Announcing Reason 13

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
aquil

17 May 2024

Ok, thanks. Mhn, you need to close it during drag and drop? So, when i search for a patch click and drag it outside the browser, i thought it will hide and give me space to drop it where i want.

aquil

17 May 2024

What's New in Reason 13?

Ghostrunner

17 May 2024

I apologize for not reading through 23 pages of comments to find a possible answer, but any word on midi-routing and midi-chase?

jaeproduced

17 May 2024

It's about dang gone time RYAN...

supersmarter

17 May 2024

Ghostrunner wrote:
17 May 2024
I apologize for not reading through 23 pages of comments to find a possible answer, but any word on midi-routing and midi-chase?
If you mean using MIDI from VST plugins - No in this release. I don't know anything about the chase though.

What worries me by seeing the video just released with Ryan speaking and by looking at the screenshots of their press release is that it seems to me all of the new updates are sort of centered on one screen.

So you get to see the very top has now these several buttons (and they are all inside this one gigantic window)

Devices, Browser, Mixer, Rack, Sequencer, Flip Rack, and Help - screenshot attached.

And this makes sense when you are working on a single screen. And I hope they didn't focus solely on this and tossed away usage on two screens. But what about two screens I mean can anyone from ReasonStudios tell me that you can still detach the main mixer or the sequencer and drag it to the other screen?

Does the Sequencer and the piano roll at the bottom of the sequencer stay on the second screen in Reason 13?

Or can you at least "stretch" reason across two monitors and then make half of that Rack on the left (first monitor) and Sequencer + piano roll on the right (second monitor)?
Attachments
01.jpg
01.jpg (231.51 KiB) Viewed 576 times

Ottostrom

17 May 2024

supersmarter wrote:
17 May 2024
And this makes sense when you are working on a single screen. And I hope they didn't focus solely on this and tossed away usage on two screens. But what about two screens I mean can anyone from ReasonStudios tell me that you can still detach the main mixer or the sequencer and drag it to the other screen?
Removing the ability to detach the screens from each other would be such a weird choice that I really don't think this is something we have to worry about.
What is making me continually more worried is that we still haven't seen any evidence of favorites/custom groups in the device browser :? I search for devices more than I search for sounds, so this would be a big inconvenience.
Other than that I'm very stoked about the update. The devices are looking great and the split sequencer is such a nice change :)

Pepin

17 May 2024

supersmarter wrote:
17 May 2024
But what about two screens I mean can anyone from ReasonStudios tell me that you can still detach the main mixer or the sequencer and drag it to the other screen?
I would be shocked if that was removed. I would guess the buttons at the top are not mutually exclusive, and you can enable them all at once, with the same ability to detach as usual.

crimsonwarlock

17 May 2024

aquil wrote:
17 May 2024
How the drag and drop handled with the new browser? Will it hides automatically?
In the old browser, you can step through presets, and they load in the device with preset-focus (that orange highlight). If the new browser would close every time you select a preset, that functionality would be gone. I think the new browser will simply use the same shortcut as the old one for show and hide.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

crimsonwarlock

17 May 2024

Pepin wrote:
17 May 2024
supersmarter wrote:
17 May 2024
But what about two screens I mean can anyone from ReasonStudios tell me that you can still detach the main mixer or the sequencer and drag it to the other screen?
I would be shocked if that was removed. I would guess the buttons at the top are not mutually exclusive, and you can enable them all at once, with the same ability to detach as usual.
We can be sure they didn't remove that, as multi-screen setups are the norm these days. Even Tracktion Waveform, which is designed around the one-screen paradigm, can detach parts of its user interface. If RS removed that option, it would be the end of Reason Studios :lol:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Pepin

17 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
17 May 2024
aquil wrote:
17 May 2024
How the drag and drop handled with the new browser? Will it hides automatically?
In the old browser, you can step through presets, and they load in the device with preset-focus (that orange highlight). If the new browser would close every time you select a preset, that functionality would be gone. I think the new browser will simply use the same shortcut as the old one for show and hide.
The question may be about what happens during the process of dragging and dropping, since the floating browser could obscure the rack.
In that case, it's confirmed the browser temporarily "folds away".

aquil

17 May 2024

Pepin wrote:
17 May 2024
The question may be about what happens during the process of dragging and dropping, since the floating browser could obscure the rack.
Ah, thats great. To bad that this is not shown in the last video.

supersmarter

17 May 2024

Ottostrom wrote:
17 May 2024
Removing the ability to detach the screens from each other would be such a weird choice that I really don't think this is something we have to worry about.
What is making me continually more worried is that we still haven't seen any evidence of favorites/custom groups in the device browser :? I search for devices more than I search for sounds, so this would be a big inconvenience.
Other than that I'm very stoked about the update. The devices are looking great and the split sequencer is such a nice change :)
How can you not see this? This is exactly what you (and I) are going to use for the favorites. Are we talking about the same thing?
Attachments
02.jpg
02.jpg (125.68 KiB) Viewed 522 times

Ottostrom

17 May 2024

supersmarter wrote:
17 May 2024
Ottostrom wrote:
17 May 2024
How can you not see this? This is exactly what you (and I) are going to use for the favorites. Are we talking about the same thing?
We are not talking about the same thing, as this new browser is only for patches and sounds. I'm talking about the device browser which stay as a separate window on the left side of the rack/sequencer. At least up until now we've been able to create custom groups which you could use to categorize devices, but now that the device browser has been simplified (as it does not include patches and sounds any more) it almost seems like this feature is not there.
Last edited by Ottostrom on 17 May 2024, edited 1 time in total.

supersmarter

17 May 2024

Ottostrom wrote:
17 May 2024
We are not talking about the same thing, as this new browser is only for patches and sounds. I'm talking about the device browser which stay as a separate window on the left side of the rack/sequencer. At least up until now we've been able to create custom groups which you could use to categorize devices, but now that the device browser has been simplified (as it does not include patches and sounds any more) it almost seems like this feature is not there any more.
Ahhh apologies for misunderstanding. I never used that feature. Hopefully, something like that will be in for you.

ambi

17 May 2024

I can't see the RE/VST2/VST3 filters in the device browser anymore. I hope they're still there.

supersmarter

17 May 2024

Polytone - The option to "morph" feature seems stunning. It would have been amazing and weird to be able to "morph" between say a pad in A and a bassline in B.

ReasonStudios is it possible to load a specific patch in A and then a specific Patch in B? That would be a nice twist. Something like that is possible in Reaktor. It would be a small brother of a "genetics" function found in Dune.

Djstarski

17 May 2024

Quick question , will the RIPLEY SPACE DELAY include dotted notes ?

crimsonwarlock

17 May 2024

Ottostrom wrote:
17 May 2024
I'm talking about the device browser which stay as a separate window on the left side of the rack/sequencer. At least up until now we've been able to create custom groups which you could use to categorize devices, but now that the device browser has been simplified (as it does not include patches and sounds any more) it almost seems like this feature is not there.
Yep, I voiced the same concern earlier in this topic. I'm already getting to terms with the idea of having a default-preset for each device and make favorite lists with that. Being able to tag those for specific purposes will make that even more useful. Maybe tagging default presets will even make big favorite lists (I have around 50 for this currently) obsolete. The visual device browser can stay hidden indefinitely in that case.
-------

selig
RE Developer

17 May 2024

supersmarter wrote:
17 May 2024
Polytone - The option to "morph" feature seems stunning. It would have been amazing and weird to be able to "morph" between say a pad in A and a bassline in B.

ReasonStudios is it possible to load a specific patch in A and then a specific Patch in B? That would be a nice twist. Something like that is possible in Reaktor. It would be a small brother of a "genetics" function found in Dune.
It’s something that’s been around for a while, the latest hardware synth to do it I’m aware of is PolyBrute and the first I knew of was the Yamaha AN1x released in 1998!
You’re basically just crossfading values for each knob, so if it was 0% on one path and 100% on the other, a 50/50 morph would set it to 50%. Switches are another issue, which is one reason to have as many continuous controls as possible such as waveforms selectors that crossfade instead of switch, etc.
Selig Audio, LLC

nebraskafire

17 May 2024

Pepin wrote:
17 May 2024
crimsonwarlock wrote:
17 May 2024

Yes it folds away an you can use F8 to show and hide the browser.

supersmarter

17 May 2024

selig wrote:
17 May 2024
It’s something that’s been around for a while, the latest hardware synth to do it I’m aware of is PolyBrute and the first I knew of was the Yamaha AN1x released in 1998!
You’re basically just crossfading values for each knob, so if it was 0% on one path and 100% on the other, a 50/50 morph would set it to 50%. Switches are another issue, which is one reason to have as many continuous controls as possible such as waveforms selectors that crossfade instead of switch, etc.
I am late to the party (as usual). I only noticed it in Dune (genetics) and in Reaktor a while ago. I can see commands on Poltone "copy a to b" so maybe this will be possible...hard to guess

crimsonwarlock

17 May 2024

supersmarter wrote:
17 May 2024
I only noticed it in Dune (genetics) and in Reaktor a while ago
Back in 2009 there was a synthesizer entry in the KVR developer challenge, that had this as its defining feature.

I dug it up for you: https://www.kvraudio.com/kvr-developer- ... 9/#dc09_35
-------

Popey
Competition Winner

17 May 2024

supersmarter wrote:
17 May 2024
selig wrote:
17 May 2024
I am late to the party (as usual). I only noticed it in Dune (genetics) and in Reaktor a while ago. I can see commands on Poltone "copy a to b" so maybe this will be possible...hard to guess
If not you may be able to use the crossfader from the new r13 device in a Combinator possibly.

supersmarter

17 May 2024

Popey wrote:
17 May 2024
If not you may be able to use the crossfader from the new r13 device in a Combinator possibly.
That would be mixing two already-defined signals. So you have A and B and yo can crossfade between them. Morph feature in Polytone is different. It "morphs" parameters. So something 50% between A or B does not sound like A or B but can be something entirely weird.

Imagine having A pad and B bass. With crossfade, you merely mix up between two signals that do not change at all - you only mix levels between them. You already have exactly that feature in Polytone. No additional device is needed. Look at the screenshot. MODE: Single, Mix (which is crossfader) and Morph,

What Morph does (at least that's how I understood it) is that it "morphs" synth parameters so when you move the slider to 50% the sound coming from it is something delivered from adding 50% patch parameters from A (pad) and 50% from B (bass) which can get nice surprise sounds. This is very different then crossfading two signals.

selig
RE Developer

17 May 2024

Popey wrote:
17 May 2024
supersmarter wrote:
17 May 2024

@supersmarter, it's possible.
@Popey, crossfading is a totally different sounding effect than morphing. Crossfading two audio signals means a blend of the two when in the center position - exactly as if you have layered them from two separate synths. So even with a one oscillator patch in both A and B positions, you can have different effects if the two patches are detuned from each other when in the center position (a chorus effect) than you would have with either patch on their own due to the stacked oscillators from BOTH patches being heard at once.
Morphing means (among other things) a one oscillator patch on both A and B is still a one oscillator patch in the center position. If they were detuned as in the above crossfade example, instead of hearing a chorus/stacking effect in the center you would instead hear the one oscillator at a pitch exactly half way between the A patch and the B patch. Hopefully that makes sense?
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information