Returning Reason user - hello and some questions

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Legba

29 Dec 2023

Hi all,

I've been a Reason user since version 1.0 (December 2000) and used it on and off since then. After a long break I've updated to version 12.7.1 (perpetual license), taking advantage of the current discount. I have a few questions I wonder if anyone can help with:

1. How many machines can I activate Reason on for the month long activation? I've installed it on my Macbook and my Windows machine and both run fine, even running at the same time. I thought you couldn't run the same copy at the same time?

2. What happened to the ability to save a song in a read-only format? I remember being able to save as a "Reason published song" (.rps extension), that I think was removed in version 6. But I also see there is now a .rsndemo file extension which allows a song to be read only, but is not as restrictive as the .rps format (you couldn't cut/copy/paste or save any changes).

3. Compared with the Mac version, on Windows 11 the content formatting in the Tutorial pane looks terrible - like it's not rendering the CSS (Times New Roman font, all links underlined, no buttons, images wrong size). Is this a known issue?

Thanks for any help!

moneykube

29 Dec 2023

three computers can be authorized for a year with 12.7
you reauthorize each year... that is a new thing.
I never made RPS files for awhile so can't comment on that,
Last edited by moneykube on 29 Dec 2023, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Legba

29 Dec 2023

moneykube wrote:
29 Dec 2023
HI, yes that's true for the year long authorization, but how many for the month long activation?

moneykube

29 Dec 2023

Legba wrote:
29 Dec 2023
moneykube wrote:
29 Dec 2023
HI, yes that's true for the year long authorization, but how many for the month long activation?
weird question... you have a "12.7.1 (perpetual license)" >>>so why monthly?

Bes
Competition Winner

29 Dec 2023

maybe for offline activation? i do not know the answer
- Certified Reason expert

Bes
Competition Winner

29 Dec 2023

with authorizer i'm pretty sure the offline access license was limited to one device
- Certified Reason expert

moneykube

29 Dec 2023

Bes wrote:
29 Dec 2023
with authorizer i'm pretty sure the offline access license was limited to one device
nope and nope> it is now Reason Companion.When I used authorizer and a dongle I could authorize 2 for offline use before reason 12.7> 3 off line authorizations came with 12.6.
"Authorizing a computer for long-term off-line use

In addition, if you have an Annual Reason+ subscription or own a standard (perpetual) Reason 12 license, you can authorize your computer for long-term offline use. This can be useful if you are travelling or working in a studio without internet access, etc. The long-term authorization allows for staying off-line on the authorized computer for one (1) year. If you are a Reason+ subscriber you are limited by the subscription end date, though. In most situations, authorizing a computer for long-term use is not necessary, though.

Authorizing Reason for long-term offline use

Open the Preferences dialog in Reason
Go to the Account and Authorization tab
Click the “Add Long-term Authorization” button
Authorizing Reason Rack Plugin for long-term offline use

Bring up Reason Rack Plugin in your DAW
Click the Settings button to show the Settings window
Under Account and Authorization, click the “Add long-term authorization” button
You can authorize up to three (3) computers for long-term use. If you’ve already authorized three computers, you will need to remove the authorization for one of them first. This is done by running Reason/Reason Rack Plugin on one of those three computers, and clicking the “Remove long-term authorization” button on the same page in the Preferences/Settings."

"in most situations, authorizing a computer for long-term use is not necessary, though."
My question would be why would anyone choose not to authorize for a year if they owned a perpetual licence ? I can see it if you are doing reason + monthly, but do not understand why a perpetual licence owner would choose one month at a time.

Legba

03 Jan 2024

To answer my own questions:

1. There doesn't seem to be a limit.
2. Seems only the .rsndemo file extension is supported.
3. Devs say this is a known issue, don't know when it will be fixed.

• Information