Reason is rather quiet lately....

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Billy+

17 Mar 2022

joeyluck wrote:
14 Mar 2022
Billy+ wrote:
14 Mar 2022

lol

I'm definitely not paying £199 for a license or £20 for subscription just to access a beta,
I went with a suite license for Live 11 and that new entry level Mac Studio sure has me interested ;)
Well I don't know how they're handling acceptance at the moment, but I do know others not on R12 were accepted before. So technically it is a requirement because you need a R12 license for full access, but otherwise you can run the beta in demo mode. I guess I'm also assuming that most people concerned with updates to R12 are the ones on R12...
You're probably right that those who have purchased are the most invested in getting updates but ultimately they have already spent their money either on subscription in bulk or upgrade license.

I'm holding out until I can see something worth buying which isn't yet - as for beta access my understanding is that you must have R12 access via subscription or licensing but no doubt that could be worked out if RS wanted to.

supersmarter

18 Mar 2022

Ted Pikul wrote:
14 Mar 2022
They announced that they were developing a new delay RE, if I remember right. I expect that it will be out before long.
Can anyone comment more on that? Any screenshot? Or link or anything? I am not following any social media. I was under impression that they will release another Reason Studio RE this year but somehow (I can't remember why) I am or was under impression it will be Mastering tool or dynamic tools.

What's wrong with current delay anyway, it is plain awesome!

EnochLight

18 Mar 2022

supersmarter wrote:
18 Mar 2022
Ted Pikul wrote:
14 Mar 2022
They announced that they were developing a new delay RE, if I remember right. I expect that it will be out before long.
Can anyone comment more on that? Any screenshot? Or link or anything? I am not following any social media. I was under impression that they will release another Reason Studio RE this year but somehow (I can't remember why) I am or was under impression it will be Mastering tool or dynamic tools.

Yeah, I have no idea what Ted is talking about. The current delay - The Echo - is modeled on a classic Roland tape delay and it’s fantastic. Really have zero use for another “creative delay”. Not sure where he read that info.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

18 Mar 2022

supersmarter wrote:
18 Mar 2022
Ted Pikul wrote:
14 Mar 2022

The only thing mentioned about an effect was from the updated roadmap.

https://reasonstudios.com/blog/roadmap- ... t-officer/
New Device – (Effect)

Our next big device is a modern take on a classic effect, planned for early 2022. Co-founder and DSP guru Peter is locked away in the lab cooking up something amazing. We’re not quite ready to share more details yet but we think you’ll really like it!
There wasn't anything mentioned about a delay efffect that I have seen. Maybe somebody combined in their head the idea of a new effect along with the delay of new features? Lol

Arrant
Competition Winner

18 Mar 2022

joeyluck wrote:
18 Mar 2022
There wasn't anything mentioned about a delay efffect that I have seen. Maybe somebody combined in their head the idea of a new effect along with the delay of new features? Lol
They could just name it "Roadmap" :lol:

DaveyG

18 Mar 2022

Arrant wrote:
18 Mar 2022
joeyluck wrote:
18 Mar 2022
or RoadNap.

danc

18 Mar 2022

DaveyG wrote:
18 Mar 2022
Arrant wrote:
18 Mar 2022

or RoadNap.
I feel like it's a bit of a RoadNap across the industry... for example... the amount of new plugins (FX and synths) has fallen into an all time low. Maybe that's a good thing.. .we can now just get on with making music and not be distracted with shed loads of new stuff to play with. Plus our bank accounts appreciate the lack of GAS.
Check my Soundcloud:

kitekrazy

18 Mar 2022

npinero1 wrote:
14 Mar 2022
Am I crazy? or is Reason very quiet lately? hmmm
Why does it feel like they are preparing another update in terms of timing as we approach the end of March?

Is anyone's antennae going up given the lack of posting?
Nope. Developers don't always communicate on a regular basis. I did get an email to try the recent beta release.

pquenin

18 Mar 2022

I was hopping a new update every month because R12 is still unusable on my computer (hopefully R11 works like a charm).
We are now 7 months since the launch of R12 and it cannot be considered a finished product.
I still can't understand how we got there because Reason's strengths were its stability and efficiency.

Billy+

18 Mar 2022

pquenin wrote:
18 Mar 2022
I was hopping a new update every month because R12 is still unusable on my computer (hopefully R11 works like a charm).
We are now 7 months since the launch of R12 and it cannot be considered a finished product.
I still can't understand how we got there because Reason's strengths were its stability and efficiency.
To be fair - it was made very clear that R12 was not a "finished product" and that features would be added/released when ready. It's definitely unfortunate that it is taken much longer than planned and although more regular updates had been promoted it is fairly pointless releasing an update that doesn't actually achieve any improvements which they did acknowledge needed to happen. -it's the reason why I personally decided to watch and wait-

avasopht
Competition Winner

18 Mar 2022

pquenin wrote:
18 Mar 2022
R12 involved a MASSIVE change. Massive changes can easily bring up these sorts of problems.

Hoboys

18 Mar 2022

If I were working for RS, I'd be quiet too.
R12 is an un-usable pile of garbage. So much so that I had them refund it 7 months in. On top of all of the bugs, they also ruined the groove mixer design, but still didn't bother adding hotkey exposition for it, among a million other simple things they could have done. But they hired more people for damage control 6 months before hiring more developers and this alone should tell you everything you need to know.

I've checked the beta notes, and there are 0 things to be excited about. They won't even be fixing the most prominent workflow-killer bugs we've been banging on about since the release. And now on top of all this they want to add VST3 support...I mean... what could possibly go wrong?

Forget 12 and forget 13 too. At their current pace, a stable version is impossible until at least v14 and that's not an exaggeration.

Grab an 11 while it's still there. I highly recommend it.

Arrant
Competition Winner

19 Mar 2022

Billy+ wrote:
18 Mar 2022
To be fair - it was made very clear that R12 was not a "finished product" and that features would be added/released when ready.
Where do you get this from?
R12 was launched with HD graphics, Combinator 2, Mimic and a new browser, all of which were surely expected to function at launch?
There's nothing fair about the obvious lack of product testing that was done on this release.

avasopht
Competition Winner

19 Mar 2022

Arrant wrote:
19 Mar 2022
Billy+ wrote:
18 Mar 2022
To be fair - it was made very clear that R12 was not a "finished product" and that features would be added/released when ready.
Where do you get this from?
R12 was launched with HD graphics, Combinator 2, Mimic and a new browser, all of which were surely expected to function at launch?
There's nothing fair about the obvious lack of product testing that was done on this release.
A partially complete HD graphics implementation. Caching still is sketchy. UX has far too many obvious gaps. Initially, there were still lots of poorly rendered UI elements that hadn't been updated to HD. Lots of screenshots were posted on this forum about it. It broke key features by accident (such as reading SF2 files). Contained a massive bug leading to severe instabilities for some users (which are still being addressed).

stillifegaijin

19 Mar 2022

Hoboys wrote:
18 Mar 2022
If I were working for RS, I'd be quiet too.
R12 is an un-usable pile of garbage. So much so that I had them refund it 7 months in. On top of all of the bugs, they also ruined the groove mixer design, but still didn't bother adding hotkey exposition for it, among a million other simple things they could have done. But they hired more people for damage control 6 months before hiring more developers and this alone should tell you everything you need to know.

I've checked the beta notes, and there are 0 things to be excited about. They won't even be fixing the most prominent workflow-killer bugs we've been banging on about since the release. And now on top of all this they want to add VST3 support...I mean... what could possibly go wrong?

Forget 12 and forget 13 too. At their current pace, a stable version is impossible until at least v14 and that's not an exaggeration.

Grab an 11 while it's still there. I highly recommend it.
It's amazing that I've been using an "un-usable pile of garbage" everyday since it's release to write, record, mix, and put actual music out into the world. I had no idea. I think y'all need to back off the hyperbole a bit. Just go use another program already. I'm happy here.

DaveyG

19 Mar 2022

I was in the Beta programme and it was very, very clear that the software was nowhere near ready. Their problem was that they had announced the release date with a big fanfare so they had to stick to it, regardless of the state of the software. It's a real shame because rock solid reliability has always been a big feature of Reason.

But what surprises me most is that months later the software is still not sorted out.

crimsonwarlock

19 Mar 2022

stillifegaijin wrote:
19 Mar 2022
Hoboys wrote:
18 Mar 2022
R12 is an un-usable pile of garbage.
It's amazing that I've been using an "un-usable pile of garbage" everyday since it's release to write, record, mix, and put actual music out into the world. I had no idea. I think y'all need to back off the hyperbole a bit. Just go use another program already. I'm happy here.
This!
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

arnigretar

19 Mar 2022

stillifegaijin wrote:
19 Mar 2022
Yeah same here :-) I dunno. My workflow hasn't changed a lot since v1 -- but 22 years on Reason still feels exciting and everything works. I'm using both Mac and Windows. Reason 12 on both. All this and that --that Reason Studios SHOULD DO because it is 2022 or whatever. Have never felt it and have never needed sequencer improvements or stuff like that. I don't work in that way. And the sequencer works great. Hasn't bother me at all. All that said, of course it's a shame that some people are experiencing unstable Reason in their computers. Don't know why that is. I'm not a software technician, just a musician. My computers are not top of the line, but Reason 12 works here as a charm. Just don't know why people who want Reason sequencer to be like in THIS Daw or THAT Daw -- just don't use those Daw's and then for sake of it, use Reason as a plugin. Some may answer "it's because we love and care about Reason and we want it to improve". I totally understand people care about Reason. But I think Reason Studios did try to make it into an plugin for all DAW's so people who love workflows, sequencer stuff from other DAW's -- so actually those people, who care, could still use Reason. And also, to be on line with some comments here for a new delay. Why not. And if not-- a new effect of any kind. Always nice to have something added from Reason to the rack arsenal. :thumbup:
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

avasopht
Competition Winner

19 Mar 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
19 Mar 2022
stillifegaijin wrote:
19 Mar 2022

This!
Not for people who are suffering from critical bugs that cause it to malfunction.

OBVIOUSLY, if it's not crashing or unstable for you then, of course, it's usable. But it's irrefutably not usable for those suffering from critical bugs that cause crashes and instability.

crimsonwarlock

19 Mar 2022

avasopht wrote:
19 Mar 2022
Not for people who are suffering from critical bugs that cause it to malfunction.

OBVIOUSLY, if it's not crashing or unstable for you then, of course, it's usable. But it's irrefutably not usable for those suffering from critical bugs that cause crashes and instability.
The point made was that it is NOT an '"unusable pile of garbage". That statement was missing the exact nuance that you are now pointing at me.

I also think (that's why I said "This") that stillifegaijin was not talking about bugs that make it unusable for certain people (and that is precisely where the current RS development focus is aimed at), but more about the constant whining that Reason is missing features that somehow makes it unusable (which seems a BS argument to me). So I do agree with the sentiment that if Reason is missing certain features for you, go use something that does. I moved away from Reaper (after using it for more than a decade) because it was missing certain features that are important to me. I'm now using Reason because it does have those features. Do I miss certain features in Reason? Absolutely. Does make it an '"unusable pile of garbage"?..... you get where I'm getting at.

One of the R12 updates made it not only unusable on Windows, it simply wouldn't run anymore. This bug hit me hard because of my setup blocking switching back to R11 (that I still have installed) for my current projects. It is logical to expect that such a bug will be squashed, but also that it might take time. I didn't like it, but I didn't instantly decide that R12 is 'an "unusable pile of garbage".
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

plaamook

19 Mar 2022

arnigretar wrote:
19 Mar 2022
Just don't know why people who want Reason sequencer to be like in THIS Daw or THAT Daw -- just don't use those Daw's and then for sake of it, use Reason as a plugin. Some may answer "it's because we love and care about Reason and we want it to improve". I totally understand people care about Reason. But I think Reason Studios did try to make it into an plugin for all DAW's so people who love workflows, sequencer stuff from other DAW's -- so actually those people, who care, could still use Reason. And also, to be on line with some comments here for a new delay. Why not. And if not-- a new effect of any kind. Always nice to have something added from Reason to the rack arsenal. :thumbup:
If I could load VST's into the RRP I'd split for real and probably for good.
As it is I'm not about to start rebuilding years of patches in a new DAW because of Reason's archaic sequencer (who's work arounds I'm used to by now...).
So if you don't mind, I'm just gonna keep complaining about the sequencer! :lol:
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

arnigretar

19 Mar 2022

plaamook wrote:
19 Mar 2022
So if you don't mind, I'm just gonna keep complaining about the sequencer! :lol:
Don't mind at all :puf_smile:
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

Hoboys

19 Mar 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
19 Mar 2022

So I do agree with the sentiment that if Reason is missing certain features for you, go use something that does. I moved away from Reaper (after using it for more than a decade) because it was missing certain features that are important to me. I'm now using Reason because it does have those features. Do I miss certain features in Reason? Absolutely. Does make it an '"unusable pile of garbage"?..... you get where I'm getting at.

One of the R12 updates made it not only unusable on Windows, it simply wouldn't run anymore. This bug hit me hard because of my setup blocking switching back to R11 (that I still have installed) for my current projects. It is logical to expect that such a bug will be squashed, but also that it might take time. I didn't like it, but I didn't instantly decide that R12 is 'an "unusable pile of garbage".
That's really on me. I've elaborated on this in another thread. It's not about "features". When you reach a certain apm threshold r12 just crashes without saving progress, even without using VSTs. I've been able to replicate this at will. So TO ME it's an unusable pile of garbage, and I can't see how under their current trajectory there can be less bugs in their software.

Creativemind

19 Mar 2022

npinero1 wrote:
14 Mar 2022
Am I crazy? or is Reason very quiet lately?
Have you tried turning your speakers on or plugging your headphones in?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

EnochLight

19 Mar 2022

Hoboys wrote:
19 Mar 2022
When you reach a certain apm threshold r12 just crashes without saving progress, even without using VSTs.
What is an "apm threshold"? :question: :?:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information