POLL: Did you spend more or less in 2021 (to Reason Studios)?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Did you spend more or less in 2021 vs 2020 (to Reason Studios)?

1 - I spent more
27%
2 - I spent less
69%
3 - I spent about the same (within 5-10 $/£/€)
4%

Total votes: 97
stratatonic

03 Jan 2022

EnochLight wrote:
03 Jan 2022
stratatonic wrote:
01 Jan 2022
So, Reason Talkers, did you spend more or less money in 2021, than in 2020, to Reason Studios?
Damn - I should have read the first post before answering the poll. Lol :lol: I don't think I bought more from Reason Studios, but I did buy a Traeger pellet smoker and PS5, which easily put me above my 2020 spending for "fun, frivolous stuff most of us don't really need". :thumbup:
I suspect that you really wanted ReasonTalkers to know that you are now the proud owner of a Traeger Pellet Smoker*.
Congratulations! :clap: (I revised the Poll question anyways :) )

*I had to Google that ... :lol:

Billy+

03 Jan 2022

EnochLight wrote:
03 Jan 2022
stratatonic wrote:
01 Jan 2022
So, Reason Talkers, did you spend more or less money in 2021, than in 2020, to Reason Studios?
Damn - I should have read the first post before answering the poll. Lol :lol: I don't think I bought more from Reason Studios, but I did buy a Traeger pellet smoker and PS5, which easily put me above my 2020 spending for "fun, frivolous stuff most of us don't really need". :thumbup:
I was considering a new Xbox console until I found out that I would need a subscription to play multi player and access certain features ;)

Mistro17

03 Jan 2022

EnochLight wrote:
03 Jan 2022
stratatonic wrote:
01 Jan 2022
I answered wrong too lol. I guess as soon as we read "spend" and "2021" it triggers the general GAS fix counting as a kneejerk reaction.

stratatonic

03 Jan 2022

altron wrote:
02 Jan 2022
Wow man, reading through the thread here it seems Reason musicians are either very poor or stingy [Mod redaction]. I spent at least over 500, 600 $ on REs alone this year, and that doesn't include purchased VSTs yet. In total I easily spent over $1000 on music software.
Not poor at all, but, yeah, I am stingy! :) when it comes to software. More so, because of some companies that charge us Canadians 40% more (RS) when the exchange rate is only 20-25% more. If I can't buy in US$, than I don't bother - unless it's heavily discounted. (It's funny, though, that I can buy Reason+ subscription in US dollars. I suspect it's just to make the price look better: $19.99 vs 28CAD monthly). Looks like RS changed from US pricing to CAD a couple of years back.
altron wrote:
02 Jan 2022
EDIT: Slight mis-estimation: spent $1605 on REs alone in 2021. :? Some of them, I regret having bought.
So, we'll put you down for 'more' in 2021. :)

nickb523
RE Developer

03 Jan 2022

Billy+ wrote:
03 Jan 2022

I was considering a new Xbox console until I found out that I would need a subscription to play multi player and access certain features ;)
Wait... what year is this? :lol:

That was a common moan 15 years or so ago. I recall all the Playstation fans tearing into Xbox owners for being stupid enough to pay for XBox Live but then Sony went and did the exact same thing. It's almost as if the industry was heading in that direction but only Microsoft had the bottle to go all in and take the first step. That's an eerily similar situation to a current shift in the DAW/Pro Audio market that regularly causes friction on this very board! ;)

Merry New Year! :)
Nick Baxter
SKP Sound Design

Billy+

03 Jan 2022

nickb523 wrote:
03 Jan 2022
Billy+ wrote:
03 Jan 2022

Wait... what year is this? :lol:

That was a common moan 15 years or so ago. I recall all the Playstation fans tearing into Xbox owners for being stupid enough to pay for XBox Live but then Sony went and did the exact same thing. It's almost as if the industry was heading in that direction but only Microsoft had the bottle to go all in and take the first step. That's an eerily similar situation to a current shift in the DAW/Pro Audio market that regularly causes friction on this very board! ;)

Merry New Year! :)
To be fair I have a PS3 somewhere that I haven't used in years and I never did update because of the extra costs and only recently looked at the new Xbox and read that you would have to pay extra so I've written it off as an expense kids toy, however I'm not against all subscription service for example with all the global supply issues of late I am considering getting my beer via subscription as it seems easier to buy in bulk and stock pile, the only downside is that when it comes to beer I've never been able to walk past the fridge without grabbing a cold one :lol:

Happy new year to you and all, really should drink to that shouldn't we?

kitekrazy

03 Jan 2022

Slightly less since I went in on R11 Suite. I got spooked and bought the R12 upgrade for $129. That will probably be my last version. I have plenty of DAWs and R13 at $199 is out of my price range to keep a current DAW. Live Suite upgrade is higher than that and no more Suite for me since I hardly use anything in it.

That R11 Suite was a killer deal and we probably wont ever see that again.

avasopht
Competition Winner

03 Jan 2022

Think I spent much more.

I got Selig colouring eq, an re synth and R12 as a gift.

Last year I probably only bought one or two smaller rack extensions

stratatonic

06 Jan 2022

avasopht wrote:
03 Jan 2022
Think I spent much more.

I got Selig colouring eq, an re synth and R12 as a gift.

Last year I probably only bought one or two smaller rack extensions
If you go to Account on RS site, and Orders, you can find out for sure... :)

motuscott wrote:
01 Jan 2022
What is it about our mammalian nature that drives us to buy buy buy?
insecurities, addiktions, FOMO, boredom, Media, Hollywood, MadisonAv, keeping up with the Joneses... We're a well conditioned bunch. It's what we're here for.

If you can teach fish to drive, can you get them to buy?
https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/01 ... ironments/

ShelLuser

07 Jan 2022

I ended up spending way less... In the year before I had nabbed an upgrade to Reason 10 (I was still on 6 at the time) which also included a free upgrade to Reason 11. Because I wanted to expand on Reason as well I also nabbed several rack extensions (basically all the new rack extentions from Reason Studios and some from 3rd parties) and I was happy.

Well, Reason 11 dropped ReWire and thus I had to drastically change my workflow (I always used the combo of Live + Reason). While the rack plugin did a nice job I still missed out on the extra sequencer, so I ended up buying into Maschine, followed by Komplete and one of NI's audio interfaces on top of that.

While I did nab the Bassline generator last year I didn't upgrade nor did I see anymore need to keep up with rack extensions; these days I'd rather have VST's so that I can easily use some plugins in both Live and Maschine (when used stand-alone; I normally use Maschine within Live as VST). So basically... most of my money went to Native Instruments last year.
--- :reason:

VIVIsect

07 Jan 2022

I didn't spend too much over the past year, with money being tighter and being at the point where I don't really need/want much else. I upgraded a Reason Intro license to Reason 11 for the free 12 upgrade. And I also managed to get Bassline Generator, Pattern Mutator, and Algoritm all for a total of $19, thanks to rewards. And I also finally bought Sequences at some point last year during a sale. Think that's pretty much it.

• Information