R12 Mix Channel Remote Item Mapping to Combinator 2

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
artotaku

20 Nov 2021

I would really like to understand RS´ reasoning behind restricting the remote mappings on a Mix Channel to just the first 4 rotaries and 4 buttons of Combinator 2. I am genuinly interested.

If you have a MIDI controller that is appropriate for mapping to Reason´s main mixer that has quite some knobs per channel strip like e. g. Faderfox PC12/MX12 combination as one controller it is really inconvenient to be restricted to just 4 rotaries. There are situations where it is really good to have a combinator inside a mix channel that actually contains instruments that you want to control with the combinator buttons and have the easy mapping in the remotemap per mix channel.

I totally understand the removal of the rotaries and buttons from the UI and make it possible to put a C2 into a mix channel for better separation in the code base. And I know that they have added the delegation to the first 4 rotaries/buttons for the sake of compatibility after the first R12 release when they got the backlash from people using these.

But if you have added the remote mappings anyway why restrict it to the first 4 if C2 offers more? Is there any technical limitation, is it to keep the remotables under the awkward 127 max items due to ReCycle protocol (mix channel already has ~80 remotable items, so adding 32 rotaries and 32 buttons exceeds 127 items)?
But then why not just give us at least some more like 8 rotaries/buttons.

• Information