Playhead question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
curtisunit

30 Apr 2023

Hallo,

One thing I miss from having worked in Ableton is the ease of undo /retake. Maybe I’m missing a function to help with this. I’ll explain.
Say I’m working on a midi passage that I’m having trouble with. In reason if I mess up I have to use rewind transport button to go back to starting / punch in measure. Then I have to centre the playhead on the downbeat of the measure. Then I can re record the passage.
In contrast, when I’m in ableton in the arrangement window I can drag down over a specific area in the arrangement to select. If I blow it I undo and re record. It goes straight to the top of the first measure of the selected area with no fussing. This makes it easy to stay in the moment when building arrangements on the fly and is lightning fast.
Can this be had in reason?
Thank you kindly.

curtisunit

30 Apr 2023

I’ve been reading here. I think it’s referred to as timeline based playhead behaviour options.
It doesn’t look like reason does that.

huggermugger

30 Apr 2023

Two things, in case you don't know...

1. You can activate 'Return to Last Position' in Preferences.
Screen Shot 2023-04-30 at 8.20.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-30 at 8.20.58 PM.png (44.5 KiB) Viewed 1578 times

2. If you set the L loop point to your desired In point, typing "1" on the numeric keypad will take you there anytime.

curtisunit

01 May 2023

That’s it! That’s the ticket right there. Thanks a million🎖. I KNEW i had to be missing something.

selig
RE Developer

02 May 2023

I recently took it even further in Reason and via an Elgato StreamDeck I programmed a “DO OVER” button. It automates stopping, hitting undo, rewinding, and going back into record all with the press of a single button. Talk about speeding up workflow, especially if it takes you (me) multiple attempts to get a part even close to ‘right’. ;)
I’ve been dreaming about (and requesting) such a feature for a long time, nice to finally have it at my fingertips.
Selig Audio, LLC

dan_g

02 May 2023

selig wrote:
02 May 2023
I recently took it even further in Reason and via an Elgato StreamDeck I programmed a “DO OVER” button. It automates stopping, hitting undo, rewinding, and going back into record all with the press of a single button. Talk about speeding up workflow, especially if it takes you (me) multiple attempts to get a part even close to ‘right’. ;)
I’ve been dreaming about (and requesting) such a feature for a long time, nice to finally have it at my fingertips.
nice idea. i believe this could also be done with autohotkey.

i will try to add this to my personal ahk script.

br,
Daniel
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

Mikasa23

06 Jul 2023

You can consider using keyboard shortcuts to navigate and edit your recordings more quickly.
io games

EnochLight

08 Jul 2023

selig wrote:
08 Jul 2023
The point has already been made that you can do exactly this workflow in Reason by changing the prefs as Huggermugger already mentioned. You can also rewind to the last start point or use Huggermuggers other suggestion to use the left loop marker as a locator with the “1” key.
So you mess up, hit stop, hit record to start over (or hit undo first) - what could be easier (beside my “do over” automation suggestion earlier)?
I'm getting a very ChatGPT-bot vibe from this post (and the other 2 that's been made on this account). I've reached out to them to verify that they're human, so... stay tuned! :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

selig
RE Developer

08 Jul 2023

EnochLight wrote:
08 Jul 2023
selig wrote:
08 Jul 2023
The point has already been made that you can do exactly this workflow in Reason by changing the prefs as Huggermugger already mentioned. You can also rewind to the last start point or use Huggermuggers other suggestion to use the left loop marker as a locator with the “1” key.
So you mess up, hit stop, hit record to start over (or hit undo first) - what could be easier (beside my “do over” automation suggestion earlier)?
I'm getting a very ChatGPT-bot vibe from this post (and the other 2 that's been made on this account). I've reached out to them to verify that they're human, so... stay tuned! :lol:
Well we don’t have many Reason users posting from Pakistan, so it’s interesting on any level! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information