The effects in Reason that you didn’t even know existed!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
PhillipOrdonez

12 Feb 2022

These combinators are great, Ryan! Thanks a lot. I started a new track last night while trying them out! One of them I think it's going to get permanently included on my mixing toolbox for drum bus duties.

crimsonwarlock

12 Feb 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Feb 2022
One of them I think it's going to get permanently included on my mixing toolbox for drum bus duties.
Don't keep us hanging, which one is it :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Reached the breaking-point. CrimsonWarlock has left the forum.

Aosta

12 Feb 2022

But isn't the channel fader on the SSL a form of distortion if pushed over 0db not to mention the input gain....

Tend the flame

PhillipOrdonez

12 Feb 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
12 Feb 2022
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Feb 2022
One of them I think it's going to get permanently included on my mixing toolbox for drum bus duties.
Don't keep us hanging, which one is it :puf_bigsmile:
it is the one called "Complex shapes" ;)

jam-s

12 Feb 2022

Aosta wrote:
12 Feb 2022
But isn't the channel fader on the SSL a form of distortion if pushed over 0db not to mention the input gain....
No, unless you clip your output.

selig
RE Developer

12 Feb 2022

Aosta wrote:
12 Feb 2022
No, as you can increase levels over 700 dB above zero in a floating point audio system such as Reason. All you need to do is make sure you lower them to a 'legal' level below 0 dBFS before it hits the final outputs or is converted to a fixed point file format.
Since the SSL mixer in Reason doesn't model the available dynamic range of the original, at no point in normal operation would you distort the waveform by adding gain, which honestly is probably my number one favorite thing about working in digital vs analog systems. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

12 Feb 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Feb 2022
These combinators are great, Ryan! Thanks a lot. I started a new track last night while trying them out! One of them I think it's going to get permanently included on my mixing toolbox for drum bus duties.
That's awesome to hear!! When I was making these I thought to myself, "you know I might put some of these into regular use myself!" And here I was thinking I was just doing something for the community! :lol:

AstroDuck

15 Feb 2022

At the end of the video, he hints on something thats coming up. Can it be the new FX perhaps?

AnotherMathias

15 Feb 2022

AstroDuck wrote:
15 Feb 2022
At the end of the video, he hints on something thats coming up. Can it be the new FX perhaps?
Back at the introduction of the bass line generator player, there WAS a hint of something brewing. Something like a new take on a classic effect. I'm intrigued, what could it be? A shimmer reverb? A spring reverb? A BBD analog delay? What else hasn't been covered?

AstroDuck

15 Feb 2022

AnotherMathias wrote:
15 Feb 2022
ack at the introduction of the bass line generator player, there WAS a hint of something brewing. Something like a new take on a classic effect. I'm intrigued, what could it be? A shimmer reverb? A spring reverb? A BBD analog delay? What else hasn't been covered?
Shimmer/mod reverb would be awesome. You can create a BBD-style delay by adding overdrive and LP to Echo.
Spring reverb can be used for crazy purposes. that would make sense.
Granular echo/delay/pitch-shifter would be cool too. Some modern variant of what already exists.
My second guess would be a feedback distortion or multibandfx.

AnotherMathias

15 Feb 2022

AstroDuck wrote:
15 Feb 2022
AnotherMathias wrote:
15 Feb 2022
ack at the introduction of the bass line generator player, there WAS a hint of something brewing. Something like a new take on a classic effect. I'm intrigued, what could it be? A shimmer reverb? A spring reverb? A BBD analog delay? What else hasn't been covered?
Shimmer/mod reverb would be awesome. You can create a BBD-style delay by adding overdrive and LP to Echo.
Spring reverb can be used for crazy purposes. that would make sense.
Granular echo/delay/pitch-shifter would be cool too. Some modern variant of what already exists.
My second guess would be a feedback distortion or multibandfx.
Echo is very versatile, but there's some magic about a good BBD delay (or a good modeled one) that is it's own thing. Might be too specific to warrant a new device. I sometimes use impulse responses in RV7000 for that.
There are a ton of good spring reverb IRs we can use in RV7000 as well, as well as the algorithmic one, so maybe not that?

A distortion or multiband wouldn't thrill me much. I think I'm hoping the most for a shimmer, that's one thing you can't do with IRs.

Chi-Individual

15 Feb 2022

AnotherMathias wrote:
15 Feb 2022

A shimmer reverb? A spring reverb? A BBD analog delay? What else hasn't been covered?
I would love a new reverb with multiple setting. But with a shimmer reverb included in Proc Pianos and I think Scenic has a spring reverb that can be used as an FX I’m hoping for a new set of FX. Either mastering or just some serious overhauls of Echo, RV7K, Synchronous, Polar etc. A 5-7 band EQ with separate filters, saturation, and mid/side would be nice.

Steedus
Competition Winner

15 Feb 2022

He mentions something in the studio that is different as a hint of what's next ... Only thing I really noticed is he now has some kind of audio meter device underneath the 1176.

AnotherMathias

15 Feb 2022

Chi-Individual wrote:
15 Feb 2022
AnotherMathias wrote:
15 Feb 2022

A shimmer reverb? A spring reverb? A BBD analog delay? What else hasn't been covered?
I would love a new reverb with multiple setting. But with a shimmer reverb included in Proc Pianos and I think Scenic has a spring reverb that can be used as an FX I’m hoping for a new set of FX. Either mastering or just some serious overhauls of Echo, RV7K, Synchronous, Polar etc. A 5-7 band EQ with separate filters, saturation, and mid/side would be nice.
For us non-subscribers and non-suite owners may not have Scenic or Proc Pianos, so for us some repurposed FX from those might be welcome.
Updated old devices, like adding shimmer to RV7000, would also be welcome, but Reason almost never does that kind of thing!

AnotherMathias

15 Feb 2022

Steedus wrote:
15 Feb 2022
He mentions something in the studio that is different as a hint of what's next ... Only thing I really noticed is he now has some kind of audio meter device underneath the 1176.
That makes me extra intrigued. I guess a metering suite, with a proper big oscilloscope, a rack tuner, etc, would be very nice. But not really an FX device.

stephensmattlee

15 Feb 2022

Steedus wrote:
15 Feb 2022
Isn’t there an SP1200 to the left?

Steedus
Competition Winner

15 Feb 2022

stephensmattlee wrote:
15 Feb 2022
Steedus wrote:
15 Feb 2022
Isn’t there an SP1200 to the left?
Actually yeah I didn't know what that was so my brain didn't consider it haha.. he always had some kind of keyboard there.

deeplink
Competition Winner

15 Feb 2022

There's an SP-12 to the left, and a spectrum visualizer on the right - that's what's different as far as I can see.

Ryan's next video could be related to the new effect device, aimed for early 2022 "a modern take on this classic effect device".

Or it's simply a continuation of the exploration of the devices within Reason, e.g "All the ways to Sample Drums" or "9 Ways to EQ in Reason... you wouldn't believe No. 7!" :P
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Chi-Individual

16 Feb 2022

I posted in the YouTube comments about the spectrum analyzer and he confirmed that that was just a little extra for his own personal studio and not RS related. But I did notice the SP-12 but never made the connection.

• Information