Reason 12 UI not rendering on Mac OS Monterey

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Gravitat

05 Sep 2022

Hi all, I'm running into a really strange and frustrating rendering issue on my Mac, and I'm curious if anyone has seen this or has any troubleshooting ideas. Reason 12 was working just fine a few days ago and has suddenly stopped working.

When I launch Reason I get a blank login window except for the username and password field and I cannot log in. But if I drag the login window to my second monitor it suddenly renders and I can log in, but then I get a blank gray window for a project window. Again, if I drag it to my second monitor it renders, but I cannot drag UI elements like resizing the panes, or dragging audio files into the timeline. The settings UI doesn't fully render either apart from a few random UI elements.

What I have tried, without any success:
Restarting
Restarting without my second monitor
Changing whether my MacBook Pro or the external monitor are the primary display.
Clearing Reason cache from ~/Library/Caches/Reason

I have also tried a clean install of reason by deleting:
/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software
~/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software
~/Library/Application Support/se.propellerheads.reason
~/Library/Caches/Reason
~/Library/Caches/se.propellerheads.reason
in addition to deleting the application itself

Unfortunately the issue still persists after a fresh installation. I am on Reason 12.2.7.

No other apps are displaying this sort of issue - it is isolated to Reason.

Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 4.26.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 4.26.29 PM.png (523.11 KiB) Viewed 929 times
Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 4.27.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 4.27.06 PM.png (788.89 KiB) Viewed 929 times
Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 4.27.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 4.27.02 PM.png (825.8 KiB) Viewed 929 times

Re8et
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2022

Was it working before you connected a second monitor??
Had you done the lastest automatic system update?
Have you run health check test on all your HD?
Have you tried delete the Reason cache folder already?

I no issues on m1 Monterey 8gb. 1080p.

Gravitat

06 Sep 2022

Thanks for your reply
Re8et wrote:
06 Sep 2022
Was it working before you connected a second monitor??
Yes, was working before and after adding a second monitor, up until a few days ago. Behaves the same even with the external monitor disconnected unfortunately.
Had you done the lastest automatic system update?
Yes, latest. Monterey 12.5.1
Have you run health check test on all your HD?
Yes, SMART is Verified on my SSD - no problems reported.
Have you tried delete the Reason cache folder already?
Yes, I listed all the folders I deleted in my post, including Cache.

Gravitat

06 Sep 2022

I also tried Safe Boot mode but no luck. I contacted Reason Studios, but I will probably just have to reinstall Mac OS and see if that helps.

marcuswitt

06 Sep 2022

Gravitat wrote:
06 Sep 2022
I also tried Safe Boot mode but no luck. I contacted Reason Studios, but I will probably just have to reinstall Mac OS and see if that helps.
Have you tried to reset your Mac's Parameter RAM / NVRAM?
  • Switch your Mac off.
    Wait for about 10 seconds to switch it on again.
    Right after switching it on, press and hold key command <cmd> + <alt> + <r> + <p>.
    Hold that key command as long as it takes the Mac to reboot three times in a row.
    After the 3rd reboot release the keys and let the Mac boot up as usual.
Also refer to this for more details: https://www.macworld.com/article/224955 ... d-smc.html

That might help.

Good luck and Cheers!

Fusion

06 Sep 2022

What Macbook are you running? I have had Ui Glitches since installing. Seems to mostly effect the Preferences window , where it sometimes goes blurry almost like its dropped down the no Retina graphics. Also recently the loading project dialog is grey. There has been other little things , I cannot remember but luckily it does not interfere with my workflow.

In windows 10 on the same system I got worse performance which made it unusable, the entire window would not render properly.

I have a MacBook Pro 2015 i7 integrated Intel Graphics and running Mojave.

Fusion

06 Sep 2022

You could try to right click Reason in the Applications folder and then select "Open in Low Resolution"

Might be a temp fix so you can still use reason.

MuttReason

06 Sep 2022

Gravitat wrote:
05 Sep 2022
Hi all, I'm running into a really strange and frustrating rendering issue on my Mac, and I'm curious if anyone has seen this or has any troubleshooting ideas. Reason 12 was working just fine a few days ago and has suddenly stopped working.
Is this Intel Mac or M1? I’m running Monterey on 2018 Intel MacBook Pro using second monitor over Thunderbolt 3 and haven’t seen anything like this. I’m wondering if this could be linked to running Reason under Rosetta.

Either way, have you raised a support ticket with RS? Worth doing so if you haven’t, they are usually responsive… and they also need to know about stuff like this.

Gravitat

09 Sep 2022

marcuswitt wrote:
06 Sep 2022
Gravitat wrote:
06 Sep 2022
Have you tried to reset your Mac's Parameter RAM / NVRAM?
  • Switch your Mac off.
    Wait for about 10 seconds to switch it on again.
    Right after switching it on, press and hold key command <cmd> + <alt> + <r> + <p>.
    Hold that key command as long as it takes the Mac to reboot three times in a row.
    After the 3rd reboot release the keys and let the Mac boot up as usual.
Also refer to this for more details: https://www.macworld.com/article/224955 ... d-smc.html

That might help.

Good luck and Cheers!
This occurred to me, but apparently Apple Silicon/M1 resets it on every boot. This only applies to Intel macs (not me). Good thought though!

Gravitat

09 Sep 2022

Fusion wrote:
06 Sep 2022
You could try to right click Reason in the Applications folder and then select "Open in Low Resolution"

Might be a temp fix so you can still use reason.
Unfortunately I don't have this option in my right-click menu or Get Info screen.

Gravitat

09 Sep 2022

Fusion wrote:
06 Sep 2022
What Macbook are you running? I have had Ui Glitches since installing. Seems to mostly effect the Preferences window , where it sometimes goes blurry almost like its dropped down the no Retina graphics. Also recently the loading project dialog is grey. There has been other little things , I cannot remember but luckily it does not interfere with my workflow.

In windows 10 on the same system I got worse performance which made it unusable, the entire window would not render properly.

I have a MacBook Pro 2015 i7 integrated Intel Graphics and running Mojave.
MuttReason wrote:
06 Sep 2022

Is this Intel Mac or M1? I’m running Monterey on 2018 Intel MacBook Pro using second monitor over Thunderbolt 3 and haven’t seen anything like this. I’m wondering if this could be linked to running Reason under Rosetta.

Either way, have you raised a support ticket with RS? Worth doing so if you haven’t, they are usually responsive… and they also need to know about stuff like this.
Running an M1 MacBook Pro (2021). I do have a ticket open with RS - it's been forwarded to RS R&D. 🤞

Gravitat

09 Sep 2022

Just wanted to follow up here for anyone tracking or searching this - I did eventualy find a workaround, which was to run Reason with my MacBook Pro's lid closed.

I'm running an ultrawide 32:9 monitor (Samsung CRG9) and feel like the less common resolution has something to do with it (5120x1440). I can at least work now this way, but Reason no longer works on my built-in screen or while the laptop is open. Very bizarre. Hoping RS can swoop in with a fix at some point - I'm not much in the mood to reformat!

• Information