Dual Mono Tracks

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mind2069

19 Jul 2023

Hi

Is there a way to handle two mono audio (left and right without merging them) that is simpler than the method I am using now which is

Break out each track into a combinator and the combinator back into a new mix channel

Something kind of like have a stereo track but with each side being independent.

Useful when recording mono sources like 2 guitars left and right but without fusing them into a new track

selig
RE Developer

20 Jul 2023

Not sure exactly what you're asking, but simply putting two mono tracks into a stereo audio clip is not "fusing" them together - they are still just two mono tracks.
The way I would handle this sounds the same as what you're doing - record onto a stereo track then separate out to two mono Mix Channels (or keep one of them on the original track and split the other to a new Mix Channel).

Alternatively you can do all the channel routing inside the insert section of the stereo audio channel in the mixer. I often record guitar amp and DI into a stereo track, then split them out in the insert and mute the DI until needed later. OR, i run the DI to a new Mix Channel with an amp sim to see if I can beat the original live amp sound.
Why use a stereo track for two mono signals? Because I want to be able to edit the two tracks as one so they stay in 'sample accurate' sync to each other. This is my current workaround for a lack of edit grouping in Reason - in any other DAW it would be simpler to group the two mono tracks (or three tracks, if you use more than one mic on the amp).

I'll also often bounce double track DIs to a stereo audio track so I can use one amp sim etc since I'm looking for identical L/R settings. Same result as two mono tracks panned hard L/R, just a quicker workflow if you want the settings to match.
Selig Audio, LLC

mind2069

20 Jul 2023

What I mean is having 2 mono tracks from the sequencer into a single channel on the rack view

The way it is now it takes 3 items into the rack view, the 2 mono and the merged one

I want this because sometimes I play around with the mono guitar recording, muting a part (a side) or moving one side independently (left or right). A stereo recording is king if stuck that way, you can't mute or move one side of the clip from the sequencer.

It's not the end of the world now cause it's collapsed but it would make the rack view "cleaner"

robussc

20 Jul 2023

Are you unable to record to 2 dedicated mono tracks simultaneously? I know I can select inputs from my Scarlett in either stereo or mono mode?
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

QVprod

20 Jul 2023

Just route them to a bus. It’s still gonna be three channels, but you won’t have to route the cables or use a combinator.

robussc

20 Jul 2023

mind2069 wrote:
20 Jul 2023
What I mean is having 2 mono tracks from the sequencer into a single channel on the rack view

The way it is now it takes 3 items into the rack view, the 2 mono and the merged one

I want this because sometimes I play around with the mono guitar recording, muting a part (a side) or moving one side independently (left or right). A stereo recording is king if stuck that way, you can't mute or move one side of the clip from the sequencer.

It's not the end of the world now cause it's collapsed but it would make the rack view "cleaner"
I'm sure I'm not understanding but why is this not a suitable solution?
Monosnap untitled 2023-07-20 13-08-01.png
Monosnap untitled 2023-07-20 13-08-01.png (297.36 KiB) Viewed 434 times
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

mind2069

20 Jul 2023

robussc wrote:
20 Jul 2023
mind2069 wrote:
20 Jul 2023

That exactly what I'm using but was curious if it was possible to turn 3 devices in that rack to one, like having a stereo audio track that is composed of 2 unlinked mono clips.

The goal, to reduce the number of items in the rack. But After experimenting, I don't think it's possible., I was just curious

I guess the best PH could do is to hide items or make "super collapsable" items (very thin)

robussc

20 Jul 2023

mind2069 wrote:
20 Jul 2023
robussc wrote:
20 Jul 2023

That exactly what I'm using but was curious if it was possible to turn 3 devices in that rack to one, like having a stereo audio track that is composed of 2 unlinked mono clips.

The goal, to reduce the number of items in the rack. But After experimenting, I don't think it's possible., I was just curious

I guess the best PH could do is to hide items or make "super collapsable" items (very thin)
Well it's easier than using combinators in the middle at least :D , but yeah what you're trying to do isn't supported. Either record the two mono tracks simultaneously like I suggested (if that's possible?) or you have to direct route the stereo track to separate mix channels. To my mind that's a very elegant solution and one of the reasons I love working with Reason, it's all very "real" in a hardware way of thinking about it.

mind2069

20 Jul 2023

robussc wrote:
20 Jul 2023
mind2069 wrote:
20 Jul 2023

Well it's easier than using combinators in the middle at least :D , but yeah what you're trying to do isn't supported. Either record the two mono tracks simultaneously like I suggested (if that's possible?) or you have to direct route the stereo track to separate mix channels. To my mind that's a very elegant solution and one of the reasons I love working with Reason, it's all very "real" in a hardware way of thinking about it.
I'm playing guitars alone so I can't do them simultaneously but that wasn't the point, which was to reduce the number of devices in the rack, go to 3 to 1

I guess they would need to implement a special audio track the can accept mono sources for the left and the right, but I don't think it will ever get done, but perhaps they will introduce ways to hide devices.

• Information