ASIO4ALL Crashes Reason every time I try to select it.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
2nd Prez

18 Jul 2015

Hi guys,

I am using Reason 5 and don't have record. I have downloaded the latest ASIO4ALL but can't select it in the audio option without the soundcard error mssg and then reason itself crashing..... The only reason I am trying to use an ASIO driver is because you apparently cannot access the microphone input option in Preferences--->Audio unless it is selected???? I really just want to mic in to Reason 5 without Record......

if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated thanks again

-2nd Prez

Theo.M

19 Jul 2015

Hmm some bad luck there.. reason here on windows is able to access all standard drivers that aren't asio. I do choose asio 4 all for low latency, and it works, but I am using R8.

First: what on board sound are you trying to access with asio4all??
Second: What version of windows?

third, you should definitely be able to use the mic in reason as even without record it has the sampler inputs doesn't it? So you should be able to get this to work.

Uninstall asio 4 all, check your control panel device manager and tell me the sound card, and then open reason and tell me what options it shows you, then we will go from there on getting asio 4 all to work again.

2nd Prez

19 Jul 2015

Thanks so much for your help!!!

I'm in Windows 7.

What do you mean by "on board sound"?
I am not familiar with sampler inputs but I may just not know about them, will research them while I wait for your reply :)

i uninstalled ASIO4ALL. now in my Device Manager it says

Sound video and game controllers
-------IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
-------Intel(R) Display Audio

Theo.M

19 Jul 2015

2nd Prez wrote:Thanks so much for your help!!!

I'm in Windows 7.

What do you mean by "on board sound"?
I am not familiar with sampler inputs but I may just not know about them, will research them while I wait for your reply :)

i uninstalled ASIO4ALL. now in my Device Manager it says

Sound video and game controllers
-------IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
-------Intel(R) Display Audio
What i meant was, what audio interface you were trying to use asio 4 all with. Now i have the answer, IDT, and i must confess, that's one I haven't heard of before! A quick google shows quite a few issues with asio4all and IDT..

as far as sampler inputs, there is no way to record audio tracks in reason 5 without record. But if you load redrum, nnxt, or kong you will see a little "waveform" button you can press to record audio directly into the device. And that should be able to access your on board mic.

What i need to do to help is do some more research on IDT and asio4 all and get back to you. In the meantime, if you open reason, what choices does it give you, and does it allow you to choose the mic input to record?

2nd Prez

19 Jul 2015

I don't have an interface I was just wanting to record a usb mic straight into Reason.
and reason only allows you to choose the mic input to record if you have an ASIO driver selected :[

I have found this https://www.propellerheads.se/download/record/ Record for Reason 5 download on propellerhead's website. Do you know if it will work for me? I am currently downloading in case it will!!! :)

GeiddE

19 Jul 2015

I run WIN7 and WIN 8 with ASIO 4all when I dont have an interface

Are you running you tube or another audio app while trying to run reason ?
Because that'll do it -

eusti

19 Jul 2015

Reason 5 as far as I remember doesn't do any audio in stuff unless you are trying to record a sample into the NNXT or so...
You will need Record to have real audio capabilities (like a normal DAW)...

https://www.propellerheads.se/press/101 ... able-today

Not sure what Record is going to cost you these days... But it might be good to try to look into upgrading to v.8...
But maybe I'm misunderstanding things here...

D.

Arsenic

20 Jul 2015

Strangely enough, I recently stumbled upon one of my early Reason songs from when I was trialling Reason 5 that had a partial vocal line in it. My work-around for this was to play back the song (very quietly) over headphones to give me the cue and use the windows sound recorder app to record the individual lines of the vocals. Each line was saved to it's own .wav file. When I had the whole lot recorded, I loaded them all up into an NNXT and set them up on sequential keys. Then it was a matter of drawing midi notes in the Sequencer to trigger each vocal line at the appropriate time.

The results were "OK" And having the individual lines allowed me to trim each one down so there were no silences at the start or end. I guess at the time it was a case of necessity being the mother of invention. I certainly wouldn't want to be messing around like that nowadays with Reason 6/7/8 available, so I really would strongly advise the OP to save for the upgrade.

eusti

20 Jul 2015

Nice workaround, Arsenic!

D.

Arsenic

20 Jul 2015

eusti wrote:Nice workaround, Arsenic!

D.
It was Ok as a solution at the time. The benefit was the ability to reuse the same lines just by re-triggering that note

• Information