What New Reason Device Would You Like To See?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

What New Reason Device Would You Like To See?

Poll ended at 28 Oct 2021

Alligator Update
2%
Brass Physical Modelling Synth
13%
De-Esser
1%
Dr.Octo.Rex Update
7%
ECF-42 Update
2%
EMI Update
1%
Exciter
2%
Modulator
2%
Multiband Compressor
7%
Multimeter
1%
ReDrum Update
8%
Scales and Chords Update
7%
Scream Update
7%
Spectrum EQ Update
10%
SubTractor Update
7%
The Echo Update
1%
Thor Update
7%
Transient Shaper
5%
Waveshaper
3%
Wavetable Synth (Serum Competitor)
4%
Vectorscope / Goniometer
2%

Total votes: 287
plaamook

20 Sep 2021

huggermugger wrote:
20 Sep 2021
Audiomatic updated with a decent range of parameter control.
What do you mean by that? More specifically.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Jackjackdaw

20 Sep 2021

Marc Swing wrote:
20 Sep 2021

Kong - "A lock the output settings" so it doesn't forget the routing when changing sounds
That has driven me crazy so many times 😭

huggermugger

20 Sep 2021

plaamook wrote:
20 Sep 2021
huggermugger wrote:
20 Sep 2021
Audiomatic updated with a decent range of parameter control.
Audiomatic has such limited control. 16 presets, a Transform dial (its unspecified function changes for each preset), Dry/Wet control, and Volume control, plus a Gain control on the input. I'd love to be able to edit some of those presets in more detail. Even just four "transform" dials dedicated to specific parameters in each Preset would be welcome.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 3.57.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 3.57.42 PM.png (262.09 KiB) Viewed 2273 times

Catblack

20 Sep 2021

I don't want any device updates. I want sequencer updates.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Lov2sing

20 Sep 2021

I would love them to create a guitar strummer in scales and chords. The RE that does it, is not that good IMHO.
I also would love a automatic drum trigger device that I can use some of the drum refills so I do not have to hand drum. Something like EZ drummer.
We make music for a reason

exxx

21 Sep 2021

Whatever it is they won't be able to afford such an update

huggermugger

21 Sep 2021

Lov2sing wrote:
20 Sep 2021
I would love them to create a guitar strummer in scales and chords. The RE that does it, is not that good IMHO.
I also would love a automatic drum trigger device that I can use some of the drum refills so I do not have to hand drum. Something like EZ drummer.
You can get decent strumming if you use NoteEcho. Be sure to turn off Chords on Scales&Chords.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 7.34.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 7.34.02 AM.png (241.26 KiB) Viewed 2211 times

sonicbyte

21 Sep 2021

NONE... just update the sequencer and improve performance

Carpainter

21 Sep 2021

The single most impactful change they could make is to add oversampling options to all of the old devices.

I'd also like a semi-modular Super Combinator with the ability to create instruments with oscillators, filters, envelopes, LFOs, etc. from every RS instrument you own. Anything deeper than that is probably out of the question, but that would add more depth to the Combinator without allowing people to build their own stuff from scratch within Reason.

Melody303

21 Sep 2021

A physically modelled piano to rival Pianoteq (Radical Piano is fine and all, but it doesn't even come close to the myriad of sounds and sound design options on Pianoteq.)

Among the options you offered in the poll, I opted for physically modelled brass.
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

Creativemind

21 Sep 2021

lowtom wrote:
18 Sep 2021
I would love to see some proper CV + Audio looper fx device with range going at least from 2 bars up to 1/128 steps, where we can loop, reverse, change buffer size, shuffle and transpose looped sequence - great for live performance and unexpected results.

Apart from totaly new device, I would love to see some updates to existing devices like Thor or Redrum. With Thor I would like to have Remote option for randomizing sequencer and for Redrum it would be nice to have option to fold it so only sequencer or only drum channels are visible.
When I watched a guy do an Acid Techno video earlier on a different thread here, a feature which I've wanted for ages for ReDrum occurred to me (and for Kong) - an auto-subgroup button which will automatically create channels for all the individual drums with a red fader master channel and all labelled. Track Templates would solve that though.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

21 Sep 2021

Arrant wrote:
18 Sep 2021
I can't believe you left out Malström update :shock:
Yeah and Audiomatic. 😉

Creativemind

21 Sep 2021

Oper-8 wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Yep, a brass modelling synth device, in the same vein (and with the same quality and ease of use) as Friktion would be dope indeed.
For Serum-ish stuff, isn't Europa already filling the gap ?
I suppose, to an extent but it isn't technically an actual solid wavetable synth (is it?). It's called a Spectral Morphing synth.

Oper-8

21 Sep 2021

Well, you do have wavetables in the oscillators list, that's why it's a kind of wavetable synth to me. I actually don't use Europa very often except for preset noodling, but if I were asked to do stuff with Serum (which I don't own), I'd instinctively think "Europa" right away. I'd say it's Reason's closest device to Serum.
Now, I vaguely remember I watched or read a tutorial about how to make your own wavetables, but that was a while ago, and I don't remember which Reason device was involved.
Sync music : Pond5 | Sound design : Vimeo | Ambient, Downtempo : Oper-8 | Shoegaze, Synthwave : Fake Luxury

plaamook

21 Sep 2021

huggermugger wrote:
20 Sep 2021
plaamook wrote:
20 Sep 2021

Audiomatic has such limited control. 16 presets, a Transform dial (its unspecified function changes for each preset), Dry/Wet control, and Volume control, plus a Gain control on the input. I'd love to be able to edit some of those presets in more detail. Even just four "transform" dials dedicated to specific parameters in each Preset would be welcome.
Ok yeah.
I used certain settings on that quite a bit and I agree, bit more nuance would be great. It looks like a joke but it's actually got quite a lot going on in this random sort of way.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

selig
RE Developer

21 Sep 2021

huggermugger wrote:
20 Sep 2021
This one would actually be possible to do on a technical level if the desire was there to do so.
But maybe better to build an ART II with these controls (and more) exposed, especially with the ability to use the underlying technology as a back end for Combinator 2 devices.
Selig Audio, LLC

Carpainter

21 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
21 Sep 2021
Oper-8 wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Yep, a brass modelling synth device, in the same vein (and with the same quality and ease of use) as Friktion would be dope indeed.
For Serum-ish stuff, isn't Europa already filling the gap ?
I suppose, to an extent but it isn't technically an actual solid wavetable synth (is it?). It's called a Spectral Morphing synth.
Spectral morphing is RS's fancy term for wavetable. With Malstrom, it was graintable.

pushedbutton

21 Sep 2021

Neptune.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

drun robots

21 Sep 2021

I would actually like to see a Physical Modelling FX, instead of an instrument, something like a convolution module feed by a physical modelling exciter, with audio input and some essential tweaking (eq, transient, input and output filters) - I've actually tried to do it myself with the RV7000 MKII but without the physical modelling exciter does not quite get where I wished.
drunkrobots.bandcamp.com

mcatalao
Competition Winner

21 Sep 2021

BRIGGS wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Billy+ wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Definitely wind / air

Brass (saxophone trumpet) wood (flute pipe) etc...

Friktion like but for wind :thumbs_up:
+1 :thumbs_up:
Allow me some little nitpicking, the Saxophone is not a brass, it's a woodwind, because the sound is produced with a wooden reed, and it has keys instead of valves. It is more related to the clarinet. The flute is also a woodwind for similar reasons (the sound is not produced as it would be on a brass instrument (where the sound is produced by one's lips vibrating pressured against the mouthpiece), and is produced by blowing in an angle against the head or joint of the flute - again the way you produce sound, is more important than the material itself).

Another interesting difference about brass instruments and woodwinds, is the fact that the tube is always straight in the woodwinds and the tube in most brass instruments is circular, and the valves close the tube in different sections. Flutes and woodwinds in general have a continuous tube without valves, which creates interesting harmonic effects, allow for alternate positions for different sounding notes because there's always air in the rest of the tube creating vibrations. So while the rest of the tube in a trumpet is completely closed, and its air does not vibrate, when you open a hole or a key in a woodwind there's always air vibrating and creating additional harmonics in the rest of the tube, though the air column that produces the tone is limited to the closed holes.

Although I agree, it would be nice to have something like this.

w1pl0c

21 Sep 2021

CV pattern utility, for like holding banks of CV shapes that you can draw and changing them on the fly. maybe like synchronus in a that you can overlay 3 cv per pattern. Also better free drawing tools for it.

joeyluck

21 Sep 2021

mcatalao wrote:
21 Sep 2021
BRIGGS wrote:
18 Sep 2021

+1 :thumbs_up:
Allow me some little nitpicking, the Saxophone is not a brass, it's a woodwind, because the sound is produced with a wooden reed, and it has keys instead of valves. It is more related to the clarinet. The flute is also a woodwind for similar reasons (the sound is not produced as it would be on a brass instrument (where the sound is produced by one's lips vibrating pressured against the mouthpiece), and is produced by blowing in an angle against the head or joint of the flute - again the way you produce sound, is more important than the material itself).

Another interesting difference about brass instruments and woodwinds, is the fact that the tube is always straight in the woodwinds and the tube in most brass instruments is circular, and the valves close the tube in different sections. Flutes and woodwinds in general have a continuous tube without valves, which creates interesting harmonic effects, allow for alternate positions for different sounding notes because there's always air in the rest of the tube creating vibrations. So while the rest of the tube in a trumpet is completely closed, and its air does not vibrate, when you open a hole or a key in a woodwind there's always air vibrating and creating additional harmonics in the rest of the tube, though the air column that produces the tone is limited to the closed holes.

Although I agree, it would be nice to have something like this.
Speaking of woodwinds/sax, Audio Modeling's Woodwinds v2 instruments are on sale for 35% off, with a free upgrade to v3 when they are released. https://audiomodeling.com Everything from them is insanely good. And v3 of woodwinds is in beta right now for anybody interested in joining.

huggermugger

21 Sep 2021

drun robots wrote:
21 Sep 2021
I would actually like to see a Physical Modelling FX, instead of an instrument, something like a convolution module feed by a physical modelling exciter, with audio input and some essential tweaking (eq, transient, input and output filters) - I've actually tried to do it myself with the RV7000 MKII but without the physical modelling exciter does not quite get where I wished.
I think you can do this with Resonans, and I KNOW you can do it with AAS Objeq, which is currently on sale at PiB for ten bucks. Unbelievable price.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... jeq-Delay-

huggermugger

21 Sep 2021

I dropped Audiomatic into a couple of tracks long ago, but the lack of editing frustrates me - there's inevitably something I want to tweak - so I've pretty much ignored it since discovering it.
selig wrote:
21 Sep 2021
huggermugger wrote:
20 Sep 2021
This one would actually be possible to do on a technical level if the desire was there to do so.
But maybe better to build an ART II with these controls (and more) exposed, especially with the ability to use the underlying technology as a back end for Combinator 2 devices.

• Information