What would you like to see fixed/implemented regarding Reason midi?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stratatonic

04 Jan 2018

stratatonic wrote:
04 Oct 2017
PeterP wrote:
28 Sep 2017
Midi comp feature, just like with audio.
More of a sequencer request I think, but, hell, yeah.!... :thumbs_up:

I think ljekio wrote a script to do alternate takes with midi. I used it a few times on an older version of Reason on Windows.
Also, Carly-Poohbear's thread on how to set up recurring midi tracks where each pass is a new lane and you do not HEAR the previous take may be a work-around of sorts. You'd still have to manually copy/paste the best parts together...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503908

jlgrimes

04 Jan 2018

stratatonic wrote:
23 Sep 2017
What would you like to see fixed/implemented regarding Reason midi?

I noticed a few posters in the "Reason 10 announced!" thread mention they would like to see some workflow improvements for Reason.
What would you like to see for midi?

Personally, I would like to see a brush/paint tool similar to Logic:
I would also like a brush tool.

Also

1. Being able to decrease/increase grid resolutions by key bindings.

2. Mute notes.

3. Better arrange view workflow. In Reason chopping and muting clips seems more tedious than Live (which isn’t great as well). Sonars arrange view was pretty good. Personally more key bindings helps here. Grid resolution key binding access alone would improve the workflow a few times over.

Groove pool needs an update or I might not know the feature as well. How do I decide when to swing eigth or sixteenth notes.

Reason could use more improvements but those alone would improve it big time.

jlgrimes

04 Jan 2018

Creativemind wrote:
08 Oct 2017
jlgrimes wrote:
07 Oct 2017
8. Razor Tool also function as note divide tool based off of Grid Resolution.
This one can be done now since 9. Use the razor to cut by the snap amount think it is.

Razor tool only cuts.

Divide would divide the note into equal notes upon grid resolution.

That said being able to cut midi notes now is a big improvement in Reasons workflow.

Aquila

05 Jan 2018

I'd love to have full MIDI in/out/thru patching of rack devices, like what's been possible with CV all these years. Imagine what you could do with that!

Chain multiple combinators? No problem!
In-rack polyphonic & multitimbral sequencers? Sure!
MIDI clip/phrase triggering? Definitely!
Realtime MIDI note processing, manipulation and routing? Yes please!

syncanonymous

05 Jan 2018

eusti wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Ability to see another midi track in the sequencer to be able to write accordingly...

D.
I would hand over much more than the yearly upgrade cost for this; IMO this is the most important missing functionality. Those that edit in Seq like this all waste sooooo much time toggling between Arrange and Edit modes, ensuring the playhead is in the right place.

thenagain, I don’t see this Seq editing functionality as a midi issue, I understood OP to mean midi hardware handlng...in that case, CV over CC bipolar using EMI outputs :)
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

dancing fool

05 Jan 2018

All the midi features that cubase have.
I switched from cubase to reason 6 years ago.
The only thing i mis in reason is the midi editor capabillities of cubase.
And system exclusive messages.
And midi out for vst so i can hook reaktor to RE.

Ahornberg

05 Jan 2018

If I want what Live, Reaper or even Renoise has to offer when it comes to MIDI features, I simply use Rewire.

There's also OSC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Sound_Control and I would like to use it in Reason.

Creativemind

08 Jan 2018

jlgrimes wrote:
04 Jan 2018
Creativemind wrote:
08 Oct 2017

This one can be done now since 9. Use the razor to cut by the snap amount think it is.

Razor tool only cuts.

Divide would divide the note into equal notes upon grid resolution.

That said being able to cut midi notes now is a big improvement in Reasons workflow.
Oh I get you. Something I personally called, "Slice By Snap" or could call it "Slice By Grid" couldn't you?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

OhVaDuE

08 Jan 2018

*Ghost Channels (Like FL Studio has)
*Scale Highlighting (Set scale and keys are highlighted)
*Piano roll keys labeled
*Slide function

-008'

09 Jan 2018

syncanonymous wrote:
05 Jan 2018
eusti wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Ability to see another midi track in the sequencer to be able to write accordingly...

D.
I would hand over much more than the yearly upgrade cost for this
I would gladly take only half that amount for my solution! :P :D
OhVaDuE wrote:
08 Jan 2018
*Ghost Channels (Like FL Studio has)
stratatonic wrote:
04 Oct 2017
eusti wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Ability to see another midi track in the sequencer
madmacman wrote:
26 Sep 2017
2. Ghost clips: midi clips which are related to a „master“ clip.
The Age Old wrote:
26 Sep 2017
-Ghost Notes: when drawing notes in a midi clip, notes from other midi clips appear transparent in the background on the grid. (FL, Bitwig)
Seems to be a popular request...
You were right about that stratatonic and it turns out even more popular than i thought. I can't believe that I had missed this thread... that said, i dont want anyone in this thread talking about ghost notes to miss the solution...I know most of you saw it but:
👻Here is my workaround for ghost channels in Reason: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7505044
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

scratchnsnifff

10 Jan 2018

When adjusting velocity and holding control with the pencil tool it creates. Straight line, which looks like cubase’s old automation system. I believe I saw a video that shows ratio velocity drawing so say you want every other velocity of every other note to be at 50 while the others are at 100. When you draw your straight line and Type in the ratio it will automatically make every other note half of the input value. Idk how to explain it properly if you watch the cubase 9.5 update video they made you will see what I am taking about

Idk if automation is counted as midi. But automation curves!!!!!’ As well as the ability to choose from preset shapes line perfect sine waves, a triangle with either side curved. A little menu of shapes that can be copied and pasted from the tool window. (Taking James Bernard’s automation toolbox to the next level)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

scratchnsnifff

10 Jan 2018

Oh and ghost notes! Because we have scales and chords, those who don’t know about ghost notes will be mind blown. We’d be able to make awesome melodies from the notes that the players have given us :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

RandyEspoda

10 Jan 2018

MIDI out from VST off course, so we can use things like Cthulu in Reason, still waiting for that

• Information