MusicTech: Niklas Agevik talks Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

12 Oct 2023

Andy wrote:
12 Oct 2023
I couldn't tell the last time where I saw Reason users say "I am switching to Netflix/Steam because Reason is not doing it for me anymore". This idea that you are competing with Netflix/Steam is strange
Again, it's not specifically "Netflix" or even "Steam". The entire point was: making Reason fun/inspiring enough to compete for your time against shit you'd otherwise be doing (watching movies/TV or playing video games. Or reading a book. Or going to the mall). Etc...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

antic604

12 Oct 2023

antic604 wrote:
12 Oct 2023
selig wrote:
12 Oct 2023

Now that's coming off as a bit of an elitist, kinda a "no true Scotsman" type argument.
If you don't pay full price for Reason, you're not a "TRUE" Reason user.
That's not what I'm saying at all :shock:

"Reason user" is - IMO, of course! - someone who's using Reason the DAW. I don't care if they stole it, bought it or subscribe to it. But I bet my left testicle that vast majority of R+ subscribers use RRP exclusively or most of the time.
Well, apparently, I was mistaken (at least based on 35 votes on FB group):

poll.png
poll.png (86.54 KiB) Viewed 1376817 times
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

EnochLight

12 Oct 2023

antic604 wrote:
12 Oct 2023
antic604 wrote:
12 Oct 2023

That's not what I'm saying at all :shock:

"Reason user" is - IMO, of course! - someone who's using Reason the DAW. I don't care if they stole it, bought it or subscribe to it. But I bet my left testicle that vast majority of R+ subscribers use RRP exclusively or most of the time.

poll.png
35 votes for a product that has tens of thousands of users probably isn’t a reliable metric.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

avasopht
Competition Winner

12 Oct 2023

EnochLight wrote:
12 Oct 2023
antic604 wrote:
12 Oct 2023

poll.png
35 votes for a product that has tens of thousands of users probably isn’t a reliable metric.
Looks like his left testicle isn't off the hook just yet eh?

jklok

12 Oct 2023

selig wrote:
12 Oct 2023
jklok wrote:
11 Oct 2023
And stop naming your modules after regions and such, because what would it look like if someone made a "USA" synthesizer along the lines of the latest Spokane designs. This is just poor creative direction IMHO. Over and out.
Are you thinking of Korg Gadget here?!?
Interesting, ha ha, since I'm semi-retired these days, I didn't know about the Korg Gadget. My background is in audio post but I was a retail apprentice in a major music chain in the 80s and we had every brand on offer. Korg was always extremely inventive and charming, but the build quality of the hardware wasn't as good as Roland's and we sold far fewer Korg keyboards and drum machines while Juno-106 and TR-707 was flying off the shelves by the truckload. I also bought the Korg Mikrocontrol back in the 00s, which was nice, but it fell apart and the scroll wheel just wasn't good enough for the job it was supposed to do. But Korg sounds are simply classic and unbeatable to this day. But the hardware must be real solid and smooth as well as reliable and last for at least 10 years if properly maintained, imho.

antic604

13 Oct 2023

avasopht wrote:
12 Oct 2023
I'm starting slowly to say my goodbyes :cry:

Right now with 71 votes it skews even more towards exclusive Reason DAW users.

------------------------------------------

I wonder what RS sees on their end, though? Other than number of votes, people frequenting forums or FB groups are unlikely a good representative of "average" Reason user. I mean if I took the votes at face value, I could say that only 0,2% of Reason users subscribe to it, because 71 (voters) / 33000 (total members of the group) = 0,002 :D :wtf:
Last edited by antic604 on 13 Oct 2023, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast.

EnochLight

13 Oct 2023

avasopht wrote:
12 Oct 2023

antic604 wrote:
13 Oct 2023
I wonder what RS sees on their end, though?

Thankfully enough to keep developing/updating Reason DAW proper!

Loque

13 Oct 2023

antic604 wrote:
13 Oct 2023
avasopht wrote:
12 Oct 2023
I'm starting slowly to say my goodbyes :cry:

Right now with 71 votes it skews even more towards exclusive Reason DAW users.

------------------------------------------

I wonder what RS sees on their end, though? Other than number of votes, people frequenting forums or FB groups are unlikely a good representative of "average" Reason user. I mean if I took the votes at face value, I could say that only 0,2% of Reason users subscribe to it, because 71 (voters) / 33000 (total members of the group) = 0,002 :D :wtf:
Why do you start a vote if you dont take and accept the result?
Reason12, Win10

antic604

13 Oct 2023

Loque wrote:
13 Oct 2023
Why do you start a vote if you dont take and accept the result?
I'm not not accepting it.
I'm just acknowledging possible flaws in methodology and/or sample selection.
That's my risk management & modelling background peeking through, I guess :shock:
Music tech enthusiast.

deigm

13 Oct 2023

DaveyG wrote:
11 Oct 2023
Some of the mods on this forum really need to think about stepping down imho.
I for one appreciate that there are mods like EnochLight here that seem to promote rationalism.

Just take a look at this thread. Reason CEO says basically nothing in some magazines fluff piece and everyone starts to dissect it like a bunch of conspiracy theorists.

I can only speak for myself, obviously, but that sort of thing is not why I come to reasontalk.

antic604

13 Oct 2023

deigm wrote:
13 Oct 2023
Just take a look at this thread. Reason CEO says basically nothing in some magazines fluff piece and everyone starts to dissect it like a bunch of conspiracy theorists.

I can only speak for myself, obviously, but that sort of thing is not why I come to reasontalk.
Then perhaps he - the CEO - should speak clearly and openly, not resort to some corpo-talk that means. I don't recall a single statement from the guy that wasn't controversial. Perhaps Mattias should take over :)

Also, you don't have to read all threads :shock:
Music tech enthusiast.

EnochLight

13 Oct 2023

I mean, he did speak clearly. Most understood what he actually meant from the start.

Loque

13 Oct 2023

EnochLight wrote:
13 Oct 2023
I mean, he did speak clearly. Most understood what he actually meant from the start.
Yeah.

And others understood what they wanted to.
Reason12, Win10

antic604

13 Oct 2023

EnochLight wrote:
13 Oct 2023
Loque wrote:
13 Oct 2023
EnochLight wrote:
13 Oct 2023
Yeah.

And others understood what they wanted to.
Yeah, no.

I don't think for most people here braindead watching of Netflix (etc.) is an alternative to making music ;)
Music tech enthusiast.

avasopht
Competition Winner

13 Oct 2023

antic604 wrote:
13 Oct 2023

I'm not not accepting it.
I'm just acknowledging possible flaws in methodology and/or sample selection.
That's my risk management & modelling background peeking through, I guess :shock:
Well, the core RRP demographic might not use Reason Facebook groups or forums, ...

It is just a VST for them, after all

EnochLight

13 Oct 2023

antic604 wrote:
13 Oct 2023
Yeah, no.

I don't think for most people here braindead watching of Netflix (etc.) is an alternative to making music ;)
That's an assumption you're making based on your own personal activity. Meanwhile, some of the rest of the world does in fact choose to watch a movie or do something else instead of making music if it isn't fun anymore.

DaveyG

13 Oct 2023

This thread is rapidly becoming the Enoch against the world show. It's a forum. People are entitled to voice their opinions and, imho, mods should respect that rather than prolonging the argument and smothering debate. The CEO's comments are ambiguous. Other opinions are available.

EnochLight

13 Oct 2023

DaveyG wrote:
13 Oct 2023
This thread is rapidly becoming the Enoch against the world show.

DaveyG wrote:
13 Oct 2023
It's a forum. People are entitled to voice their opinions and, imho, mods should respect that rather than prolonging the argument and smothering debate. The CEO's comments are ambiguous. Other opinions are available.

Yeah, DaveyG - it's a forum, and in forums - people debate. It's literally a defining characteristic of forums. No one is smothering debate or prolonging any argument, and certainly not me. If you've got a problem with that, go hang out in your UFO thread or some crap. Couldn't give two flying farts what you think of my presence here.

avasopht
Competition Winner

13 Oct 2023

DaveyG wrote:
13 Oct 2023
The CEO's comments are ambiguous. Other opinions are available.
They're not really ambiguous. Most people are just not familiar with high level strategy.

I gave Nintendo as a prime example of the same type of rhetoric used to differentiate themselves from the other big players.

It's really not difficult to understand that other distractions compete for time and investment in music making.

You don't have to agree with them, but it's not difficult to understand what he said and how it might be useful to think about it in this way.

But people are using this to confirm their speculations.

guitfnky

13 Oct 2023

avasopht wrote:
13 Oct 2023
DaveyG wrote:
13 Oct 2023
The CEO's comments are ambiguous. Other opinions are available.
They're not really ambiguous. Most people are just not familiar with high level strategy.
😂

omg no.

if multiple people come to different understandings of a simple statement made in an interview, then the statement is ambiguous. that’s the literal definition of the word ambiguous.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Loque

13 Oct 2023

guitfnky wrote:
13 Oct 2023
avasopht wrote:
13 Oct 2023

😂

omg no.

if multiple people come to different understandings of a simple statement made in an interview, then the statement is ambiguous. that’s the literal definition of the word ambiguous.
Yep. The world is flat and the moon is made of cheese.
Reason12, Win10

dvdrtldg

14 Oct 2023

guitfnky wrote:
13 Oct 2023
avasopht wrote:
13 Oct 2023

😂

omg no.

But this absolute car crash of a thread isn't just people "coming to different understandings". It's a few sensible people taking the statement at face value (a simple statement, by your own admission) and then a bunch of angry paranoiacs giving themselves a hernia trying to squeeze something ominous out of it

jklok

14 Oct 2023

I like my current position, I watch from the sidelines. I went at 12 at the best possible time. Now I have equipment that I hope will last at least 10 years with enormous potential, but I don't need to stress in the recording studio like in the 70s with a felling of the "meter" ticking to stimulate my creativity . Of course, one is worried about a platform disappearing or becoming obsolete, it was a shock to many to see Sequential, Emulator, Fairlight, Ensoniq, Synclavier, PPG going bankrupt, and now Moog also going the same way. This shows that the technology is quite volatile and sensitive to revenue generation. I suppose, as in many other cases, there is something to be learned from the Japanese. Additionally, there are numerous reports of Pro Tools users unhappy with the huge rigs they were forced to replace at great expense. It's nothing new to lose tons of money chasing your famous sound, but in the long run, the right decision will prove its worth much later.

guitfnky

14 Oct 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
14 Oct 2023
guitfnky wrote:
13 Oct 2023

😂

omg no.

But this absolute car crash of a thread isn't just people "coming to different understandings". It's a few sensible people taking the statement at face value (a simple statement, by your own admission) and then a bunch of angry paranoiacs giving themselves a hernia trying to squeeze something ominous out of it
two things can be true. these are not mutually exclusive.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Eprom

14 Oct 2023

One thing's for sure, Niklas Agevik brought the Reason community together with his interview :lol:
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

• Information