Sample "What you hear" into Reason 12 - NN19

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ccso151

21 Nov 2023

Hey guys,
I haven't used Reason for a while and I am having a problem sampling into the program. I used to be able to play a song from youtube, or play an MP3 in VLC, and sample it right into Reason. I am using a reasonably powerful PC with a Creative Soundblaster with Asio. Reason no longer shows my input for "what you hear" and when I have Reason open, youtube crashes and says something to the effect of "Sound driver crashed - restart windows". What I am ultimately trying to do is sample stuff from VLC player or youtube within Reason like I used to. This is killing my sample game. Can anyone suggest a solution? I'll buy a different sound card if necessary. Ask any questions you wish. Thank you guys so much! - John

jam-s

21 Nov 2023

If you cannot get your audio setup fixed for live sampling you can always use youtube-dl to simply download the audio/video and then import it into Reason.

Kilsane

22 Nov 2023

I couldn't say for the creative sound card.
For my part no problem with an SSL2/2+ you have to use the Loopback inputs
Attachments
Loopback.png
Loopback.png (212.44 KiB) Viewed 8644 times

wereMole88

25 Nov 2023

I use VB-Audio Voicemeter Banana for this. It's a multiclient ASIO driver. It's a bit fidgety for my liking but it works.

ChulaCoola

25 Nov 2023

You can also use SoundTap Streaming Audio Recorder that will record any audio you stream from the internet or play from your computer. You can save the audio as a wav file, and go from there. You only have to select your audio in/outs. You can download a demo version from the NCH website.
Music lover/explorer extraordinaire, guitar player fair, and still have my hair at 60.

luckygreen

26 Nov 2023

DDMF Virtual Audio Stream is on Black Friday Sale right now. It allows you to use VST-plugins in your normal Windows audio-setup. I use it to pump up (compress / limit) quiet audio with my plugins: Web-videos for example that have no or bad post processing. Or games that are for some reason much to quiet on max volume setting on my limited speaker setup. But of course you can but in your free audio-recorder plugin and record the audio.

For youtube I would likely grab the video and demux the audio track with FFmpeg. I don't know what the law is like in your country but I would ask the video creator for permission in most cases.
Reason 12 perpetual | Ableton Live 11 Suite
Lectric Panda Kompulsion, Nostromo, mDSQ, Shape | PinkNoise Maia Bundle | Reason Studios Objekt | Rob Papen Go2 | UJAM some RE | Synapse Audio AF-4, RE-160, Obsession | Andrew Russell Double Dry/Wet | Murf Valley Plateau

EnochLight

27 Nov 2023

ccso151 wrote:
21 Nov 2023
Hey guys,
I haven't used Reason for a while and I am having a problem sampling into the program. I used to be able to play a song from youtube, or play an MP3 in VLC, and sample it right into Reason. I am using a reasonably powerful PC with a Creative Soundblaster with Asio. Reason no longer shows my input for "what you hear" and when I have Reason open, youtube crashes and says something to the effect of "Sound driver crashed - restart windows". What I am ultimately trying to do is sample stuff from VLC player or youtube within Reason like I used to. This is killing my sample game. Can anyone suggest a solution? I'll buy a different sound card if necessary. Ask any questions you wish. Thank you guys so much! - John
The "what you hear" feature was a Windows thing that Microsoft killed many, many years ago - long before Windows 11 (back during Windows Vista) due to "piracy concerns". :lol: You must have a soundcard that has an audio-loopback feature like the ones mentioned, or use a 3rd party app. If you insist on keeping that old Creative Soundblaster (I remember the 1990's too!) then you can also sample old-school by just running the headphone out of your computer into your Soundblaster's line-in using a stereo mini cable. Just turn off audio monitoring in Reason so you don't get a horrible feedback loop.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information