Is it ok to Erase Reason 11...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jaeproduced

03 Sep 2021

Now that I've upgraded to Reason 12 can I now erase Reason 11 off of my computer completely and if so which files & folders do I need to erase so that I don't disrupt Reason 12?

Macbook Pro Mid 2012
Mojave 10.14.6
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB Ram DDR 3
Last edited by jaeproduced on 03 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

EnochLight

03 Sep 2021

jaeproduced wrote:
03 Sep 2021
Now that I've upgraded to Reason 12 can I now erase Reason 11 off of my computer completely and if so which files & folders do I need to erase so that I don't disrupt Reason 12?
Erase? You mean uninstall? I mean - you absolutely can - just don't delete your Preferences or Favorites. If you just uninstall, those should stay where they are so Reason 12 can read them. Alternatively, you can leave it installed side-by-side if you ever need to refer to it for something. Or are you low on disc space or something?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jaeproduced

03 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
03 Sep 2021
jaeproduced wrote:
03 Sep 2021
Erase? You mean uninstall? I mean - you absolutely can - just don't delete your Preferences or Favorites. If you just uninstall, those should stay where they are so Reason 12 can read them. Alternatively, you can leave it installed side-by-side if you ever need to refer to it for something. Or are you low on disc space or something?
Yes I need to free up internal hard drive space currently I'm running both I just installed Reason 12 and didn't touch reason 11 and I see NO need to have them both...

EnochLight

03 Sep 2021

jaeproduced wrote:
03 Sep 2021
Yes I need to free up internal hard drive space currently I'm running both I just installed Reason 12 and didn't touch reason 11 and I see NO need to have them both...
Then sure, uninstall it. No big deal. :thumbup:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jaeproduced

04 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
03 Sep 2021
jaeproduced wrote:
03 Sep 2021
Then sure, uninstall it. No big deal. :thumbup:
Just to make sure do I just go to my applications folder and drag & drop reason 11 icon in the trash?

EnochLight

04 Sep 2021

jaeproduced wrote:
04 Sep 2021
Just to make sure do I just go to my applications folder and drag & drop reason 11 icon in the trash?
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

Personally, I'd back up any Favorite files beforehand, though.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2021

I noticed the when I installed R11 then installed R12 the icons for all my songs turned generic, even when I saved a new song. This happened with my refill icons a while back and I had to install a 3rd party file manager to get them reassociated.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2021

Just a thought, maybe you should test R12 out briefly before you remove R11. A few people have reported issues/bugs. Some have even gone back to using R11 after a disappointing experience with R12.
But I don't know, I haven't tried R12 myself yet.

Arrant
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2021

Another thing to be aware of is that if you’re coming from R11 Suite, your prefs are stored in a different folder which R12 won’t read automatically. So make sure to move those over manually. I don’t think the uninstall will delete them, but better to be safe.

jaeproduced

04 Sep 2021

Well I uninstalled Reason 11 and Reason 12 is running slower & a little glitchy. I chopped up some samples in recycle and usually when I audition them in the browser they play back really quick but not anymore. They take a few seconds to play back. Even when I look to open a saved song it's like the reason icon on the side of the song has to catch up while strolling down the list. Very weird update I expect more point updates should be coming out next week to address all of these complaints I didn't pay $129 to go back to Reason 11 this is ridiculous...

EnochLight

04 Sep 2021

jaeproduced wrote:
04 Sep 2021
Well I uninstalled Reason 11 and Reason 12 is running slower & a little glitchy. I chopped up some samples in recycle and usually when I audition them in the browser they play back really quick but not anymore. They take a few seconds to play back. Even when I look to open a saved song it's like the reason icon on the side of the song has to catch up while strolling down the list. Very weird update I expect more point updates should be coming out next week to address all of these complaints I didn't pay $129 to go back to Reason 11 this is ridiculous...
You should probably contact RS and file an actual bug with support.

huggermugger

04 Sep 2021

The actual Application files are a few hundred MB each, not a huge amount. If you plan to go the deletion route, you should also check for the Factory Sound Banks. Each version installs its own, and a Factory Sound Bank pushes 3GB in size. On the Mac, they're in Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Soundbanks.

Personally, I preferred to keep R10 and R11 both installed, in case I needed to use Rewire (and in case R11 fucked up, like R12 is fucking up). I did delete the R10 Factory Sound Bank from my internal drive, but I made a copy of it first on another drive. It's easily copied back over whenever I need to boot R10.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 2.07.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 2.07.55 PM.png (526.04 KiB) Viewed 1164 times
Last edited by huggermugger on 04 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

david1806

04 Sep 2021

jaeproduced wrote:
04 Sep 2021
No! You should never uninstall any program that way, it'll more than likely leave all sorts of crap behind. Need to actually uninstall properly. I'm sure you've worked it out by now, just sticking my nose in...! Lol!! :-)

Hope it worked out OK... :thumbs_up:

jaeproduced

04 Sep 2021

huggermugger wrote:
04 Sep 2021
The actual Application files are a few hundred MB each, not a huge amount. If you plan to go the deletion route, you should also check for the Factory Sound Banks. Each version installs its own, and a Factory Sound Bank pushes 3GB in size. On the Mac, they're in Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Soundbanks.

Personally, I preferred to keep R10 and R11 both installed, in case I needed to use Rewire (and in case R11 fucked up, like R12 is fucking up). I did delete the R10 Factory Sound Bank from my internal drive, but I made a copy of it first on another drive. It's easily copied back over whenever I need to boot R10.
Cool Thanks...

jaeproduced

04 Sep 2021

david1806 wrote:
04 Sep 2021
jaeproduced wrote:
04 Sep 2021
No! You should never uninstall any program that way, it'll more than likely leave all sorts of crap behind. Need to actually uninstall properly. I'm sure you've worked it out by now, just sticking my nose in...! Lol!! :-)

Hope it worked out OK... :thumbs_up:
Ok what's the proper way to uninstall on a mac because every suggestion I get is to drag & drop the icon in the applications folder in the trash...

david1806

05 Sep 2021

jaeproduced wrote:
04 Sep 2021
Ok what's the proper way to uninstall on a mac because every suggestion I get is to drag & drop the icon in the applications folder in the trash...
Ah, apologies, I should've kept my nose out! I have no idea about using Macs! Although I'm guessing it is something similar? Or maybe it is that simple when using a Mac. Mac user anyone? I would be interested to know myself..... :puf_smile:

jaeproduced

07 Sep 2021

huggermugger wrote:
04 Sep 2021

What about erasing on a Mac in Music/Propellerhead Content/Optional Refill/Reason Drum Supply & Reason Loop Suppy also Optional Devices/Humana or Klang or Pangea or Radical Piano should I erase those folders also?

huggermugger

07 Sep 2021

jaeproduced wrote:
07 Sep 2021

What about erasing on a Mac in Music/Propellerhead Content/Optional Refill/Reason Drum Supply & Reason Loop Suppy also Optional Devices/Humana or Klang or Pangea or Radical Piano should I erase those folders also?
There is only one copy of those things on your Mac. So no, you shouldn't erase them.

• Information