How to tune kicks in Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
apostlethirteen

05 Sep 2015

My tuning abilities are horrible. According to the critics. Is there a better way to know?

Name: Ricky Neff
Reason 8.x.x - 9
:adapted: :re: :refill: :rt:

pjeudy

05 Sep 2015

Miles Static wrote:I think the best way of tuning a drum sound like a kick is to drop it into Kong and use the pitch knob to manually adjust the pitch (up or down) until you get it right where you want it.
Unless you are very good at using your ears...I wouldn't say it the "best" way. The NNXT to me is the best way. Also Keyfinder can help http://www.ibrahimshaath.co.uk/keyfinder/

Also while OP is using a VST host program like FL, why not just purchase Kick ? it's 37.85 US Dollar right now http://www.sonicacademy.com/KICK/
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

freeQlow

05 Sep 2015

Gorilla Texas wrote:Right now FL 12 is buggy as hell and studio one has noway of detecting pitch unless you use melodyne which the tools are mostly for vocals in a grid. So this brings me back to Reason's sequencer which I have medium knowledge of because i never use it. I dragged a kick wav on an audio track to take advantage of the tune tool hit play but no tuning info showed up. Is there some routing that needs to be done or does the tune tool only work for input signals?
Create a Kong
Drag your kick onto a Kong Pad
Click the drop menu/ down arrow at the bottom of Kong.
Should see a Mini NNXT with 4 blank channel canvases
2 Channel, 1 Bus, 1 Master
Each Channel has a drop menu/ down arrow.
Kong gives several ways to tune anything.
Channel/Per Pad
Depending on what sampler you use on each pad, you'll get plenty of channel play, 2 additional Kong Channel Inserts, 1 bus and 1 Master.

I have a habit picked up from the 808 Bass Drum programming.
I will often create 2-4 of the same Kick on a Redrum or Kong or any multi sampler. Tune/tone/pitch up or down each one a little different.

I have saved my own Kong Patches with the 808 for A through G. Each key has 6-16 different Bass Drum. If I find or create a new one without my Kong Patch Opened, I often bounce and loaf them to that Kong Patch.

yamguitar

09 Sep 2015

I'd say just turn the pitch knob until it sounds the best to you. You don't need perfect pitch to hear what YOU like, what sounds right. Who cares if it's dead on what a computer thinks is "perfect tuning" if it doesn't sound best to you? ...And frankly, the tuning for ANY drum is always gonna be a little subjective in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

challism

10 Sep 2015

Download a chromatic tuner onto your smart phone. Then just use that.
Alternatively, you could install a chromatic tuner on your computer and use that.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Last Alternative

11 Sep 2015

I never tune kicks. Used to. Now I just let my song play while I scroll thru kicks until I find the right thump. And now I have a HUGE selection of drums- acoustic & electric, which my kits are always a mix of the 2. The hardest part is getting a human feel but I've almost overcome that by having each component on its own Kong and modifying a bunch of the same samples slightly, unless I already different velocities of the same 1-shot. Then I still turn off snap and shift some hits a touch here & there.
Godspeed
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

kitekrazy

12 Sep 2015

apostlethirteen wrote:I would like a real solution to tuning drums, using neptune creates latency.
Couldn't you just record that one shot and go without Neptune?

freeQlow

12 Sep 2015

Last Alternative wrote:I never tune kicks. Used to. Now I just let my song play while I scroll thru kicks until I find the right thump. And now I have a HUGE selection of drums- acoustic & electric, which my kits are always a mix of the 2. The hardest part is getting a human feel but I've almost overcome that by having each component on its own Kong and modifying a bunch of the same samples slightly, unless I already different velocities of the same 1-shot. Then I still turn off snap and shift some hits a touch here & there.
Godspeed
Yes, if you get hung up on your "tuning" from go, it can be hard to find it.

If you know you got your structure and arrangement going, save that for the mix.

Sometimes you know it's the wrong sound in the right place. For me this is always in my cognitive and I'll spend time on the right sound later

apostlethirteen

19 Nov 2015

nooomy wrote:

Try my tutorial
Not much of a tutorial but I get what you are saying. Each key has its own set of frequencies. EQ work is all you need, not pitch adjusting, when tuning drums.
Furthermore, I do not "tune" my drums anymore. I only started doing it due to a critic, critics are envious parasites. If you do not know what envy really means, it usually means someone who wants to destroy something that is not theirs.

Reason 8.x.x - 9

apostlethirteen

19 Nov 2015

It is only for MacOs

pjeudy wrote:
Miles Static wrote:I think the best way of tuning a drum sound like a kick is to drop it into Kong and use the pitch knob to manually adjust the pitch (up or down) until you get it right where you want it.
Unless you are very good at using your ears...I wouldn't say it the "best" way. The NNXT to me is the best way. Also Keyfinder can help http://www.ibrahimshaath.co.uk/keyfinder/

Also while OP is using a VST host program like FL, why not just purchase Kick ? it's 37.85 US Dollar right now http://www.sonicacademy.com/KICK/

Reason 8.x.x - 9

pjeudy

19 Nov 2015

apostlethirteen wrote:It is only for MacOs

pjeudy wrote:

Sorry what is only for Mac OS ?
Sonic Academy Kick is PC that's the only time ived used it, Keyfinder I use on My PC.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

• Information