MIDI Out from 1 Plugin to another Reason instrument

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
npinero1

31 May 2023

I think that this is not possible, but is there a way to route the MIDI out of Scaler or any of the Toontrack EZ plugins (i.e. Drummer, Keys, Bass), into other Reason devices?

I have the Chord players but I prefer the Scaler and Toontrack editor in the beginning of the writing process. I know I can transfer MIDI files but auditioning chord progressions is not as intuitive.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

aquil

31 May 2023

As far as i know, Midi out from VSTi's is currently not possible. There is currently also no workaround for this. Scaler have "Drag Midi" , which you could use.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

31 May 2023

I have loads of videos on my youtube channel on how to do this...
search for VST
e.g.

npinero1

31 May 2023

I appreciate the response but I have a Mac and Kushview Element would crash Reason on me in the past, maybe it has been fixed but this process also seems like a lot of work. I also wanted to find out why this is not a regular function of Reason. I am sure Reason has their reasons, but it just seems like it would be more intuitive if this was possible within the sequencer or rack, perhaps a CV and Gate out?

DaveyG

31 May 2023

It's functionality that many of us would like but RS have never made any comment about whether it will ever happen.
If you have another DAW (Logic Pro?) you could load Scaler 2 and the Reason plugin (RRP) in that DAW and route between them.
You can also use the RRP to get the output of players into a host DAW to drive native synths and stuff.

None of the solutions are ideal though.

huggermugger

31 May 2023

The only way is with a workaround like Poohbear shows. Reason STILL hasn't added MIDI Out from VST's, even though it must be the number one feature request now that VST3's been added. Switch to Live or Logic or Cubase or any other DAW.

npinero1

31 May 2023

huggermugger wrote:
31 May 2023
The only way is with a workaround like Poohbear shows. Reason STILL hasn't added MIDI Out from VST's, even though it must be the number one feature request now that VST3's been added. Switch to Live or Logic or Cubase or any other DAW.
I can switch, but I prefer Reason. I have Logic, Studio One, Ableton Live, ProTools, and Reaper and I love the workflow in Reason. There is no way to have the perfect DAW because thankfully, everyone writes differently. I just want to put in my humble vote for a solution for this.

Thank your taking the time to offer solutions, I do appreciate it.

Billy+

01 Jun 2023

Midi Support is on the todo list :lol:

I'm assuming the todo list is a bit like a roadmap only with longer delays.........

check out this post ;) viewtopic.php?p=537130#p537130

ljekio

01 Jun 2023

also this problem can be solved with bluecat's patchwork and inserting in chain vst-plugin with a midi output (for example, from the free pizmidi archive)

huggermugger

01 Jun 2023

Billy+ wrote:
01 Jun 2023
Midi Support is on the todo list :lol:

I'm assuming the todo list is a bit like a roadmap only with longer delays.........

check out this post ;) viewtopic.php?p=537130#p537130
Longer delays indeed. That post from Mattias is two and a half years old.

• Information