Sep 2021
I just worked on a project for 4 freaking hours today and Reason 12 has froze up causing me to have to kill it in task manager. I lost every single thing I did.
You learned a valuable lesson: save your projects regularly. You didn't think to check to see if Reason even had an auto-save feature before diving in for 4 hours? Are you new at computers and DAW's in general? :shock:

1 post and then gone for several days. Will be interested to see if you come back...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

plasticfractal

04 Sep 2021

I got burned by this a few times and now I just hit Ctrl-S every few minutes when working on a song because I'm paranoid. It's a reflex habit now.

Biolumin3sc3nt

04 Sep 2021

Looks like Dude bailed out and never to return again. Hit and Run forum posting

huggermugger

04 Sep 2021

selig wrote:
03 Sep 2021
Point of clarification:
There are two different but related features being discussed here; auto SAVE (which most probably don't really want because it would overwrite your existing file), and auto BACKUP (versions) which is what I've used in other DAWs and is SUPER useful - though you don't ever actually WANT to use it.
Exactly. ProTools autobackup, for example, has been a lifesaver for me on many an occasion. Unfortunately, Reason's monolithic approach to project files makes autobackup impractical.

selig
RE Developer

04 Sep 2021

huggermugger wrote:
04 Sep 2021
selig wrote:
03 Sep 2021
Point of clarification:
There are two different but related features being discussed here; auto SAVE (which most probably don't really want because it would overwrite your existing file), and auto BACKUP (versions) which is what I've used in other DAWs and is SUPER useful - though you don't ever actually WANT to use it.
Exactly. ProTools autobackup, for example, has been a lifesaver for me on many an occasion. Unfortunately, Reason's monolithic approach to project files makes autobackup impractical.
Not at all, you just need to add “versions” along with auto backup and it’s a win/win. ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Skimrok

04 Sep 2021

Been there myself mind you 4 hours i would of " saved as " around 3 hours ago , welcome to Reason learning curve
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

EnochLight

04 Sep 2021

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
04 Sep 2021
We get this a lot. Sometimes it's legit new users, and sometimes it's people we've banned previously coming back under new names. Hard to tell these days.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

huggermugger

04 Sep 2021

selig wrote:
04 Sep 2021
huggermugger wrote:
04 Sep 2021

Not at all, you just need to add “versions” along with auto backup and it’s a win/win. ;)
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Props to implement something so practical as that. ;)

EnochLight

04 Sep 2021

We've been asking for auto-backup for as long as Reason has been around, so I think it's pretty clear it 'aint happening by now. ;) But I've been saving regularly myself, versioning projects, ever since Reason 1.0, so it's not something I really think about these days. I've got auto-save on my Akai MPC and Force and I turned it off, because it's so damn intrusive (doesn't happen in the background, unfortunately).

joeyluck

04 Sep 2021

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
04 Sep 2021
Maybe forgot to save the password.

platzangst

04 Sep 2021

MrWeston wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Almost every single DAW I have used has an auto save feature because the use of VST plugins can be unstable at times.
Back in the day, this was one of the oft-cited rationales for not having VSTs in Reason in the first place. I'm certainly not complaining that we have VST support in Reason now, but it just demonstrates how everything that everybody says they want has its give and take. You get a little here, but you lose a little there.

david1806

04 Sep 2021

I just cannot imagine working for four hours without hitting ctl+s. Especially if you knew Reason didn't autosave...? But either way.....

I would just chalk it down to experience MrWeston - I bet you won't wait so long again to save your file!! Absolutely not trying to give you a hard time mate....but four hours!!?

:puf_smile: :thumbs_up:

jlgrimes

04 Sep 2021

selig wrote:
03 Sep 2021
Point of clarification:
Auto backup has saved me more than once. Reason doesn't really crash alot but power outages can affect anyone.

challism

04 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
04 Sep 2021
Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
04 Sep 2021
Maybe forgot to save the password.
OUCH! ha ha ha!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

dvdrtldg

05 Sep 2021

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
04 Sep 2021
Killer combo move, the classic Dummy Spit With Flounce

stillifegaijin

05 Sep 2021

It's very simple. Command + S. Save your own ass. Don't complain about, you know, computers. Learn how to use them. This is the most ridiculous complaint I've ever heard. Personal responsibility is an actual thing.

EnochLight

05 Sep 2021

stillifegaijin wrote:
05 Sep 2021
It's very simple. Command + S. Save your own ass. Don't complain about, you know, computers. Learn how to use them. This is the most ridiculous complaint I've ever heard. Personal responsibility is an actual thing.
^^ THIS ^^

But... an auto-save feature (with versions) would truly be useful, and in alignment with virtually every other DAW on the market. Just say'n... :thumbup:

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

05 Sep 2021

I’d appreciate an auto-save feature added to Reason. Could be optional for those who would dislike it. Logic implements it pretty well. Program crashes for whatever reason, reopen it and your project is intact, whether you had been working 4 hours or 4 minutes. The nature of OP’s work habits is irrelevant when considering the merit of the request IMO.

stillifegaijin

05 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
05 Sep 2021
stillifegaijin wrote:
05 Sep 2021
^^ THIS ^^

But... an auto-save feature (with versions) would truly be useful, and in alignment with virtually every other DAW on the market. Just say'n... :thumbup:
Personally I don't want those versions taking up space on my hard drive. I don't want the clutter. I want to save when I want to save. I want to revert when I want to revert. I don't need a baby-sitter. When was the last time you looked at a ProTools file folder? Gross.

Just saying...How hard is it to save? I actually have a job, using a different program where I have to do it all day everyday. Sure, auto-save might save my ass if I forget, but if it doesn't, it's not just about losing my art, it's about losing someone else's (and my own) income. Autosave is not reliable when something really matters. Even when it's an option, pressing the keys is a better options.

4 hours is a really long time to not save under any circumstances. Way too long to to "PISSED OFF!!!" at anyone but yourself.

stillifegaijin

05 Sep 2021

How about this? An auto-save function with versions that you could choose in preferences to enable or disable. I'd be totally down for that.

But I'm pretty sure, like with other programs, it still won't save everyone 100% of the time and we'll have people on here complaining because they did the coolest thing in the world, but didn't hit save and someone else is somehow to blame.

Marc64

05 Sep 2021

You should be pissed with yourself not saving for 4 hours. I save everytime I make something saveable :)
And I save a backup too.
It's just so lazy not pressing ctrl-s if you weren't caught up in the moment for 4 hours :P

Heater

05 Sep 2021

I'm on Mac and in all these years (from version 1.0) I've never had Reason crash.

DaveyG

05 Sep 2021

I think it's a troll thread. He logged in once, made one post and has not been back since.

• Information