Fix bad bass tone from old multi-track tape

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
boomer

14 May 2022

I have some old bass tracks recorded on tape that I need to add articulation to. The playing was great but the tone is mushy. The bass is alone on its own track and I’m looking for something to run it through to give it some articulation.

Anyone have any suggestions?

huggermugger

14 May 2022

You might experiment with an aural exciter. It's designed to add harmonic distortion to the higher frequencies of your original sound (in your case, hopefully, articulation sounds). Here's a link to more information and several exciters.

https://integraudio.com/best-exciter-plugins/

Another thing to check out is an expander, the 'opposite' of a compressor. Depending on the current dynamic range of your bass recordings, an expander might help amplify the attack portion of notes and de-amplify spaces between notes, thus increasing the sense of articulation.

A third option would be a dynamic EQ with ratios smaller than 1. This can be used to create frequency-specific expansion, which could help to emphasize the sounds of articulation in your bass parts. TDR Nova is a FREE Dynamic EQ that can do this. (and I'm only guessing, but I'd probably begin in the range of 500Hz - 1KHz for those articulation sounds).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 6.24.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 6.24.53 PM.png (316.08 KiB) Viewed 701 times

gribbly

19 May 2022

Could also try adding some light distortion (with Scream or similar)... that can add some nice top end to a bassline.

Another thing might be to use the "sidechain the kickdrum" trick to have the bass duck every time the kick hits. That can make a muddy bassline sound a bit clearer too.
Reason 12 | Win 11 | gribbly.org | https://spoti.fi/39m1izC

michael.jaye

19 May 2022

Maybe also a add a touch of a Transient Designer. Cut a little sustain and reduce some mud and add a little attack to emphasize the notes more.

selig
RE Developer

19 May 2022

Depending on the sound of the recording, there are countless options for adding “articulation” (depending on what you mean by that). Best way to get the most helpful replies would be (IMO) to post a snippet of the existing bass along with an example of a song with a more desirable bass tone.
Or as I like to say, we can talk about it all day or just play an audio example. ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 May 2022

boomer wrote:
14 May 2022
I have some old bass tracks recorded on tape that I need to add articulation to. The playing was great but the tone is mushy. The bass is alone on its own track and I’m looking for something to run it through to give it some articulation.

A lot of the old 4-track recordings I’ve got from back in the day are played well but sound crap so I just plug in my bass and play and record them again the way I want them.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mimidancer

24 May 2022

boomer wrote:
14 May 2022

Can you play the track you wish to fix? I love to mess with sound but I need to hear it. Also since it is a multitrack recording, would it not be possible to turn off that bass track and play it over?

• Information