The end of the Reason retail box?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
fieldframe
RE Developer

04 Sep 2021

It's been a few days now, and every music retailer I've checked only lists a download SKU for Reason 12, with no boxed versions in sight.

Granted, software boxes are more of a nostalgia item today, given that they haven't actually contained discs in years. Still, does this mean Reason 11 will be the last Reason box on my shelf?

Billy+

04 Sep 2021

fieldframe wrote:
04 Sep 2021
It's been a few days now, and every music retailer I've checked only lists a download SKU for Reason 12, with no boxed versions in sight.

Granted, software boxes are more of a nostalgia item today, given that they haven't actually contained discs in years. Still, does this mean Reason 11 will be the last Reason box on my shelf?
Yeah if I would have known that suite was a one time thing I would definitely have brought a boxed version.

jlgrimes

04 Sep 2021

fieldframe wrote:
04 Sep 2021

I guess now most people buy software direct from the creator. Probably alot cheaper for them + does Reason even fit on a DVD? Printed manuals are a plus though, and boxes probably make good promotion. I wonder how many people bought Reason just because of the box alone. (Probably more than I think.)

fieldframe
RE Developer

05 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
04 Sep 2021
If there are Boxed versions, they might be reserved for in-store purchase on the shelf.
I finally called the local Guitar Center to check, and the guy confirmed that they had not been shipped any boxed copies.

So I guess it really is the end of an era. No more green and orange boxes to decorate your home studio!

Faastwalker

05 Sep 2021

I’m trying to remember the last time I bought software that came in a box. Might have been 10-15 years or more ago!

Biolumin3sc3nt

05 Sep 2021

Well I guess I'm happy to have a mint boxed version of Suite 11. And yes, it was for the nostalgia.

helmutson

06 Sep 2021

I have each and every box from R 1.0 to all of the Reason Refills etc. and ReCycle/Rebirth . Very sad to hear ...

kitekrazy

06 Sep 2021

fieldframe wrote:
05 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
04 Sep 2021
If there are Boxed versions, they might be reserved for in-store purchase on the shelf.
I finally called the local Guitar Center to check, and the guy confirmed that they had not been shipped any boxed copies.

So I guess it really is the end of an era. No more green and orange boxes to decorate your home studio!
I haven't seen boxed copies of any software in a Guitar Center.

Nerveclinic

07 Sep 2021

helmutson wrote:
06 Sep 2021
I have each and every box from R 1.0 to all of the Reason Refills etc. and ReCycle/Rebirth . Very sad to hear ...
Am I a bad person if this made me laugh out loud?

Faastwalker

07 Sep 2021

Nerveclinic wrote:
07 Sep 2021
helmutson wrote:
06 Sep 2021
If that made you laugh then this might make him cry ……. When we moved to Australia from the UK in 2012 I threw all my boxes out :shock: I had a shelf full of software boxes lined up neatly like a book shelf. Gone! Squashed flat and into the recycling waste :D

Actually I’ve adopted a much more minimalist stance since moving here. It’s just more convenient. Most stuff has gone digital for me. Books, magazines, mail, movies, even music. I used to be an avid record collector. Only brought about 200 records with me. Had one Technics SL1210 left from my DJ set-up. Even that’s gone now and the 200 records are hidden away in a cupboard. There’s about 10,000 more records back home in my parents loft! But over here anything that can be digital is. To me the idea of buying software in a box these days it utterly fucking ludicrous! :? Hardware. Hardware comes in a box. Software. Software comes from the Internet :thumbs_up:

CaptainBlack

07 Sep 2021

No more stickers either. Still got ‘This machine builds baselines’ on my bass guitar.

helmutson

07 Sep 2021

Nerveclinic wrote:
07 Sep 2021
helmutson wrote:
06 Sep 2021
No, I know it's stupid somehow, but I can't throw them away. It's the same with record covers, even records itself, old mixtapes from the 80ies etc. - Nostalgia :redface:

• Information