Little help with setup. Hardware clipping issues

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ninjadog

14 Apr 2022

Finally getting my new studio up and running, but having issues clipping with the record out from my mixer. I have a Akai EIE pro 4x4 interface and a Numark DXM06 DJ mixer.
I have a turntable in ch1 of the mixer, and the output of the interface in ch2. Master out from mixer to speakers via RCA cables, and all is fine. I can hear both the turntable and whatever my computer is playing just fine at this point.

Then thought I'd get audio into Reason.

I have a record out on the mixer and I was attempting to plug it into a stereo pair of the inputs on the interface using RCA to XLR adapters. Right away harsh feedback and clipping. Red lights on the hardware, and in Reason a red bar hovering on the top of the "in" meter on the bottom of the rack, but on the big meter a value of around -68 dB on the VU scale.

I'm not sure at all, but guessing it's either a feedback loop, or on the DJ mixer output do I need the balanced 1/4" out instead of the RCA?

Stamatz

14 Apr 2022

I think you have to disable monitoring the channel in the sequencer by clicking on the speaker. That should elimiate your loopback/feedback. Give that a try.
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT,

jam-s

14 Apr 2022

It sure sounds like a feedback loop. If I got you right, you're feeding the output of the mixer (from its record output, which was meant for an external tape deck/recorder back in the day) back to one of its input channels, which obviously would create a loop for the audio signal.

Ninjadog

14 Apr 2022

Stamatz wrote:
14 Apr 2022
I think you have to disable monitoring the channel in the sequencer by clicking on the speaker. That should elimiate your loopback/feedback. Give that a try.
I don't see the speaker you speak of.

Ninjadog

14 Apr 2022

jam-s wrote:
14 Apr 2022
It sure sounds like a feedback loop. If I got you right, you're feeding the output of the mixer (from its record output, which was meant for an external tape deck/recorder back in the day) back to one of its input channels, which obviously would create a loop for the audio signal.
Similar but different... Output of interface > input of mixer. Mixer rec out > Input of interface.

jam-s

14 Apr 2022

So the loop is then most likely closed inside the PC (or if the Interface has zero delay monitoring in the interface).
You can stop the feedback when you disable the audio output of reason while recording, I suppose.

• Information