Question About Mastering Multiple Songs in One Session

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
FrankJaeger

21 Aug 2023

Hi ya'll,
I have a question about mastering a project in one Reason session. Let's say I have a handful of songs that I want to master together so that there is a sense of cohesion in the project. If I import all of the files into one session (separate audio tracks of course) and they have different tempos, they will all snap to the tempo of that session. My question is: Should I disable the tempo stretch on each track? and if I do, will the tracks playback the way they were intended to originally or do I have to do something else to make sure that each song retains its proper bpm?

I've never mastered more than a single track at a time so I have a lack of understanding on this topic. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

jam-s

21 Aug 2023

I'd put tempo automation clips in the corresponding lane so each song sees its normal tempo. That way you could also do seamless transitions between the different pieces and have the tempo increase/decrease in between.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

21 Aug 2023

Just disable stretch. Imho Automation and transitioning in mastering is time based, not tempo based.

FrankJaeger

23 Aug 2023

Thank you both for your replies.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

DaveyG

23 Aug 2023

You are always going to be battling with Reason to master multiple tracks in one session. It can be done but there are better tools for the job.

I don't know if it is still unique in the DAW world but Presonus Studio One has a Project Page specifically targeted at assembling and mastering a bunch of songs/tunes into one cohesive album or EP. If you are planning to do much of that type of stuff it is well worth checking out - they have a 30 day demo version. I've not found anything else that works as well for multiple tracks (unless you want to pay someone else to do it!)

tomusurp

25 Aug 2023

Will the tracks be playing right after each other in one long sequence or separate files? For 1 sequence yeah you can automate tempo and other master paramaters whether Reason stock or VST

For separate, yeah just disable stretch and it wont change speed of original file even if project tempo is different
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/@usurptom
https://www.usurptom.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

• Information