Reason The Board Game!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
pushedbutton

08 Feb 2015

I'd do a photoshop mockup but I'm  too excited to share the idea with you right now.
You'll laugh but...
What I actually want to make is a set of flashcards that can inspire the creative process and possibly be used as a common language that anyone can use to express the sort of thing they are trying to achieve.
Starting by randomly selecting one card from each of 3 decks, instruments, notes and effects, then load up and instrument that the card suggests, copy the midi data off the note card into a clip then apply the effect from the last card.
This randomly chosen group might sound dreadful but it's a starting point for talking about what would be better.
The cards would be minimalistic symbols and colours on one side and some tips to achieving the desired effect on the other.
I realise that this could get very complicated very quickly so I decided to talk to you guys cos you're awesome and stuff.

My work makes me think about this sort of stuff all the time but would anybody out in the real world see value in developing this idea?
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

3rd Floor Sound

09 Feb 2015

Because I tend to work solo it's not something that could work for me but it's a friggin awesome idea. Then again it sounds like something that could be done alone as well as a basic creative tool during writer's block.
º REFILLS 
º Youtube
º Twitter
º Facebook

pushedbutton

09 Feb 2015

Here's a rough draft of card 1 of 52 for the pattern cards.
I reckon 52 patterns, 52 instruments and 52 effects should do it.
1 down, 155 to go, then the tips on the other side, should keep me busy for a while.

I think I'll probably add a grid to make even more obvious.
Attachments
DraftCard1.jpg
DraftCard1.jpg (63.6 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.

pushedbutton

09 Feb 2015

Did I miss one? This is the sort of thing I was thinking could go on the back.
Attachments
DraftbackVardk.jpg
DraftbackVardk.jpg (124.36 KiB) Viewed 3523 times

Janvier

09 Feb 2015

Could be interesting to get me out of my comfort zone !  :t2018: :t2018:

pushedbutton

10 Feb 2015

I'm thinking that next draft would have coloured keys rather than just green so that the root note is always red and it follows the pattern on the front of the card, make sense?

selfdude

11 Feb 2015

Sounds fun, but Im too busy playing Cones of Dunshire to learn a new game.

Janvier

11 Feb 2015

pushedbutton wrote:I'm thinking that next draft would have coloured keys rather than just green so that the root note is always red and it follows the pattern on the front of the card, make sense?
Yes it makes sense. At the same time its teaching you something. Especially for those which are always struggling with chord progression.

pushedbutton

11 Feb 2015

Ssssh, I'm supposed to sound like I know what's going on!

weforgot...

12 Feb 2015

I would love this! Please keep moving with this.  Looks so fun. If you need help ask :D

pushedbutton

13 Feb 2015

weforgot... wrote:I would love this! Please keep moving with this.  Looks so fun. If you need help ask :D
Awesome, thanks for your support. Are you offering to do all the mind-numbing repetitive photoshop tasks that make you think just hard enough to keep you engaged but not challenged enough to be having fun or where you thinking of a more creative role?

jappe

13 Feb 2015

I love the idea!

I'm thinking of CRC card brainstorming when I read your post.

pushedbutton

13 Feb 2015

Cool, thanks for pointing this out, now when I present the idea it will look like I've given it some thought :)

pushedbutton

13 Feb 2015

Well that took a while, built some actions to speed things along so now I'm in technicolor for the next shopping session.
Attachments
MidiCardBkV3.jpg
MidiCardBkV3.jpg (129.08 KiB) Viewed 3350 times

challism

14 Feb 2015

Something to think about; if these cards will be the same size as standard playing cards, the piano keys are going to be extremely difficult to read.  Unless I am missing something.... is this going to be an actual physical board game or a computerized rendition of one?
This does sound like a fun idea.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

pushedbutton

14 Feb 2015

challism wrote: Something to think about; if these cards will be the same size as standard playing cards, the piano keys are going to be extremely difficult to read.  Unless I am missing something.... is this going to be an actual physical board game or a computerized rendition of one?
This does sound like a fun idea.
Dunno, I'd rather keep all that info in one place so maybe bigger than average cards. Yes I was thinking of a physical product.

pushedbutton

14 Feb 2015

Ta Daa
Can anyone spot any spelling mistakes?
Attachments
MidiCardOctaveDown.jpg
MidiCardOctaveDown.jpg (103.64 KiB) Viewed 2927 times

pushedbutton

15 Feb 2015

Does this one make sense?
Attachments
MidiCardOctaveDown.jpg
MidiCardOctaveDown.jpg (103.64 KiB) Viewed 2929 times

pushedbutton

15 Feb 2015

How would you show a canon progression? I'm not sure about this one. Any suggestions?

Attachments
MidiCardCanon.jpg
MidiCardCanon.jpg (97.92 KiB) Viewed 3285 times

pushedbutton

17 Feb 2015

OK, I'll do the thinking, you just look at the pretty pictures...

Attachments
MidiCardCanon1.jpg
MidiCardCanon1.jpg (97.94 KiB) Viewed 3249 times

Melody303

23 Mar 2015

Alternatively, you could grab two random cards from a deck of Cards Against Humanity and aim to write something (be it a single part, lyrics only, or a whole song) that matches the text on the cards. :P
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

pushedbutton

24 Mar 2015

I think you're confusing lyrical content with melody.

Melody303

24 Mar 2015

pushedbutton wrote:I think you're confusing lyrical content with melody.
Lyrical content was only one of the three options I suggested. :)
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

pushedbutton

24 Mar 2015

...as an alternative. But I'm not here to discuss semantics.
This sort of ties in with Project Double Rainbow, if you want more info I've got a post about it somewhere.
After further investigation somebody pointed out this...
http://www.hooktheory.com/hookpad/new
which seems to be a software version of the technique that I'm trying to visualise.

pushedbutton

07 May 2015

Just bumping this because it's not a dead idea yet.

• Information