Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
Carpainter

12 Feb 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
11 Feb 2021
+ 3 new devices? :D
Two of which will be cheesy Combinator hacks of existing devices like Scenic.

Any useful instrument that is competitive with existing VSTs will be locked behind the Rack Extension/Reason + paywall.

Billy+

12 Feb 2021

selig wrote:
12 Feb 2021

Can I just add that James has been MORE than accommodating here, and is more open and able to communicate publicly than anyone in the past that I can remember. We are all human here, which means we can make mistakes but ALSO means we ALL deserve to be treated with common decency and respect. Carry on!
I totally agree with that and would add that he has answered more questions than I've seen answered by someone in his position with an open approach to any questions asked and even if you don't agree with him or the direction taken you should attempt to be polite in your questions and patient while waiting for a response.

I personally don't like subscription services, but I do understand the reasoning behind it thanks to James.

gullum

12 Feb 2021

PGR wrote:
12 Feb 2021
I own Reason Suite

Could someone please enlighten me, why should I be upset?

I do not see the need for the subscription. I have 1 month free and I really enjoy the Sound Packs but othervise, I own most of the devices.

I probably just use Reason as I always have done before.

Maybe I subscribe when they release the "new PX7-RE" and next version of Reason. Or I buy them as I have done before.

I am not upset, mad or insulted by Reason Studios.

Please help me, why should I be upset?
no need to be upset but maybe a reason to be insulted
You have almost all of the devices through the Suite and you are offered a subscription to pay $10 a month to use those devices + some soundbanks thats your offered to pay $120 to use the product that you bought for like $450 or something. if they introduced it together with 12 then it would have been a choice to upgrade straight out or subscribe.

joeyluck

12 Feb 2021

gullum wrote:
12 Feb 2021
PGR wrote:
12 Feb 2021
I own Reason Suite

Could someone please enlighten me, why should I be upset?

I do not see the need for the subscription. I have 1 month free and I really enjoy the Sound Packs but othervise, I own most of the devices.

I probably just use Reason as I always have done before.

Maybe I subscribe when they release the "new PX7-RE" and next version of Reason. Or I buy them as I have done before.

I am not upset, mad or insulted by Reason Studios.

Please help me, why should I be upset?
You have almost all of the devices through the Suite and you are offered a subscription to pay $10 a month to use those devices + some soundbanks thats your offered to pay $120 to use the product that you bought for like $450 or something. if they introduced it together with 12 then it would have been a choice to upgrade straight out or subscribe.
Yeah it might've been an easier sell to existing owners if offered alongside R12, but only because I think some people have difficulty seeing past what is included today.

First off, you have until April 27 to decide on the discounted annual plan. So the plan, depending when you subscribe, could take you through February—April 2022. I imagine most who started R+ have begun with the free 30 days.

So that includes access to any REs by Reason Studios and Reason updates released in all that time, along with the sound packs.

I personally prefer to own software licenses, but the idea of what will be released between now and then is exciting to me and makes it a pretty cool deal at the discount.

PGR

12 Feb 2021

Thank you for answer. And sorry for my poor English, but I guess it is better your Swedish 😊

I bought Reason Suite in September 2019. I thought it was a good price in the view of what were included. So I have used Reason Suite for 17 months. Now I have the option to subscribe but I do not see why I should do it. At least for now. I personally prefer to own software licenses. So I use Reason as I always have done. I really try to feel insulted but without succeeding.

I would be upset and insulted if I couldn´t use my perpetual (I have learned a new English word) Reason and were forced to subscribe. Instead, I think it is good that people now have the opportunity to subscribe to use Reason and all the included extra. This must especially be good for people that don´t have used Reason before and don´t have the money to buy the perpetual version of Reason and all the extras. But nothing has changed for me so how can I be upset?

Ok, I confess. I am slightly disappointed that Reason Studios released a new thing that was not for me. But I am sure that for other people, this subscription model is exactly what they were looking for. Instead, I have my eyes for the upcoming RE-instrument and Reason 12 this year.

Jagwah

13 Feb 2021

plaamook wrote:
11 Feb 2021
Jagwah wrote:
11 Feb 2021
Reason+ 2050 - New hacker app technology allows coders to break into Reason+ and make it open source, upon which an upgraded Combinator and overhauled sequencer are the first of many upgrades almost immediately implemented, and it is then rebranded - 'Propellerhead Reason' and rejoiced the world over.
Awsome.
I'll be in my 70's but still...it'll be great to see it realise it's potential at last!
I know right! What a sad thought :thumbs_down:
Faastwalker wrote:
11 Feb 2021
+ 3 new devices? :D
:lol:

EdwardKiy

13 Feb 2021

selig wrote:
12 Feb 2021
jamespember wrote:
10 Feb 2021
I'd be more than happy to discuss this with you, as evidenced by my presence in this thread, but I ask that we keep it professional and stay away from personal and sarcastic comments about our staff and colleagues.
Can I just add that James has been MORE than accommodating here, and is more open and able to communicate publicly than anyone in the past that I can remember. We are all human here, which means we can make mistakes but ALSO means we ALL deserve to be treated with common decency and respect. Carry on!
Can I just add that James is here to deal with the mess he is in-part responsible for which has been years in the making. This is not a problem that has just suddenly popped up.

This thread is so predominantly negative because the community seems to be all out of yellow cards. Don't downplay it.

The DAW doesn't have a full screen mode.

James, do you think it's okay that the DAW doesn't have a full screen mode? Is it acceptable to you? No need to pass this to Mattias, I'm just curious to hear your opinion, please.

Jagwah

13 Feb 2021

joeyluck wrote:
12 Feb 2021
I personally prefer to own software licenses...
Gees take it easy buddy, no need to tear them to shreds about it :shock: :P :shock:

jamespember
Reason Studios

13 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
12 Feb 2021
selig wrote:
12 Feb 2021

I totally agree with that and would add that he has answered more questions than I've seen answered by someone in his position with an open approach to any questions asked and even if you don't agree with him or the direction taken you should attempt to be polite in your questions and patient while waiting for a response.

I personally don't like subscription services, but I do understand the reasoning behind it thanks to James.
Aw thanks you two :)

EnochLight

13 Feb 2021

EdwardKiy wrote:
13 Feb 2021
This is literally one of the least important things that I can think of. In fact, I hadn’t even thought about it until this post. How would this make Reason (standalone DAW) a better experience? Truly curious, because if I’m missing something - I’ll totally add it to my mile long list of feature requests that I have.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Billy+

13 Feb 2021

EnochLight wrote:
13 Feb 2021
EdwardKiy wrote:
13 Feb 2021
This is literally one of the least important things that I can think of. In fact, I hadn’t even thought about it until this post. How would this make Reason (standalone DAW) a better experience? Truly curious, because if I’m missing something - I’ll totally add it to my mile long list of feature requests that I have.
Didn't this already get discussed?

Mine runs full screen!

Goes top to bottom, left to right?

joeyluck

13 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
13 Feb 2021
EnochLight wrote:
13 Feb 2021

Mine runs full screen!

I think maybe it's not an option on Windows? It's been there for years on Mac.

Billy+

13 Feb 2021

joeyluck wrote:
13 Feb 2021
Billy+ wrote:
13 Feb 2021

Mine runs full screen!

Ah yeah that's it, I'm still puzzled that it's not full screen

Its been years since I ran Reason on windows and I sure I never felt like I wasn't getting full screen. Makes me want to install a copy on one of the kids laptops.

EdwardKiy

13 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
13 Feb 2021

Mine runs full screen!

forced full screen is Apple's workaround for a feature that Reason doesn't have and so are the hotkeys. And I don't own an apple computer, so how do I even know this? Why, by going to the Reason official website of course. SIKE! There's not a word about this on their website. They don't seem to know their DAW doesn't have a full screen mode.

RoryM0

13 Feb 2021

joeyluck wrote:
13 Feb 2021
Billy+ wrote:
13 Feb 2021

Mine runs full screen!

I'm on Windows and I get full screen? Not sure what people mean about it not having a full screen mode?

joeyluck

13 Feb 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
13 Feb 2021
joeyluck wrote:
13 Feb 2021

I'm on Windows and I get full screen? Not sure what people mean about it not having a full screen mode?
On macOS, fullscreen mode is not just about making it take up the full screen. It does away with window bars, but it is also a part of managing workspaces. So I can put the Rack, Mixer, and Sequencer all in separate fullscreens and then swipe left/right with three fingers to switch screens. I can also swipe up to enter exposé and then choose the window from there (just the same as if I wasn't in fullscreen mode).

I don't understand what is described as "forced fullscreen" because Reason alone can't do what macOS can do, so I'm not sure of the benefit of fullscreen mode outside of those macOS type features.

EdwardKiy

13 Feb 2021

EnochLight wrote:
13 Feb 2021
How would this make Reason (standalone DAW) a better experience? Truly curious, because if I’m missing something - I’ll totally add it to my mile long list of feature requests that I have.
I've gotten quite bad at detecting sarcasm lately... so in case you are joking, I apologize in advance.

Having a border that is, without any hyperbole, a windows '95 gimmick around a movie screen at a cinema would piss you off even in 1995. It would piss you off in a computer game. And that's just entertainment. Now, a Digital Audio WORK-station is something people spend their lives with on a daily basis - it's a work tool. Do you think it should be less or more optimized to be distraction-free, than something that is literally a distraction?

Internet browsers don't need a full screen mode, and yet they've had an F11 option for decade(s), JUST IN CASE someone works there and needs that functionality.

To reverse your question, how does having a windows '95 gimmick (white) border around your (dark-themed) DAW make it a better experience? Just curious.

Here's an illustration I've made months ago for a feature request thread.
notfullscreen.JPG
notfullscreen.JPG (525.86 KiB) Viewed 2157 times

And here's what a full screen mode looks like:
fullscreen.JPG
fullscreen.JPG (264.37 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
Last edited by EdwardKiy on 13 Feb 2021, edited 2 times in total.

Billy+

13 Feb 2021

joeyluck wrote:
13 Feb 2021
On macOS, fullscreen mode is not just about making it take up the full screen. It does away with window bars, but it is also a part of managing workspaces. So I can put the Rack, Mixer, and Sequencer all in separate fullscreens and then swipe left/right with three fingers to switch screens. I can also swipe up to enter exposé and then choose the window from there (just the same as if I wasn't in fullscreen mode).

I don't understand what is described as "forced fullscreen" because Reason alone can't do what macOS can do, so I'm not sure of the benefit of fullscreen mode outside of those macOS type features.
You mean the virtual workspaces,
IMG_2491.PNG
IMG_2491.PNG (69.63 KiB) Viewed 2534 times
IMG_2492.PNG
IMG_2492.PNG (62.92 KiB) Viewed 2529 times

Billy+

13 Feb 2021

Windows
IMG_2493.JPG
IMG_2493.JPG (534.08 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
Mac
IMG_2336.PNG
IMG_2336.PNG (584.98 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
It's just one of the way that the different operating systems differ.

EdwardKiy

13 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
13 Feb 2021
not exactly. Reason doesn't follow Windows' colour scheme and border design, it's just Reason's 'windows '95 border' design that they made for windows. My OS is otherwise dark-themed.

joeyluck

13 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
13 Feb 2021
Windows

IMG_2493.JPG

Mac

IMG_2336.PNG

Billy that's still not fullscreen mode. Hit the green button.

orthodox
RE Developer

13 Feb 2021

EdwardKiy wrote:
13 Feb 2021
Here's an illustration I've made months ago for a feature request thread.
Here's how I have it:

Billy+

13 Feb 2021

joeyluck wrote:
13 Feb 2021

Billy that's still not fullscreen mode. Hit the green button.
Yeah I know it's not full full screen ;)

I was just showing how they handle the application menu bar differently.

EdwardKiy

13 Feb 2021

orthodox wrote:
13 Feb 2021

Here's how I have it:
I don't know how you made the top bar dark, but there is still a searing white bar in-between. And this is still not fullscreen just maximized windowed mode. Your setup has 6 bars of wasted space at the top (x2 for mixer, x2 for sequencer and x2 for the rack tab that you now have as separate) and makes the core F6, F7 and F8 functions useless. I went back to using F6-7-8 for comfort, despite the crazy clutter.
Last edited by EdwardKiy on 13 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

13 Feb 2021

EdwardKiy wrote:
13 Feb 2021
orthodox wrote:
13 Feb 2021

Here's how I have it:
I don't know how you made the top bar dark, but there is still a searing white bar in-between. And this is still not fullscreen just maximized windowed mode. Your setup has 6 bars of wasted space at the top (x2 for mixer, x2 for sequencer and x2 for the rack tab that you now have as separate) and makes the core F6, F7 and F8 functions useless. I went back to using F6-7-8 for comfort, despite the crazy clutter.
On macOS, in Reason, under the 'Window' menu there is 'Show/Hide Tab Bar' (that is hidden by default).

Not sure if you have that option and if toggling it will remove that bar for you...

• Information