Predicting Reason 10

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
The_G

02 May 2017

ltbrunt00 wrote: A new Reason branded Radical device. They have Piano, Electric Keyboard. Maybe Radical Banjo, Fiddle and washtub. Reason could become the best DAW for emulating blue grass.
Radical Jug.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

Oquasec

02 May 2017

8k gpus are 800$.
4k gpus are 400$ minimum. [coupons bring all down to 1/4th the price]
1080p gpus are 100-200$.

So I hope reason 10 support 4k resolution minimum.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

raccoonboy

02 May 2017

I want further integration between rack devices and sequencer. I.e. there should be the option to send sequences to midi on REs (not the workarounds). Things like grooves templates should work on devices without having to convert to midi first. The pattern selection on the sequencer is pretty quick but feel it could somehow be a little more streamlined.

Basically I'd like to be able to easily sequence a whole song without having to commit things to MIDI etc so everything is pretty much running straight from the rack, just a more fun way to work for me.

limbophonic

02 May 2017

the ability to recall different mixes of the same song would be great,
and vari speed control like analog tape machines, great for doing backing vocals.

Makis

02 May 2017

I wish for an improved sequencer and better audio editing functions. Also something I want for so many years is to be able to double click a fader/knob to enter value.

firejan82

02 May 2017

Clip launching would be most welcome.

Creativemind

02 May 2017

More workflow options for me (but think maybe should come in a point update and leave the big things for 10 (apart from midi editing, save that for 10)).

Sync'ing of Windows (Muting / Solo'ing / Order / Labelling) in real time
Sync'ing of Browsers (Rather annoying browsing audio patches in the rack then going to the sequencer and have to navigate again. I mean you can't drag audio into the rack so a bit annoying)
All Parameters read in correct values (Frequency = Hz, Volume = dB and Time = ms or maybe seconds)
Manual Parameter Inputs
An Undo Events List (Show / Hide with an F key and the ability to up the undo's from 300-999, also scale down the undo's in a tab where you can uncheck / tick things you may not want it to undo and also the ability to scale down the list even further. Looking for an undo only relating to Thor, type Thor into a search box and only Thor undo's are displayed)
Ganged Faders on the Main Mixer
Show / Hide Transport Bar in the Main Mixer Window
Return to Unitary or 0 position for channels on the Main Mixer (All parameters for that channel or multiple channels in one fell swoop)
Being Able to Minimize the On-Screen Piano Keys
Labelling the Track Automatically Labels the Clip
Tab to Name Next Track on the Sequencer
Chord / Key Display on the Sequencer
Gain Knob on the Mix Channel in the Rack
Keyboard Shortcut to Create a Mix Channel in the Rack
Manual Input of Multi Mix Channel Creating in the Rack (2 digits - 99)
Manual Input of Pre-Click Amount (up to 8 bars)
EVERYTHING Automatable like things on NN-XT and dB and Pitch for audio, Spectrum EQ without having to go to the main mixer
Multiple Spectrum EQ's Display'able At Once
Multiple L/R Locators Available in the Sequencer (4 or 6 sets)
Browser Scrolling Options
Full Colour Pallet
128th Note and Beats Added to the Snap, possibly seconds
Not Having to Click Out of Quantize Mode to Delete a Clip, you can slice but can't delete?

That should be integrated into a 9.6 update in a couple of months and leave bigger things then for 10. Midi Editing (Note Displays, Shaded Rows in Correspondence with Your Midi Controller Key Depression, Mute / Unmute Notes, Group Editing, Join Notes on Same Row, Remember Last Note Length), Audio (Audiowarp, Tempo Detect, Fit to Tempo, Bounce to Mono in the Bounce Section, Nudging Audio By Seconds, Phase Locking of Audio, Punch In/Out, Auto Crossfading of clips with a Crossfade Button on the Sequencer, More Fade out curves / lines / options), Curved Automation, Time Markers, a freefloating Notepad available in all windows show / hide with an F key), then update devices:- Thor 2, Combinator 2, NN-XT 2.

Oh and another theme in 10 and the themes affect the mixer and you don't have to restart Reason to apply and being able to change the ink in the clips in the sequencer. I don't want much lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

aas

02 May 2017

1. Auto delay compensation for rack extension and plug-ins
  2. Better audio anti-aliasing
  3. VST3 support
  4. 3D realtime rack rendering
1. & 2. will lead Reason to definitively compete with professional DAW in my opinion.

raccoonboy

02 May 2017

aas wrote: 1. Auto delay compensation for rack extension and plug-ins
You not get the memo?

Karim
Competition Winner

02 May 2017

JerrelTheKing wrote:@rexbrewer They're done with instruments bro... new instruments with updates anymore.
Never say anymore ... bro..

They sang the same song for more than 10 years: "no vst support, no vst support, no vst support ...
..IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. ... "And yet the a-list nylon guitar is still an instrument.
But they will delegate to external coders as they are already doing
With props you can never really know.
And I no longer believe in anyone at this point.
It can be Thor 2.0.... Parsec 3... ?
Making forecasts is almost impossible
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Karim
Competition Winner

02 May 2017

raccoonboy wrote:
aas wrote: 1. Auto delay compensation for rack extension and plug-ins
You not get the memo?
:mrgreen:
Attachments
memo.jpeg
memo.jpeg (4.55 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

theshoemaker

02 May 2017

Q4 This year.

They make Reason scriptable and lift up some of the Automation Property restrictions. And introduce Combinator 2.0 We already saw some taste of combinator 2 by looking at the VST device.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

raccoonboy

02 May 2017

More than anything I'd love a drag and drop design device.

I.e. a combinator 2.0 cud have different types of knobs. I.e. rotaty switches or standard knobs, drop down menus. And this could either control other devices or send MIDI signals.

This way I could make for example, a simple controller for external hardware.

Oquasec

02 May 2017

What if instead of making another combinator, they let you combine the combinators but making it bigger each time like a blob.
Producer/Programmer.

chimp_spanner

02 May 2017

Really the only things I'd like to see (and I've submitted this through feature suggestion) are;

Folder Tracks
Device Visibility Zones/Groups
Audio Crossfading
Fader Control Groups

Just those changes alone would really make life a whole bunch easier for me. Oh, and maybe buttons to jump to rack from the sequencer, and the ability to arm multiple MIDI tracks at once :)

Jagwah

02 May 2017

Surely it wouldn't be asking too much to add video support

:shock: :wtf: :shock:

Oquasec

02 May 2017

Why add video support if it's not gonna function as a video editor :/
Like Videopad or WMM.
Producer/Programmer.

stephensmattlee

02 May 2017

I can definitely see them implementing video support in Reason 10. Plus a visual make-over for high scale retina displays and quite possibly updates for some of the built in synths. Subtraktor 2 or Thor 2 could definitely be a possibility. Then again they might release them as Rack Extensions to run alongside the original devices so as not to disrupt the backwards compatibility with the 'legacy' devices [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prabab

02 May 2017

Considering how Propellerhead is focusing on turning complex concepts into something more straightforward (as seen with Players), I'd expect Reason to have some sort of "mixing insights" tool implemented, maybe something similar to iZotope's Neutron.

It wouldn't really be that hard for them to implement some auto-fletcher-munson's-EQ for smoothing out sonically unbalanced recordings, and as far as dynamics go, I'm pretty sure that Kong's built-in transient designer already has some dynamics analyser built in which could be reprogrammed to achieve pre-programmed targets on buses.
Last edited by prabab on 02 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

ltbrunt00

02 May 2017

Would be awesome if you could run Propellerhead natively on Linux. That is the final frontier.

The only issue with that is getting VST's to work in Linux could be an issue. but it is a start.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

prabab

02 May 2017

ltbrunt00 wrote:The only issue with that is getting VST's to work in Linux could be an issue. but it is a start.
Well, WINE is an open source project and I'm pretty sure people had some success using it to load VSTs through other Linux-native DAWs.

Obviously it would be a rather major undertaking to have pieces of such complex code interwoven with the existing program, but an ability to have VSTs running on Linux isn't an impossibility.

dandandaaan

02 May 2017

Creativemind wrote:More workflow options for me (but think maybe should come in a point update and leave the big things for 10 (apart from midi editing, save that for 10)).

Sync'ing of Windows (Muting / Solo'ing / Order / Labelling) in real time
Sync'ing of Browsers (Rather annoying browsing audio patches in the rack then going to the sequencer and have to navigate again. I mean you can't drag audio into the rack so a bit annoying)
All Parameters read in correct values (Frequency = Hz, Volume = dB and Time = ms or maybe seconds)
Manual Parameter Inputs

An Undo Events List (Show / Hide with an F key and the ability to up the undo's from 300-999, also scale down the undo's in a tab where you can uncheck / tick things you may not want it to undo and also the ability to scale down the list even further. Looking for an undo only relating to Thor, type Thor into a search box and only Thor undo's are displayed)
Ganged Faders on the Main Mixer
Show / Hide Transport Bar in the Main Mixer Window
Return to Unitary or 0 position for channels on the Main Mixer (All parameters for that channel or multiple channels in one fell swoop)

Being Able to Minimize the On-Screen Piano Keys
Labelling the Track Automatically Labels the Clip
Tab to Name Next Track on the Sequencer
Chord / Key Display on the Sequencer
Gain Knob on the Mix Channel in the Rack
Keyboard Shortcut to Create a Mix Channel in the Rack
Manual Input of Multi Mix Channel Creating in the Rack (2 digits - 99)
Manual Input of Pre-Click Amount (up to 8 bars)

EVERYTHING Automatable like things on NN-XT and dB and Pitch for audio, Spectrum EQ without having to go to the main mixer
Multiple Spectrum EQ's Display'able At Once
Multiple L/R Locators Available in the Sequencer (4 or 6 sets)
Browser Scrolling Options
Full Colour Pallet
128th Note and Beats Added to the Snap, possibly seconds
Not Having to Click Out of Quantize Mode to Delete a Clip, you can slice but can't delete?
You have just identified like 99% of my bugbears with Reason. THIS! I have only two to add...

- MARKERS in the sequencer! They would behave just like the L/R locators but with an option to name them and attach a tempo/time signature change (rather than drawing and extending clips on the transport automation lane)
- Better MIDI clip handling/editing - there is nothing quite so frustrating as chopping up a MIDI clip and trying to select a note that is blue-d out because it is technically part of another clip. I have probably wasted HOURS trying to do simple MIDI edits in Reason.
singer/songwriter with electronic tendencies

http://pointsmusic.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/points_music

Logic / Ableton Live / Reason Rack / Nord Stage 2 / Moog Grandmother / Eurorack / Guitars, drums, toys

electrofux

02 May 2017

With the VST move it seems like Reason is going to pick up the competition to other DAWs more aggressively and therefore i think they will do some more adaption.

I think and hope they will come up with a way to compete with the Clip based Sequencing features DAWS like Ableton and Bitwig are based on and loved for.That would be a BIG feature worthy of a 10 upgrade.

If they are not adding a clip launcher then i think they will have to make VSTs work in Rewire Mode because that would give other DAWs users an incentive to use Reason as a Rack for all soundcreation. People who are used to clip based sequencing will otherwise not make the jump.

VST Midi is another thing. Generally VST support is a can of worms as you can see in the KVR discussion.

Another alltime "#1" Wish for many would obviously be the supercombinator.

Creativemind

02 May 2017

[quote="dandandaaan"]
- MARKERS in the sequencer! They would behave just like the L/R locators but with an option to name them and attach a tempo/time signature change (rather than drawing and extending clips on the transport automation lane)
- Better MIDI clip handling/editing - there is nothing quite so frustrating as chopping up a MIDI clip and trying to select a note that is blue-d out because it is technically part of another clip. I have probably wasted HOURS trying to do simple MIDI edits in Reason.[/quote

Yeah I want those as well but I thought it could wait till 10. Those features could be a point update or something. I want time markers for 2 purposes, labelling the appropriate areas of the track:- verse, bridge, chorus etc but also so I can import a track and analyse where things come in and drop out..i.e - "Bass stops here" & "Kick drum starts here" so I can better get a grip of dance music structure. For this purpose you would need them stackable, you'd need at least 6 imo.

As for the features I suggested, yeah I understand the premise originally was to keep Reason simple (thus more of a creative aspect to it) and not let Reason be too complex but all's I say to that is, "is Reason a toy to play around with sounds and go wow, listen to what whacky sound I made?" or "Is Reason supposed to be a fully fledged daw now or what?". if it's the latter, then those features are very much needed to improve workflow and time, and in my opinion those features enhance creativity anyway as without them you have to stop in your tracks while the creative juices are flowing and go on You Tube looking up how to sidechain (as I constantly forget, the wiring alludes me a little, and if you decide you wanted some other effect in your patch that's sidechained now, it alters the wiring or throws a spanner in the works and stops you in your tracks again) or You Tube how to do work arounds for features that could be quite easily implemented and get the job done quicker, then you can crack on with what you (or I in this case) intended to do, and that is to create a song, entirely in Reason, fully mixed, mastered and done without needing another daw.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Alkua

02 May 2017

Creativemind wrote:
Alkua wrote:Well, PH has done many good things for Reason lately: Graphic Pitch Corrector, Players, Convolution Reverb, Delay Compensation and VST. But there is still a lot to be done.

1. Improve the Sequencer.
2. Higher Resolution Graphic.
3. Track Folders
4. Kong Using Regular Size Device.
5. Native devices MKII
6. Video
What's Kong Using Regular Device?
You know kong has its own "mini FX device" inside (comp, EQ, Room Reverb, etc..). Instead, we can open RE or Native devices.

• Information