R12: The new browser is broken

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Arrant
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2021

Still indexing 8 hours later. Some folders are now quite fast but still slower than R11 which is near instant. Other folders still want to scan contents. I tried moving into my biggest single folder with 64k samples in it and R12 scanned for over an hour, with no way to stop it.
Is it possible to just turn the search off altogether? I don’t need it.

Another small but important thing I noticed, my separate «back» button which is programmed into my mouse no longer works in the R12 browser. In R11 this button moves the browser a step back, usually up a folder level.
In R12 I have to move the pointer up to the top of the browser and click the «up» button. My mouse arm is hurting now.

dan_g

02 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
02 Sep 2021

New in Reason 12 is being able to search All Locations. Just select it in the browser:

All Locations.gif

All Locations includes anything you have in your sidebar. So be sure to add/remove things you care to search.
Ah thx for the heads-up. It's kinda hidden :D but I guess it's described somewhere in the manual.
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

bigguy1

04 Sep 2021

I kept my PC on for two days now with Reason running and still the search does not work fast. I collected a lot of stuff over the years, Maybe it is too much...

Heigen5

04 Sep 2021

I have a problem to see my latest combi saves when trying to load them. The browser doesn't see these files while the file-explorer does.
I closed Reason and opened it, I restarted my windows, but still can't see these files via a browser.

Edit: Well I know now why the combis were not seen. It seems that the in/out routing plugs were not plugged so that's why the effect browser didn't see these files. :mrgreen:

Arrant
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2021

bigguy1 wrote:
04 Sep 2021
I kept my PC on for two days now with Reason running and still the search does not work fast. I collected a lot of stuff over the years, Maybe it is too much...
Yeah same here. Two whole days indexing and my index file which I found in the local profile directory is around 260MB.
I have pretty much given up on this.

joeyluck

04 Sep 2021

I wonder if there is some other underlying issue or culprit here. Not to say it is the fault of your system and not a bug... But many of us don't experience these issues. So definitely stay on top of it and report it. Hopefully something can be figured out whether it's some setting or other on your system or something that Reason could handle differently.

Arrant
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
04 Sep 2021
I wonder if there is some other underlying issue or culprit here. Not to say it is the fault of your system and not a bug... But many of us don't experience these issues. So definitely stay on top of it and report it. Hopefully something can be figured out whether it's some setting or other on your system or something that Reason could handle differently.
Thanks, yeah maybe you’re right.
I’d be interested to know if there are people out there running Windows with a large-ish sample library who can get R12 to run as well as R11.

dan_g

17 Sep 2021

hm i have to come back to this thread. I'm having issues when searching with the new Browser. i thought by now all my locations must be indexed. but my search does not work at all sometimes, even when i select "current folder"

is there somewhere a file where i can check from change date and time if its still indexing my samples? or do i have to wait even longer? i have quite a few locations i must say.
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

honeyBadger

17 Sep 2021

I have an issue where if I drag a folder to my favorites it disappears from my favorites the next time I open reason 🤷🏻‍♂️

Arrant
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2021

dan_g wrote:
17 Sep 2021
hm i have to come back to this thread. I'm having issues when searching with the new Browser. i thought by now all my locations must be indexed. but my search does not work at all sometimes, even when i select "current folder"

is there somewhere a file where i can check from change date and time if its still indexing my samples? or do i have to wait even longer? i have quite a few locations i must say.
You can find the file on Windows if you go to you %appdata%-folder, then navigate up a level and into Local\Propellerhead Software\Reason. On Mac I have no idea as they were designed by aliens.
Look at the _ReasonIndex_v4.dat file. I've also seen other small files generated in this folder when indexing which disappear instantly but if you catch one you can see they contain folder names.
My index file is at 254 MB (267 million bytes), and it has stopped indexing long ago but my folders are far from done scanning so using R12 for me is as must fun as waiting in line at the covid test centre.
I suspect there is a cap at around 256 MB but that's just my theory.
I really really REALLY hope this is getting some attention down at RS HQ since this has completely broken the program.

bigguy1

18 Sep 2021

My __ReasonIndex_v4.dat ist 292 MB in size. Searching for me ist still slow - even in rather small folders...
But when I open Reason I can watch a file being created an deletetd again in this folder.

Arrant
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2021

bigguy1 wrote:
18 Sep 2021
My __ReasonIndex_v4.dat ist 292 MB in size. Searching for me ist still slow - even in rather small folders...
Okay there goes my 256MB cap theory :?

dan_g

19 Sep 2021

hm, thanks for the input. mine is 47mb in size. maybe i have to create a new location list with less locations first.

would be great to have some sort of indicator for the status. (mathias has mentioned something around here i think)

Oper-8

20 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
02 Sep 2021
New in Reason 12 is being able to search All Locations. Just select it in the browser:
By the way, it's a pity it doesn't search in all locations by default, though. It should either be the default value, or the user should be able to toggle it is the preferences.
Sync music : Pond5 | Sound design : Vimeo | Ambient, Downtempo : Oper-8 | Shoegaze, Synthwave : Fake Luxury

Ottostrom

28 Sep 2021

I really appreciate the new search function and have already put it to good use but the browser needs to be fixed!!
Going into folders take an eternity and then when you go back from that folder to your previous location it has to load that part again even tho you were just there?
And 75% of the time I search for something with "search all locations" Reason just freezes up and goes into "not responding" which takes a minute to clear up..
Didn't they say the new browser was gonna be blazing fast? Except for the new search function I only see downgrades.

AttenuationHz

28 Sep 2021

Have the same issues on Windows; Reason freezes when searching all locations it is unusable in that state. Searching All Locations by default would be crippling!
Last edited by AttenuationHz on 28 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

AttenuationHz

28 Sep 2021

What happens when you delete your .dat file and start indexing over from scratch? What even triggers indexing though?! I suspect that something might have been corrupt in the file because of interacting with Reason's browser before the indexing is complete. I've deleted mine here and am doing another search for kick and can see the file size is still increasing in explorer, 94.5mb just for "kick".
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

ProfessaKaos

28 Sep 2021

Arrant wrote:
04 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
04 Sep 2021
Thanks, yeah maybe you’re right.
I’d be interested to know if there are people out there running Windows with a large-ish sample library who can get R12 to run as well as R11.
I have these issues of slow browsing folders also, left Reason on over night and no improvement.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

AttenuationHz

28 Sep 2021

How much data has people with no issue's got in the list of files and locations in the browser?

Arrant
Competition Winner

29 Sep 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
28 Sep 2021
How much data has people with no issue's got in the list of files and locations in the browser?
I am wondering this as well.

Actually I just realized that my support ticket has been closed for three weeks, with a response saying basically that it's beeing looked at as a bug and that Reason should be able to handle the amount of files.
Good news I suppose, but it doesn't really help my upgrade or not by tomorrow decision.

dan_g

29 Sep 2021

i really hope there will be some sort of indicator to show what location has been fully indexed in the bugfix update

Majestik Monkey

29 Sep 2021

Arrant wrote:
01 Sep 2021
I made a short video to share my pain. This is just me trying to enjoy myself (and failing) pressing the down arrow in the PX7 browser pointing at one of the big PX7 refills.

Hi Arrant ' Just to let you know !

On my Machine PX7 ' will not Run at all , It Just freezes up on Screen , Making Reason impossible Run ' Unless i remove it . :puf_unhappy:

AttenuationHz

29 Sep 2021

Arrant wrote:
29 Sep 2021
AttenuationHz wrote:
28 Sep 2021
I am wondering this as well.

Actually I just realized that my support ticket has been closed for three weeks, with a response saying basically that it's beeing looked at as a bug and that Reason should be able to handle the amount of files.
Good news I suppose, but it doesn't really help my upgrade or not by tomorrow decision.
My entire sample collection is something like 600 to 700gb. I've removed all the large locations bar ReFills which is about 80gb and that's where I see it struggling (everything down the list opens quickly up until this folder were it falls back on the old search). If it wasn't a background process and on low priority threads there would be no issue. It would most likely never be able to index all that data the speed it gets capped at. :shock:

update: Browser is far more responsive for me after removing any large locations from the list, deleting the index file and re-indexing. Shouldn't have to remove them though.

Arrant
Competition Winner

29 Sep 2021

Majestik Monkey wrote:
29 Sep 2021
Hi Arrant ' Just to let you know !

On my Machine PX7 ' will not Run at all , It Just freezes up on Screen , Making Reason impossible Run ' Unless i remove it . :puf_unhappy:
Sorry to hear that, you should probably contact support.

Regarding the video, I can't recreate this behaviour in today's updated R12 version, so that part at least seems fixed :puf_smile:

fullforce

29 Sep 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Indexing is happening in the background and indexes what you've put in your locations (i.e. the browser side bar). Depending on what's there, this can take more or less time. While it's indexing we fall back to what we call "slow search", i.e. the regular old searching that doesn't use the new database we're currently indexing. The dialog you're seeing is the slow search, so not building the index but just showing you the folder contents

So, for best results: put the locations you want to search often in the browser sidebar (aka "your locations"), let Reason build the index (we're adding better visibility of this, it's not super obvious when this is done to the user now), and then search should be near instant.

If you still experience any sluggishness or weird behavior after a few hours (again it could be minutes, completely dependent on how big your index is, drive speed and what else you're doing—it's low priority threads), please contact support so we can look into it!

Hope that helps!
All you need is a freaking checksum. Checksum change? Re-index. No change? Don't re-index.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

• Information